Removing Rear Wiper Stalk

B

Boydie

It has decided to go floppy lol

Usually the rear wiper arm is tight because of the spring but since yesterday it is flopping about the place and will not wipe the rear window properly!

I tried quickly yesterday to remove it but no luck and I couldn't get the boot card off either after unscrewing the screws

Any have a diagram or advice please on how to remove the arm or card?

thanks

wiper stalk or wiper arm? wiper stalk to me is the stalk behind the steering wheel :)

usually remove all the screws, and just give the boot trim a good pull and it will come off, its on spring type clips holding it in... im talking about the 8L shape, and
the same on my Ibiza

Reading the post I think he is referring to the rear wiper arm and not the control stalk on the steering column.

If thats the case then you don't need to remove the panel on the boot lid. You only need to do that if you want to get at the wiper motor. (If you do want to do that then after removing the two screws then it is simply held on with clips. Get your fingers under a corner and pull. You need a fair bit of force but it will come off).

The wiper arm can be a real pain to remove. Just pull the cover off over the washer jet and undo the single nut. The arm is actually located onto a spline and you need to soak that with penetrating oil. Keep soaking it and eventually and with a bit of 'jiggling' (technical term) it will come off.

I expect that the spring is broken and you will need to replace the arm.

cheeky get marc (claudefrog) lol but i did mean the rear wiper arm!

I did try pull off the boot card but it was being a real pain and i didnt want to break it - i will give it another go later marms thanks :)

Got it sorted - after having another go at it, it came off quite easily! Found out that the pivot where the spring attaches is snapped so I was straight onto the phone to vagparts.com to order a new wiper arm! £15.91 after ASN discount!