Can I justify 30k on an S3?

consilio

Up the owls!
Reaction score
Boys and girls,

I am 90% sure I am going to place an order for an S3, with a few added options. My only issue is that I cant help thinking that there is something better I could be doing with the money rather than blowing it to some degree on a car.

:hubbahubba:

So, I was wondering if anyone here would share the following info, just to check that i'm not crazy

Annual salary?
Cost of S3 finance a month?
Spare cash per month after mortgage, bills, S3, fuel etc (everything)?
Any regrets?

Thanks

to be honest i think splashing out 30k on a hatchback is crazy:faint: well unless u can afford it, which u can. but if i had 30k to spend i think ill spend a little bit more and go for the new bmw coupe or the s5! but thats just me:rockwoot:

i wouldnt spend 30k on a S3

i would buy a 3 series bmw, or Z4 M or S5 and maybe the new M3

but the new m3 cost 50k. thats quite a price gap! lol

consilio said:
Boys and girls,

I am 90% sure I am going to place an order for an S3, with a few added options. My only issue is that I cant help thinking that there is something better I could be doing with the money rather than blowing it to some degree on a car.

:hubbahubba:

So, I was wondering if anyone here would share the following info, just to check that i'm not crazy

Annual salary?
Any regrets?

Thanks
I thought long and hard about that, eventually opted to order the S3 (I have been driving my 2.0FSI A3 for the last 3.5 years, lovely but not massivly quick).

I've had the S3 for 2 days now, and I'm so glad I got it! I totally love it!

Good points:
-Fooking fast!
-Pretty good mileage for a performance car
-Very Moddable (350+bhp with little outlay + quattro to back it up)
-Very good build quality
-Looks awesome
-Good residuals
-Very classy (the chicks dig it!)

Bad points:
-You can go faster for your money (e.g. Evo or Sti)
-If you can afford it, you could jump up to an RS4 or S5 for an extra 10-20k(I couldn't)
um.. ok now I'm stuck!

Basically, it's a very neat package of performance, practicality, and class. I'm very please with it :)

consilio said:
Boys and girls,

Annual salary?
Any regrets?

Thanks

are you asking what other people earn per annum who own an S3?? Does that really matter mate? Its all down to whether you can afford it at whatever stage of life you're at.

If you are paying cash (30k) then it maybe sounds like you have saved this money up. If you are happy to spend it on a car and saved it for this alone then thats one thing and I would say go for it.

If you are bit hesitant and thinking it maybe better put into a property then you have a proper dilemma. I think 30k is a lot for a hot hatch, an it will not be an investment, and yes you can get faster for much less. My friend just bought a 5yr old C32 AMG, 50,000 miles on clock, FMSH, mint condition for 16k. Its fast and looks great, approx 354bhp. Have a play on autotrader to look at options. If you have that money saved to spend you can probably do better unless you have your heart set on the S3.

cooky

Hi,
I went through the same dilemma.

I previously had a Leon Cupra R which was a good car that I enjoyed but I had always hankered after the S3 ( old shape ) but couldn't really afford it at the time.

Looking for new cars I decided I needed something reasonably practical for trips to the airport, shopping, holidays etc. My Wife has an S2000 so not really any use in that respect ( not sure how she ended up with the open-top RWD roadster and I ended up with the practical hatchback! ).

I still wanted a quick car and looked at various including all the usual hot hatches and also BMWs. The new Leon Cupra was quick but I didn't like the interior quality or exterior looks much.

Stuff like the 350z, RX-8, Elise were ruled out on practicallity grounds and I'm not sure I could live with the in-your-face styling of an WRX STi or Evo. My brother had an EVO VIII for a while and it was fantastic to drive but drank petrol, had to be serviced every 4.5k and encouraged any driver to instantly become a lunatic when behind the wheel ( easy recipe for a driving ban ! ).

The R32 didn't really appeal and so onto the S3. I was immediately impressed with the service at my Audi dealer, accomodating, helpful and attentive - a nice change after multiple car dealers ignoring me or being busy doing other things and not even bothering to say "I'll be with you in a minute".

So what else, well it felt fast, well made and had all the options I wanted available ( albeit at a price ! ).

It's a lot of money and probably not worth 8k more than a lot of it's hot-hatch rivals but I have no regrets. If I hadn't bought the S3 I would always be thinking I should have.

Only problem now is my front windows / doors are both creaking ( like many others have reported ! ).

