This is my A3 order for tomorrow.....

SMc

Reaction score
Website
www.smcphotography.co.uk
Finally going to put my order in for the following........

A3 Sportback 2.0 Tdi S-Line 170 (DPF)

Lava Grey
Aluminium roof rails
Aluminium door mirrors
Dark tinted windows
Windscreen with grey tinted strip
Tyre pressure monitoring display
Front centre armrest
Interior lighting package
Non-smoking version
Rear floor mats
3-spoke multi-function steering wheel, flat bottom with ‘S’ emblem
electric lumbar support for the front seats
Cruise control
symphony radio
mobile phone preparation (Bluetooth) with hands-free operation for the centre armrest
Audi exclusive iPod preparation
BOSE sound system

Have I missed anything out? ;-) Any does or donts amongst that list?

Is there anything I need to look out for when ordering the whole car & options?

Thnaks

S

SMc said:
Thanks.....but I hate those little circles on the bumper so I've ruled that one out!

Totally agree with that. They ruin the look of the bumper. A3's are small cars anyway, easy to park.

Personally, we had the parking sensors fitted for the missus. The A3 is easy enough to park without them, but it does mean you can get a lot closer to objects than without them, handy for tight spots. Personally, I didn't bother with iPod prep with the Symphony III, as you already have a 6 disc MP3 changer, which is good for about 80 albums worth of music. Also, personally I didn't bother with the Bose option, as the standard system is much better than any other car I've owned (plus I'm not a 'big' music fan, so don't care that much!). Personally, I specced the auto dimming rear view/side mirrors, which I think are brilliant. The interior mirror I didn't care so much about (it isn't hard to flick the dip switch), but having dimming side mirrors are great, as I frequently got blinded by the side mirrors on my previous cars, especially by all the idiots who like to drive around with fog lights on!

Nice spec but, given the number of them which are being stolen from S3s, I'd delete the aluminium door mirrors tbh.

BTW, if you want to save yourself 13 quid, the rear floor mats are only 17 quid a pair from the parts dept :)

Personally, we had the parking sensors fitted for the missus. The A3 is easy enough to park without them, but it does mean you can get a lot closer to objects than without them, handy for tight spots. Personally, I didn't bother with iPod prep with the Symphony III, as you already have a 6 disc MP3 changer, which is good for about 80 albums worth of music. Also, personally I didn't bother with the Bose option, as the standard system is much better than any other car I've owned (plus I'm not a 'big' music fan, so don't care that much!). Personally, I specced the auto dimming rear view/side mirrors, which I think are brilliant. The interior mirror I didn't care so much about (it isn't hard to flick the dip switch), but having dimming side mirrors are great, as I frequently got blinded by the side mirrors on my previous cars, especially by all the idiots who like to drive around with fog lights on!

I agree with all the above. I personally find the rear parking sensors quite useful in very tight situations. I would also always go for the dimming door mirrors - they can make night driving much better. I ordered them for my A3 and they came with both dimming and folding, but I did not have to pay for the folding.

Mine is a SE so comes with quite a few of the 'goodies' anyway. I did go for the electric seat operation for the drivers seat. This stops the problem I had with my previous 8P of the drivers seat no quite locking properly after it had been moved. It also allows you to adjust the height of the seat base seperately at the front and back.

The reversible boot mat is very handy and only £50. Can you get the Flat bottomed wheel as an option on the S-Line?

alanjonesbath said:
Also, personally I didn't bother with the Bose option, as the standard system is much better than any other car I've owned (plus I'm not a 'big' music fan, so don't care that much!).

Disagree with that I'm afraid, the BOSE system really does sound amazing and is well worth it unless all you listen to is Radio 4! If you're a complete audiophile then there are better aftermarket systems you could get, but for £400 extra the BOSE system is very good value.

siu00adg said:
If you're a complete audiophile then there are better aftermarket systems you could get, but for £400 extra the BOSE system is very good value.

:iagree:

Bose only comes into it's own when you're belting it out though.
The standard stereo actually out-performs the Bose at low volumes.
Much better low volume bass levels.
But then,when you crank it up,it starts to distort.
At which point the Bose is getting into it's stride.
If you're not into LOUD music,spend the money on something else.
If you like it loud,Bose is fine.
Not great,but fine.
£400 would probably get you better sound from aftermarket kit though,but who can be *****.
I used to fit aftermarket stuff,I really can't be bothered now.

bowfer said:
Bose only comes into it's own when you're belting it out though.
The standard stereo actually out-performs the Bose at low volumes.
Much better low volume bass levels.
But then,when you crank it up,it starts to distort.
At which point the Bose is getting into it's stride.
If you're not into LOUD music,spend the money on something else.
If you like it loud,Bose is fine.
Not great,but fine.
£400 would probably get you better sound from aftermarket kit though,but who can *****.
I used to fit aftermarket stuff,I really can't be bothered now.

