My S3 going from 60 to 275 km/h

aiculedtzu

under pressure
Reaction score
This evening i have tested the top speed of my S3 on the highway.

I started accelerating in 3rd gear from 3.200 rpm. At 255 kmh i lifted my foot for a second (you can see that on the clip) and from 260 km/h the highway stared to rise a bit, so 275 km/h was the best i could do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sQK6rfcfMY

:whistle2:

Nice, looked like you ran out of gears rather than power. 6th @ 6800rpm and your car's max power is @ 6680 right?

:icon_thumright: nice one!

Congrats, you're the first (on here at least) to find the top end the S3 can manage with the standard 'box. Now you just need to bolt that 7th gear on.

170.5 MPG! Nice.

good work. is your S3 standard?

How accurate is your speedo? Not much point doing this unless you know - could be overreading by as much as 10%.

Also, I presume during your various tuning, the 155mph limiter was removed?

well the max I achieved on mine was 262km/h on the digital speedo and I hat 200rpm to reach redline so I believe those speeds are possible, if they are real that's another story but didn't found a secure enough straight to do that...

Pedro

newbiecrg said:
well the max I achieved on mine was 262km/h on the digital speedo
So 4.8% over-read then.

These things are limited to 250kph

I'm not sure about that, I actually think that the speed limiter works on the revs intead, not on speed sensors... engine cuts in 6th gear at certain revs I would imagine, my S3 has never cut anything and as I said I was doing 262Km/h and with a further 200rpm, it was still pulling, I just run out of straight, "safe" road...

Anyway the only way to achieve a more accurate reading of the real speed is with a GPS, anyone has tried one of those?

Not that all this matters, but I think the digital readout is pretty accurate, roadside speed detectors (for traffic information) always matched my digital speedometer perfectly (not the analogue one though)

Pedro

I've checked my digital speedo with a GPS device and it's perfectly accurate. 100 on the digital speedo is 100 on the GPS.

But the analogue speedo it's a bit optimistic :)

On the other hand, the s3 doesn't have a speed limiter. When my s3 was stock i reached 255 km/h, one of my friends reached 260 km/h (also with a stock S3) and looks like Pedro did the same thing ;)

Yes, correct, achieved 262 on a stock one, I believe it might reach 265-267 with a bit more road so I'm pleased that it is a "good one" i got

Pedro

hey aiculedtzu! yours should have a killer reprise!!! like 80-120 or even 80-200 with all that torque! what can you tell me about your performance in that area when compared to stock....

Pedro

newbiecrg said:
Yes, correct, achieved 262 on a stock one, I believe it might reach 265-267 with a bit more road so I'm pleased that it is a "good one" i got

Pedro

Mine does 267 on the digital speedo. Without any modifications.
At 100 on the speedo the GPS reads 99-100km/h
At 200 on the speedo the GPS reads 198km/h

That is not 4.8%.. it´s more like 1% and the speedo on the S3 seems extremely accurate.

Guys, the S3 IS limited to 155, check the price list PDF off the website. Basically all german cars are limited to 155 (250kph) except the very high performance ones. Even the standard RS cars (RS4, RS6) are limited in this way. I believe the RS6+ and obviously the R8 aren't though.

That said, I have heard that sometimes the limiters can be a bit "flexible" and don't always cut in bang on 155mph. A friend's M5, also supposedly limited to 155, reached 160 GPS speed before hitting a wall. Without the limiter it would have approached 180. Also, if your speedo (either analogue or digital) agrees with a GPS readout then great but don't assume this is automatically the case. My analogue & digital ones read exactly the same and both are over the real GPS speed by about 2-3mph. My last car over-read by 10% and, at a genuine 127mph, was showing 140 on the speedo.

They basically target an over-read on the speedo calibration so that it'll never under-read (which is illegal). So, for example, if the tolerances dictate the speedos will have a plus or minus 5% error, they'll target a 5% over-read so that the range will be 0% to 10% rather than -5% to 5%. Some cars will be bang on the money whilst others will over-read by quite a lot.