Oh and I tried out the adaptive lights for the first time yesterday ( first time I've been out at night ! ) and they are excellent. You can really see them turn to give much better illumination of corner exits.

If you can still afford your house, holidays, lifestyle and the S3 without too much sacrifice then go for it! You only live once.

It is crazy to pay 30k for an S3. If you have those doubts the S3 is not the car for you, you will regret you didn't get a different (probably more upmarket) car...

For me and other its a crazy thing that makes sense, but it is your call...

Pedro

I also can't believe people spend £30K on an S3.
It's just not enough metal for your money,IMO.
I suppose it boils down to speed.
If you value speed above all else,go for the S3.
However,as with big motorbikes,I don't believe many/any S3 owners get the chance to drive around at full throttle.
Which begs the question,why bother ?
Why not make do with less power,but use all of it more often ?
FWIW,if I were given £30K to spend I'd be like a kid in a sweet shop,but a 3 door hatch (no matter how fast) wouldn't even make the short list.
I'm thinking I'd probably go for a specced-up BMW 3/5 series.
I carry people a lot,so 4 doors are a minimum.

No way is a new S3 worth £30k in my book. If i had £30k to spend on an audi, I'd be looking now for a year old S4 Avant or in a years time for a year old S5.

I know I wouldn't spend £30k on a small hatchback. To me, at the end of the day if you are doubting that you should be spending a certain amount of money on something, then you probably shouldn't be buying it. If you can afford it, and you want it and are happy to pay that much, then go for it. If you are 'pushing it' to afford it, or you're just not sure it's worth that much, then it probably isn't worth that much to you.

How about £30K for an S3 sportback ?
I'd still think it was a lot of money,but I'd probably find it a bit easier to swallow.
It's the 3 door thing,for me,mainly.
£30K on a car that passengers have to clamber in and out of is not acceptable.

Depends on your point of view I guess and what you need the car for.

A 3.2TT R with options was the same price as my S3 with options. Is the TT more of a car? It's a roadster but the interior quality, performance, handling etc are pretty similar.

The Imprezza Sti / Evo are also around the same price and while they are quicker they are both turbocharged four cylinder cars, the 4WD might be different ( torsen based or whatever ) but they don't have the same quality feel for me ( even if it is only perceived ).

An S2000 is the same price new, it's 4 cylinder, similar peformance but happens to be RWD and convertible - having both in our household I don't see why the S2000 is worth more, it's more fun to drive but the S3 is better in many other ways.

How much did the original S3 cost when it came out?

bowfer said:
How about £30K for an S3 sportback ?
I'd still think it was a lot of money,

A mate of mine has just picked up a totally loaded mint 2.5 year old 645i for 28.5k. Put the two side by side and the S3 looks decidedly sad.

Cupramax said:
A mate of mine has just picked up a totally loaded mint 2.5 year old 645i for 28.5k. Put the two side by side and the S3 looks decidedly sad.

Really ??
Blimey.
Well done him.
Some car.

True, but comparing a used car with a new one is hardly fair.

The BMW was probably 60k new ( if not more ), is it worth 30k more than an S3?

Who knows..

The 6 series has probably done the bulk of it's depreciation though.
Whereas the S3 has still to suffer it.
I never knew you could get a 2 year old 6 series for under £30K,but Autotrader has a good few of them.
Well impressive.

I'm not a fanatic and understand all points of view.

In then end buying superfluous things like a fast car is a buy where emotion plays an important role, no matter how hard we try to rationalise it! The question of making sense is a personal one and only you can answer that for you as people will have their different opinions, all valid, but personal.

Personally, I had £30k, I wanted the S3 and that was it! I don't really care what others would do with my money or if they think it's a good or bad buy. For me (personally and without trying to convince anyone) spending £30k in any other available car at the time was not even considered. It's like spending £1000 pounds on a nice watch, some say it is a lot of money, other say it is good... a cheaper watch will also tell you the time... options, personal views....

I'm not trying to confuse you but I really believe mate that this is really your call, and you have to decide what you would really like to have, don't let me or others decide what to do with your money as might not be what you want in the end...

Pedro

It's a lovely car but I think I'd want at least a couple more cylinders for 30k.

For me it was a little bit of a coinsidence. I was going for the S5, and was extremely close to order one. Ever since I saw the first A5 I was hooked on the looks. After much hard thinking I came to the conclusion that the S5 really wasn't worth it, judging the very little driving I do (10 miles a day). I then found the S3 standing in a corner, I test drove it and it had me drooling.

