Better than I thought it would be

RogueElement

Reaction score
I picked up my new car this morning after a 9 week wait and its better than I thought it would be.

Looks better than the configurator photo. Sounds better than I feared it might (nice subtle whoosh from the turbo), very quiet at high speed, stable as hell and quick enough to boot!

I like it more than our other drive (Nissan 350z) normal car when you want it to be, but also my first impression is that this little car is going to be lots of fun to drive once I get to know it better.

Woooo Hooooo!

What you like more on the A3 TDI when compared to the 350Z? The build quality? The quattro? Certainly not the engine and fun factor... Letus know more about that...

Pedro

mmm i wouldnt have got quattro - a normal FWD 170PD would be quicker, still a lovely car!

I test drove the S3, loved it, bought it, and now I have it, it is so much better than I remember! I guess a 20min test drive doesn't give you a real feel for the car.

@Newbiecrg

I'm not saying the 350z is a bad car, but it tramlines like hell, wears you out when you drive it (very heavy steering, heavy clutch, heavy gearbox) and is a nightmare in the wet (Potenza's suck). Driving around town in it is an effort not to run into the back of people and keep the thing under 30mph. Really its not practical at all. Its a track car, nothing else. Its great fun on a hot day on the A82 (Glasgow to Fort William) or a run down the M74 (Glasgow to Carlisle) but not much fun for anything else. You can never really push it... ever... and it leaves me feeling disappointed that I can't drive it properly except on a track (which I haven't done cos its my partners car).

It goes without saying that the build quality etc is far superior in the Audi.
And quattro > RWD (I love how it sticks round bends)

@Vertigo1

No I didn't, test drove the 140PS 2WD, Glasgow Audi didn't have a 170q available, so I took a chance and ordered it on the bet that it would be better than the 1402WD.

Very good! I just think comparing two completely different cars is a bit strange. Of course the A3 will be more pratical, easier to drive in town and go shopping and the diesel torque will make it a more manageable car to drive all around.... it was designed for that!

The Nissan by other hand was not designed with praticality, town driving in mind... It is a proper drivers car and wants to be driven accordingly...

Pedro

All I said was that I prefer it to our other car. I didn't mean to turn it into some kind of bizarre A3 vs 350z thread.

RogueElement said:
All I said was that I prefer it to our other car. I didn't mean to turn it into some kind of bizarre A3 vs 350z thread.

hehe, you best watch yourself on this forum, they will have your words twisted before you know it ;)

Glad you are loving some A3 action :sex:

I hear what you are saying ref the practicality and ease of driving a 2.0tdi, I love my S3 but really enjoy the laziness of my wifes 2.0tdi DSG and on a long run it is the better car for obvious reasons like fuel consumption.

Enjoy the new motor and the quattro will no doubt be particularly useful with those scottish winters.

I think I've converted someone already

I gave my mate at work a go (he has a 2.0T Astra Coupe) and he was shocked at how quick it was for a 2.0 diesel.

When I told him I got 40+ mpg on a 40 mile trip (half motorway at 80mph and half very twisty country roads) he said that on a recent run down the exact same route he only got 28mpg. Later on today I found him looking up how much his car is worth....