258 is what i reached and it had a bit more to give...my car is stock:happy:

But I will try it with GPS to see if it is true speed or overrated:huh:

Vertigo, i get your point BUT my digital speedo shows exactly the same speed as the GPS and beacause i reached over 155 mhp (with the stock S3) means that there is no speed limiter at 155 (as Audi claims). Also i'm not the only one around here who did this.

Anyway, my car is not stock, it has a stage 2 ECU remap which removes any kind of speed limitation (if there is any) and like i said in my first post, the highway started to climb a bit at 260, so 275 was the best i could do. On a flat road i am convinced it would reach 280 km/h, but i'll have to wait until the next attempt.

It's the bumpiest rolling road I've ever seen:laugh:

I also belive there is no speed limiter, I think is more a rev limiter in 6th gear (they can work out speed by revs and gear ratio but is not that accurate)

Also there are obvious differences between the analogue and digital speedo. The digital is a lot more accurate. Not saying 262 is actually 262 but definitly over 250 easy...

Concerning "walls" never hitted the wall as in the M5 BMW, hence no speed limiter on the S3, or at least a speed limiter indexed to speed...(if this makes any sense)

Also if there is speed limiter actuating it has to be flexible enough to allow speeds like mine for sure. I know just the place to see if there is a speed limiter... next time I'm in Portugal I will go there. It's a long downhill straight motorway so it will be easier to reach top speed and we will seen the limiter working or not. Trouble is cops always in the end of the straight... lololol

It's not like it is important to have the speed limited but I reckon that because 265bhp is just enough power to get to 250kph that they didn't bother to fit it with a real speed limiter... different with an M3, M5 where the power is more than enought to go over 250kph easily...

Pedro

I also belive there is no speed limiter, I think is more a rev limiter in 6th gear (they can work out speed by revs and gear ratio but is not that accurate)

Also there are obvious differences between the analogue and digital speedo. The digital is a lot more accurate. Not saying 262 is actually 262 but definitly over 250 easy...

Concerning "walls" never hitted the wall as in the M5 BMW, hence no speed limiter on the S3, or at least a speed limiter indexed to speed...(if this makes any sense)

Also if there is speed limiter actuating it has to be flexible enough to allow speeds like mine for sure. I know just the place to see if there is a speed limiter... next time I'm in Portugal I will go there. It's a long downhill straight motorway so it will be easier to reach top speed and we will seen the limiter working or not. Trouble is cops always in the end of the straight... lololol

It's not like it is important to have the speed limited but I reckon that because 265bhp is just enough power to get to 250kph that they didn't bother to fit it with a real speed limiter... different with an M3, M5 where the power is more than enought to go over 250kph easily...

Pedro

Aicu, that's a nice topspeed. It does look to be rev-limited rather than power-limited. I take it your car is on 225/40/18 tires?

I'm sure with your setup, the S3 must feel incredibly gutsy!

Thanks Jamin. Also it would be interesting to see your "monster" at work when the turbo upgrade is complete :)

P.S. Yes, i have 225/40 ZR 18 tires.

Stock (well, besides the panel filter, homemade CAI, and milltek cat-back), and with a verrrry long straight road, I got 6,600 rpms out of the 3.2 (we have the same O2Q gearbox).

With the turbo, I'll be severely limited by rpm, reaching the new 7,200rpm redline in sixth quite easily (275 - 280 km/h if memory serves).

HPA make a lengthened gearset, with 325km/h @ 7,000 rpm. To reach that speed in an A3, you need the 560hp twin-turbo kit. With the smaller FT450 kit, it would depend on the road, but 290-300km/h could be reached after a long fight ;-) I opted to keep the 'box as is for now.

Aiculedtzu, is your suspension stock? I only ask because I felt the stock suspension was underdamped for high speed... How did your S3 feel over 230?

My suspension is stock, but i had no problems at those speeds. At 275 km/h the ride quality was the same as it was at 200 km/h (only the engine was a bit louder).