To me it's not the most beatiful car ever built, but the interior is superior to most of what I've seen, and the way it handles roads is amazing. Since it's a 2 litre engine I don't need to fill the tank every month either, so quite decent economy wise for a sports car. Also, my trade-in car covered about 30% of the price.

It really is a difficult one. And in the end, you are the only one who can really decide.

I must admit though, that when you can get a nicely specced A3 for 20.5K (my eagerly awaited Sportback Sport 2.0TDI for example;) ) I would find it hard to justify another 50% on top for the S3. I think, like others have said, I would expect a V6 (or even V8) for that premium. I guess I really am getting old now, because I can't help thinking that in real-world motoring there won't be too many times you can use the extra performance of the S3 anyway.

On the other hand - nice car though - go for it :hubbahubba:

Has that helped ?!

Is the S3 worth 30k? I didnt think so - but I got one anyway because I loved the whole package, although i got a cheaper one closer to 25 than 30 ;)

It depends what you are lookign for, you can get 2 more cylinders in a VW for less money, but the R32 feels cheaper than the Audi, I test drove a new Civic, and a great fun bit of kit, and i believe won some hot hatch awards now - but as cheap as It was I am so glad I got the S3 - I would get bored of driving everywhere at 90000000000000000000000 rpm.

It all comes down to what you want. Any Audi A3 is expensive when compared to a Vauxhall, the VX dealerservice cant be worse than Audis unless they try hard, the last 10 or 15 Vauxhalls I had have all been reliable, but they dont have the Audi 'feel' - and thats where your money is going.

As for your questions, I try not to work if I can +++

Rs4's are dipping to 38K in the trade now!...
I like the S3 but its a 27K car tops I would say and thats specced. Its not what the old one was and I hate the fact its jus body kitted standard panels,standard interior and seats... bad show!...
Took the golf edition 30 out for a day the other week and nearly bought it.. £21k with spec and the same engine as the S3 , just detuned (and FWD!)..
Think the TT is more stylish that the S3; it kind of used to be the other way around?!

this is all music to my ears... im really glad the S3 has the price tag of 30k and im glad that some people think its a waste of cash. All adds up to making it out of some peoples price ranges therefore making it that more exclusive on the roads and should also help with the second hand value. I heard this all before when I got the Mkiv R32, it was quite expensive when I bought it and after all it is only a Golf, but I never regretted buying it once, and when I came to sell it, I got what I wanted for it no questions asked.

At the end of the day its a car, and I think most people on here will agree there is a lot more to buying a car then just the price tag, the extras and the aftersales. If you really like cars it sometimes doesnt matter what people say, if you want it you will get it!

I am already looking forward to my next car, but for now I am very pleased with the S3 and have no regrets what so ever.

Now I was never much of a fan of the old S3, but had a couple of TTs!!!

I like the understated look of the S3.

I must admit I was very tempted by the Ed30 - Ihad a MK4 anni and was keen on the MK5 version. I felt a bit let down by the MK5 interior and VWs quoted residuals on teh car.

i think he golf looks nicer than the s3 and the bodykit 'add on' on the s3 not really 'understated' but as my local audi sales guys put it, 'styling by halfords'!..
Sorry , dont mean to offend as it drives very well actually in it standard form and tuned must be a real blast. just not i expected the 'new s3' to be like.
The residuals are good though and book i strong right now so there you go!.

No
For that money i could buy both my cars, my bike, and still have enough left over for the boat i want now i'm going to be living by the seaside.

Mmm good thread this but the way Ive justified it (in my mind - car will be on order v shortly when I make up my mind on bucket seats or not!), is that for me it has to be 4wd, and be over 250 BHP while returning at least 27 mpg and not be in the top car tax band. Yes I know can go quicker for less cash but already done that with Subaru's. Dont fancy the silly service intervals and the interior on a Evo.

So that leaves me with an S3
Unless someone can think of any others ??

PS oh and no more than 1 year old !!

Richard

Funky_Junky said:
Buy it, then i'll buy it off you in 3-4 years when its worth half that :)
That's spot on. The S3 is a fab car but not for £30k. In a year's time it's likely that a few mint low milers will be available for around £25k, and anything slightly worse will fall off from that. Let someone else take the hit for you.

rsarjantson said:
Mmm good thread this but the way Ive justified it (in my mind - car will be on order v shortly when I make up my mind on bucket seats or not!), is that for me it has to be 4wd, and be over 250 BHP while returning at least 27 mpg and not be in the top car tax band. Yes I know can go quicker for less cash but already done that with Subaru's. Dont fancy the silly service intervals and the interior on a Evo.