You have turned the bass up right? I have Bose in my A3 and the bass is good even at low volumes, I pick my S3 up tomorrow, I hope the system is as good as it is in my A3!

siu00adg said:
You have turned the bass up right? I have Bose in my A3 and the bass is good even at low volumes, I pick my S3 up tomorrow, I hope the system is as good as it is in my A3!

Everything's whacked up to max.
I regularly(ish) jump between my Bose equipped sportback and a colleague's A3 with the normal set-up.
Whilst you may think the low-volume bass is good with Bose,it's miles better with the standard set-up.
Put his up to 10 and it's distorting everywhere though.
Horses for courses.

siu00adg said:
Disagree with that I'm afraid, the BOSE system really does sound amazing and is well worth it unless all you listen to is Radio 4! If you're a complete audiophile then there are better aftermarket systems you could get, but for £400 extra the BOSE system is very good value.
I never said Bose didn't sound amazing. I said the standard set-up is pretty good compared to other cars, and better than others that I've owned, so didn't see a need for Bose. Unless you've owned all my previous cars, I'm not really sure what you can be disagreing with.

i'd ditch the non smoking pack thing, keep the smoking ash tray as it comes in handy for loose change, otherwise its just a 'hole' which doesn't really hold anything properly.

RobinA3 said:
i'd ditch the non smoking pack thing, keep the smoking ash tray as it comes in handy for loose change, otherwise its just a 'hole' which doesn't really hold anything properly.
Agreed, exactly why I didn't spec the non-smoking pack. You can always buy the 'tray' from VAGParts at a later date if you wanted.

SMc said:
The aluminum mirrors decision has been taken out my hands...they wont do it unless its an S3 :-(
You'll find the same with the flat-bottomed wheel I'm afraid.

SMc said:
The aluminum mirrors decision has been taken out my hands...they wont do it unless its an S3 :-(

This has always been the case, the brushed aluminum look mirror caps are S and RS model's signature.

However, you can retrofit them yourself. OEM or replica is up to you, depends on what's your budget and how much of a perfectionist you are.

mcmasman said:
This has always been the case, the brushed aluminum look mirror caps are S and RS model's signature.

However, you can retrofit them yourself. OEM or replica is up to you, depends on what's your budget and how much of a perfectionist you are.

I did expect it may be knocked back...same as the flat bottomed wheel....but there was a new red S-line Sportback in the dealer with alu mirrors and it was listed as an option on that so thought i'd give it a try......

Audi might not let you spec them on anything but an S3 but they are available to buy from the parts department. The dealer could easily fit the alloy covers prior to delivery.

SMc said:
I did expect it may be knocked back...same as the flat bottomed wheel....but there was a new red S-line Sportback in the dealer with alu mirrors and it was listed as an option on that so thought i'd give it a try......

There is a Le Mans Special Edition sportback with Alu mirrors, very nice looking A3 with all the toys as standard.!

I think its in 2.0ltr TFSi only though.

LOL, so to celebrate winning Le Mans for the second year running with a diesel, they produce a special edition only available as a petrol!?

Maybe wrong it could be a derv then!

alanjonesbath said:
Agreed, exactly why I didn't spec the non-smoking pack. You can always buy the 'tray' from VAGParts at a later date if you wanted.
i ordered mine with the non-smoking pack and find it much better. for one thing instead of the crappy looking cigarette lighter you get an empty 12v power socket with a nice tidy flip-up flap over the top. it looks much tidier. also in my last a3 I found the ashtray was too small to use it to store anything bigger than a packet of chewing gum. wouldn't use it for coins as they rattle about. The "tray" as you call it is much better and provides much needed additional storage, especially with the double-din head unit and air con unit filling the dash out.

but each to their own, I guess.

Thanks for the opinions everyone, my final spec was as follows.......

A3 Sportback 2.0 Tdi S-Line 170 (DPF)

Lava Grey
Aluminium roof rails
Dark tinted windows
Windscreen with grey tinted strip
Tyre pressure monitoring display
Front centre armrest
Interior lighting package
Non-smoking version
Rear floor mats
3-spoke multi-function steering wheel
Electric lumbar support for the front seats
Cruise control
Symphony radio
Mobile phone preparation (Bluetooth) with hands-free operation for the centre armrest
Audi exclusive iPod preparation
BOSE sound system
Reversible boot mat

Can't wait to get it now!!!! Told early November but seeing on here how others have been waiting I'll be happy to get it for Christmas!!

now it comes the wait ... ewww. I remembered mine ... long and painful.

Good luck.