Door dent protector

• Thread starter Deleted member 22276
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 22276

After a woman in her BWM parked VERY close to me today not only did I take her number plate just in case! I wondered if a magnetic door protector exists...

It does: www.doordefender.com

Its a pretty smart idea, I think I'll get a couple for those occations where you have to squeeze into a tight parking space etc. I'd cry if someone put a dent in my new baby!

The other problem is lining it up with the doors on the car next to you. Front doors aren't much of a problem but most bad dings come from rear doors, as their shape means the top of the door tends to stick out plus the fact they're often opened by little brats who just fling them open the moment the car stops. Whilst you might be able to line up your defenders with these doors, what happens when the car next to you leaves and is replaced by another before you return?

Vertigo1 said:
The other problem is lining it up with the doors on the car next to you. Front doors aren't much of a problem but most bad dings come from rear doors, as their shape means the top of the door tends to stick out plus the fact they're often opened by little brats who just fling them open the moment the car stops. Whilst you might be able to line up your defenders with these doors, what happens when the car next to you leaves and is replaced by another before you return?

This would be mainly for work, where we have allocated parking spaces in a very tight underground carpark so I'm usually parked next to the same person. I also had another thought, are the S3 door panels aluminium? if they are it wont work.

magnetic?!?! this won't work ... as said above they will be rip off the first day you put them on.

Nice idea, although not very practical. Thanks for sharing this.

Don't get me started on parking dings!!

If only people took a little care and had a little RESPECT for other peoples property we wouldn't have this problem.

At the moment I am going through the 'park in the most distance space possible' where nobody else is parked phase - much to my Wife's annoyance!

Roll on ding #1 (it's inevitable I know).

Rant over..

i hear your pain s3mike, my misses curses me everytime i park miles away, its ammusing at work because im usually first in with no designated parking spots, by the time i leave there is usually 2 other a3's parked next to me, owners with the same idea,

its like audi v bmw where i work, i dont think anything else is allowed in the car park :)

Just found 2 tiny new dings on my cars drivers side, the only place its been is the dealers, where there are so many cars with very little space.
I wash my car every week & add a layer of Zaino sealant, so i know every little mark, so now added these to my mental list.

They come with a wire security wire to 'help' prevent theft.

I would be more worried about the damage they would do to the paintwork.

Everyone keeps going on about 'two bucket' methods etc when washing a car to stop spreading the grit over panels. Just imagine how many scratches your beautiful paintwork would sustain using these.

s3mike said:
At the moment I am going through the 'park in the most distance space possible' where nobody else is parked phase - much to my Wife's annoyance!

Roll on ding #1 (it's inevitable I know).

Sounds like me too, but why is it when you come back to your car, there is always someone parked next to you, despite all the spaces around?

Been on TV for a while, but always amuses me :

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EBtm55tiy40

Good tip is to always park in an end space - that is one nearest the end of a row of spaces, might be by a kerb or a bush or something... but then you can take your time and park as close as you can to the kerb on one side leaving plenty of space on the other side. This is what i do.

stan said:
Just found 2 tiny new dings on my cars drivers side, the only place its been is the dealers, where there are so many cars with very little space.
Although they never used to, my dealer now inspects my car for any damage when I drop it off and I then make sure I check it thoroughly when I collect it so if there's any new damage, they'll be fixing it FOC!

Vertigo1 said:
Although they never used to, my dealer now inspects my car for any damage when I drop it off and I then make sure I check it thoroughly when I collect it so if there's any new damage, they'll be fixing it FOC!

My dealer completes the same form you do when recieving a courtesy car but for my car. Its the only way to prove damage was done by them.

Sussex A3 3.2 Quattro said:
My dealer completes the same form you do when recieving a courtesy car but for my car. Its the only way to prove damage was done by them.

:laugh: Lol. Don't bank on it!!

My dealer has the same form, but they live in their own fantasy world where they can damage your car and then update the form after you signed it. "Look sir, it was like that when you left it, you signed the form so that's proof"...

Always take your own photos in the dealer forecourt when you drop it off...

powerplay said:
:laugh: Lol. Don't bank on it!!

My dealer has the same form, but they live in their own fantasy world where they can damage your car and then update the form after you signed it. "Look sir, it was like that when you left it, you signed the form so that's proof"...

Always take your own photos in the dealer forecourt when you drop it off...
I get a copy and they also keep a copy (both signed- same as the courtesy car) so no amendments can occur.

do you realy take photos as you leave it? I mean they surely wouldn't necessarily show up any minor scratches would they??

I thought i was fussy but i havent quite gone that far just yet!

steve184 said:
do you realy take photos as you leave it? I mean they surely wouldn't necessarily show up any minor scratches would they??

I thought i was fussy but i havent quite gone that far just yet!

Well with a high-enough resolution camera, eg 6mp+, I think you'd be surprised at what the camera will pick up.

However the last time I took pics (when I had the first service) it was not really in case I needed to refer back to them, but so they can see I am serious about them taking care of my property - hopefully preventing anything from occuring in the first place!

steve184 said:
Good tip is to always park in an end space - that is one nearest the end of a row of spaces, might be by a kerb or a bush or something... but then you can take your time and park as close as you can to the kerb on one side leaving plenty of space on the other side. This is what i do.
And me too. I do exactly this at work, with the nearside door mirror angled down slightly to watch for the kerb.

Parking well away from everyone else doesn't always work though. I pulled up at Wickes in St. Albans once, and found a run of spaces at the end of the car park so picked the middle bay and put the Sportback there. Came back to find some w**ker had parked right next to me in his Corsa van and - deliberately I reckon - opened his door into mine. He should thank me though: it took a few minutes to convince the missus to leave it and get back into our car without keying his.

I have had this parking problem now for nearly 10 years. It started back in 1998 when I bought a new GTI 1.8T. The family call a good parking space a Golf space no matter what car we are in!
I even know where the wide spaces are for most of the places we go. I reckon a walk from the far side of a car park is good for you - at least that is what I tell my boys!
The problem got worse about 6 months ago when the S3 arrived. I trust no body. Just been for a blast tonight, out of the garage, 50 miles then back in the garage but only after wiping off the dead moths etc.
It's a bad affliction but I just can't help it Doctor!!

aarrgghh, prt57