Richard
Go for the buckets if you arn't fat, they are very comfortable and look fantastic, very pleased I ordered them :)

Are they worth the 1600 (or whatever they cost) extra...? well, it is a lot, but if I was to order the car all over again they would definitley be spec'ed.

rsarjantson said:

Richard
Your criteria are spot-on, and exactly what mine were when considering the S3. What other car, prestige or otherwise, gives you this sort of performance for the money and is not in the top tax band? Answers on a postcard, please!

Applying the same criteria, the only thing I would consider replacing the S3 with is the forthcoming TT-S, which could be a gem with all the S3 hardware and lighter weight, quite possibly plus Magnetic Ride....:hubbahubba:

BTW, I had the same dilemma about bucket seats. Went for them in the end - a great decision, they are brilliant, so much so I don't know why I agonised over it so much! Get 'em, you will find yourself regretting it if you don't.

benw123 said:
That's spot on. The S3 is a fab car but not for £30k. In a year's time it's likely that a few mint low milers will be available for around £25k, and anything slightly worse will fall off from that. Let someone else take the hit for you.

I think it all comes down to your financial situation, if you can afford it, and you like it, get it. Simple as that. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford the S3 and it not have any impact in my lifestyle, I like the car, so I bought it. If I'm very happy with it I'll keep it for 2-3 years, if not I'll change it, its not as if you're getting married! ;)

If you can't afford it, and you like it, wait for a 2nd one in a year or two (although in a year or two you might have more cash with which to buy a nice new car!)

Spook said:
Your criteria are spot-on, and exactly what mine were when considering the S3. What other car, prestige or otherwise, gives you this sort of performance for the money and is not in the top tax band? Answers on a postcard, please!

Applying the same criteria, the only thing I would consider replacing the S3 with is the forthcoming TT-S, which could be a gem with all the S3 hardware and lighter weight, quite possibly plus Magnetic Ride....:hubbahubba:

BTW, I had the same dilemma about bucket seats. Went for them in the end - a great decision, they are brilliant, so much so I don't know why I agonised over it so much! Get 'em, you will find yourself regretting it if you don't.

I love the logic in this post...exactly how I made the decision and the TT-S is also the only car I would consider changing the S3 for, unless I could get a 335d for peanuts...this car is costing me £450 a month just on fuel! :scared2:

CJP80 said:
I love the logic in this post...exactly how I made the decision and the TT-S is also the only car I would consider changing the S3 for, unless I could get a 335d for peanuts...this car is costing me £450 a month just on fuel! :scared2:

Ouch! Whats that, about 2500 miles a month?

2,200 average over 6 months. 70 miles a day round trip to work. Will be buying a banger soon for the commute and the s3 for extracurricular!

rsarjantson said:

Richard

My S3? Be selling soon to make way for a new car - 6 months old, 5k miles...... good saving on new :D

siu00adg said:
I think it all comes down to your financial situation, if you can afford it, and you like it, get it. Simple as that. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford the S3 and it not have any impact in my lifestyle, I like the car, so I bought it. If I'm very happy with it I'll keep it for 2-3 years, if not I'll change it, its not as if you're getting married! ;)

If you can't afford it, and you like it, wait for a 2nd one in a year or two (although in a year or two you might have more cash with which to buy a nice new car!)

Lol I couldn't disagree more. I'd only buy a brand new car if I had won the lottery or someone else was paying. Why get raped on the list price just so your the first person to drive it? Are people really that bothered about the plate (then most off here put a private one on :confused: ) or the absolute specific spec? Anyway, used v. new is a whole other debate, but even though I can afford an S3, I'll still wait until they are a few years old.

The911SC said:
i think he golf looks nicer than the s3 and the bodykit 'add on' on the s3 not really 'understated' but as my local audi sales guys put it, 'styling by halfords'!..
Sorry , dont mean to offend as it drives very well actually in it standard form and tuned must be a real blast. just not i expected the 'new s3' to be like.
The residuals are good though and book i strong right now so there you go!.
I'm not really sure how a slighlty modified S-Line grill, subtle side skirts and a rear diffuser look like they came from Halfords.

It's pretty much the same as the RS4 apart from the flared arches which I always thought looked a bit over the top anyway.