I just realized that it was 17 degrees when you did your top speed run... I expected it to pull harder with 362 hp, but thats because its 17 degrees where you live and about 10-11 degrees at the moments at the nights where I live. So the car is getting more cold air here:icon_thumright:

Yours would be much quicker here:yes:

What does an S3 do 0-100mph ?
'Superbike' magazine raced an R8 this month.
Joint article with Autocar,doing 0-100-0 tests.
R8 does 0-100 in (edit) just under 10 seconds and 100-0 in 4 and a bit seconds.
BMW M5 tourer was quicker 0-100 and only 0.4 seconds slower to stop.
Quite amazing that,considering an M5 tourer will carry a wardrobe and an R8 has about as much room inside as one...
;-)

Well...the M5 has a V10 engine with 507 hp compared to R8´s V8 and "only" 420 hp, so the M5 has the 87 hp advantage..
It depends on which magazine is testing, cause EVO got 10,4 seconds for the R8 and M5 sedan 0-100.

The S3 is about 13,6 seconds to 100 and the MTM with 330 hp does it in 12 seconds flat, so with 362 hp it would be around 11 seconds or under.

Sundoo said:
Well...the M5 has a V10 engine with 507 hp compared to R8´s V8 and "only" 420 hp, so the M5 has the 87 hp advantage..

Bet the M5 tourer is a fair bit heavier though ?

Yep offcourse it is heavier cause otherwise it would have smoked the R8.
R8 : 1560 kg
M5 : 1830 kg
M5 touring: 1880 kg.

So it means that the R8 and M5 touring have 270 hp/ton..so they should be pretty equal in a drag race.

The numbers above are from car mag EVO.

Believe me an M5 tourer or saloon is ALOT faster than an S3 or R8!!:happy:

jonnyc said:
Believe me an M5 tourer or saloon is ALOT faster than an S3 or R8!!:happy:

Have you tried a M5 and R8 or are you just assuming?

Nobody said anything about a S3 being faster or as fast as M5

and the R8 still have the advantage with quattro, so with the right driver behind the wheel, it can get better launch,thats why it is as fast as M5 to 100 mph.

Thats what the facts says when you compare the 0-100 mph times the different mags get.

Sundoo said:
I just realized that it was 17 degrees when you did your top speed run... I expected it to pull harder with 362 hp, but thats because its 17 degrees where you live and about 10-11 degrees at the moments at the nights where I live. So the car is getting more cold air here:icon_thumright:
Yours would be much quicker here:yes:

I was interested only in the top speed of the my S3, not in it's acceleration. If you watch closely, you'll see that i shifted gears quite slowly and i had around 120 kg of extra weight (+1 person and luggage).

Anyway, i'm planning to do a 0-200 km/h acceleration test. I'll let you know :)

aiculedtzu said:
I was interested only in the top speed of the my S3, not in it's acceleration. If you watch closely, you'll see that i shifted gears quite slowly and i had around 120 kg of extra weight (+1 person and luggage).

Anyway, i'm planning to do a 0-200 km/h acceleration test. I'll let you know :)

Im looking forward to that acceleration test:icon_thumright:

Btw what is the fastest car that u have raced..just curious:think:

aiculedtzu said:
[...]Anyway, i'm planning to do a 0-200 km/h acceleration test. I'll let you know :)

Rember: 5,000 - 5,500 rpm clutch-drop, and slam gears 2, 3 and 4 home. Do it once, and do it right (brutally) ;-)

The fastest car i have raced was a E46 BMW M3 with sport exhaust and very probably with remap because it can rev over 8.200 rpm and a stock M3 is limited to 7.900 rpm. On a quarter mile drag race i won with 2 cars lengths. :) Also that M3 is quicker than an EVO 9 with remap or a 2007 Subaru STI (2.5).

@JaminBen, i'll do it this weekend ;-)

aiculedtzu said:
The fastest car i have raced was a E46 BMW M3 with sport exhaust and very probably with remap because it can rev over 8.200 rpm and a stock M3 is limited to 7.900 rpm. On a quarter mile drag race i won with 2 cars lengths. :) Also that M3 is quicker than an EVO 9 with remap or a 2007 Subaru STI (2.5).

@JaminBen, i'll do it this weekend ;-)
Awesome! cant wait to get my car done! need to put a couple of thousand miles on it first though.