New A4

Amchlolor

Reaction score
Anyone privvy to info over and above the rather vague Audi preview ?
With specific regard to the 143bhp diesel.
Totally new engine ?
Prices ?

Only yhing i've heard from a mate who had one of the car magazines this week is the fact that they were on about new prices on diesel and that they are going to be about 1k cheaper than the current model........ I hold my breath....... but someone call a Paramedic for me :d

Seems to be the norm for manufacturers to claim the new model will be cheaper than the existing one.
Honda are already claiming it for the 2008 Accord.
VW are claiming it for the 2008 Golf.
As you say,we'll wait and see !
No 170bhp diesel option on the A4,unless I'm reading it wrong.
Just a 143bhp,144g/km diesel,which doesn't tally with any existing engine.
Hopefully,a whole new diesel to compete with BMW/Honda.

Looking at it it looks as though they're going to run on the 2.0lt, 2.7lt and 3.0lt diesel engines giving the diffent bhp's. I belive they are new engines but can't say they catagorically are.

Yeah,looks like they're going with 143bhp 2.0 diesel to start with.
I s'pose they may introduce a higher output one later,but that's ok.
I'd rather take the reduced Co2 (and tax) of the 143bhp engine,then chip it.
'Backdoor' way of getting more power without paying more BIK tax !

I believe the 2.0 is a completely new common rail engine. Audi are obviously pitching it against BMW's 318D baseline engine (which is actually a 2.0) and also gives 143bhp.

The 2.7 and 3.0 are existing engines, but are already up-to-date CR designs.

Engine choice is usually pretty limited on the first release. I'm sure there will be more choice by the time the Avant is launched.

I believe they're also coming out with a 200bhp 2.0 TDI to compete with BMW

Any guesses what a chipped 143bhp version would give ?
Possibly higher gains than present,with it being common rail ?

My guess is that it should easily give 175bhp to match the 320D

(The 200bhp 323D is twin turbo).

I was thinking around 180bhp,mfspen,so we're on the same wavelength.
That would do me,if the company car taxman thinks it's still 143bhp !

Here are some details of the new 2.0TDI engine to be used in the A4 - more than I've seen in UK mags so far...

Powerful and refined – the 2.0 TDI
The four-cylinder TDI engine, with a displacement of 1968 cc, is a new interpretation of the strengths of the TDI concept. The piezo injectors of its common-rail fuel injection system operate at a maximum pressure of 1800 bar. Other innovative design features relate to the turbocharger, the toothed belt camshaft drive and the geometry of the pistons.
This two-litre engine develops 105 kW (143 bhp) and has the powerful peak torque of 320 Nm between 1750 and 2500 rpm – figures that explain why the new Audi A4 can accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 9.4 seconds and reach a top speed of 215 km/h. When combined with the six-speed manual gearbox, the 2.0 TDI is content with an average fuel consumption of 5.5 l/100 km, in which case the 65-litre fuel tank provides an action radius of more than 1,100 kilometres. The four-cylinder TDI can also be ordered with the multitronic continuously variable transmission. In both cases the front wheels are driven. The 2.0 TDI also outperforms the Euro 5 exhaust emission limits. Thanks to improved thermodynamics, it can operate at a higher rate of exhaust gas recirculation, so that untreated emissions of oxides of nitrogen are lower. The cooler combustion process, with less oxygen present, would normally have an adverse effect on efficiency, but by careful attention to detail the development engineers have managed to transform this into an improvement in fuel consumption.

For the full article, included some details of the V6 TDI engines to be used have a look at this site;

http://www.audiworld.com/news/07/b8-a4-first-look/

Oh gowd,I've just noticed something.
It says the new 143bhp diesel is fitted with a DPF.
That scares me a bit !

There is a detailed brochure kicking around which gives all the prices, specs, options etc. I picked one up a few weeks back at a dealer who had a LHD one in the showroom (Tonbridge Audi in Kent). I was very impressed with the car, and you can now get in the back without having to remove your legs.

The new 2.0TDI is common rail and the 3.0TDI is now the same as in the A5, with slightly improved power output over the existing A4 version.

I priced up a 3.0TDI SE (only spec available at the moment) with a few extras on it like BOSE, Bluetooth but not silly stuff like dynamic damping control (!) and it came to about £37k!

You can also go to Audi website and its all on the configurator (saloon only so far).