Xenons - beam pattern

steve184

Reaction score
I think this is probably right but thought id check as i noticed tonight when walking back to my car across a car park that the passenger light looked brighter than the other, and when driving i noticed the beam in front of the car hit the road further on the passenger side than the drivers side - is this normal, to stop glare for drivers on the other side???

Yes. How long have you had a driving license for?

maybe as long as you have had an attitude for?????

Yes headlights are designed with beam pattern so they illuminate the side of the road but do not blind oncoming traffic. And that's true for the entire world.

You've been a member far longer than me, and are probably older than me, but I can honestly say this is one of the stupidest questions I've seen on this forum, so please forgive my initial "attitude".

Perhaps it was a 'obvious' answer but staz1000 both your replies were kind of harsh. Insulting people can't be the way forward can it?

Come on guys and girls - lets keep it friendly.

Ok well to be honest I've just come in from the pub and of course I'm quicker to snap, so I sincerely apologise if I've come across that way. I don't wish to make enemies Steve, but in my opinion I'm very shocked that you need to ask that question. But I'm the first to accept that a question is only easy if you know the answer.

And Marms thank you for pointing out that I have been insulting.

'Come in from the pub' - That makes two of us!

Now go to bed and look forward to the hang-over in the morning!

Hang-over shmang-over!

Is it me marms or have you been a bit quiet recently? Holiday or something?

I have to admit I'm terrible at remembering things though.

No you are quite right. I have been working away from home for a month and then I took two weeks holiday. Back now though so back to the usual pointless ramblings I'm afraid.

lol ok well welcome back. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you but you have missed a lot:

ASN is now owned by Prince Harry, since he bought a Q7.

Bowfer wrote a book called "Forums Are Always Wrong"

And Chris Evans bought an S3 last week so prices of S3s and even A3s have dropped dramatically.

well i disgree that it was a totally 'obvious' question otherwise i wouldn't have asked it you fool. I was under the impression the lights were meant to point slightly sideways, ie towards the nearside kerb, as opposed to have different horizontal positions for the passenger and drivers headlight - hence asking a 'perfectly normal' question. whenever i see cars coming down the road i cant say i have ever noticed one light brighter than the other, hence i was wondering if possibly something wrong with mine.

As i say perfectly normal question thankyou.

well I've been driving in Portugal and need to change my xenons (I got the spare ones as mine is a left hand drive specced UK S3) need to do that ASAP because not only probably blinding a bit oncomig traffic but also visibility is not at best. Shame on me... but working on it!

Pedro

Hmm steve your original question was very ambiguous in that case. It reads different to what you think it read like. Hence I thought you were asking a stupid question. Now you've explained it I understand you better. But the beam would reach further on the passenger side anyway. And walking past they'd look different. But to be sure you just have to pull up to a wall and check they look the same. Using the pattern on the floor is irrelevant.

I have apologised once steve, and I'll apologise again now you've explained your question differently. But don't call me a fool.

I suppose it's possible that you may actually have a headlight out of alignment. I agree, I don't think the o/s and n/s lights should appear noticeably brighter under normal situations.

It's not entirely clear who you are calling the fool here Steve. I sincerely hope it is not me as I was actually sticking up for you here. I put the word obvious in quotes as a way of emphasising that the answer may have been obvious.

If you are at all unsure about the beam patterns of your headlights I would pop down to a local MOT testing center or garage and get them to check the alignment. I've actually just been outside and had a look at my lights and I can say that, at any angle, neither light looks brighter than the other.

Hope that helps

steve184 said:
well i disgree that it was a totally 'obvious' question otherwise i wouldn't have asked it you fool. I was under the impression the lights were meant to point slightly sideways, ie towards the nearside kerb, as opposed to have different horizontal positions for the passenger and drivers headlight - hence asking a 'perfectly normal' question. whenever i see cars coming down the road i cant say i have ever noticed one light brighter than the other, hence i was wondering if possibly something wrong with mine.

As i say perfectly normal question thankyou.

Actually now I read it again marms I think it was actually directed at you!

no marms wasn't aimed at you - i could see you were genuinely trying to help. It was spaz (sorry staz!) who was bein arsey about a simple question.

Staz i will call you a fool, when you make out i am stupid when im not - and i shouldn't really have to explain myself. If you feel a question is 'stupid' the acceptable way to deal with it is not to contribute and let someone contribute who has something worth saying.

Over and out.

I'm disappointed in you steve. I thought this was an adult forum. I'll leave it there before you start calling me more silly little names.

Well thats what i thought also staz... when i came on to ask a perfectly civil question and got un-called for attitude from yourself. Don't give it out if you can't take it on the chin the other way pal.

steve184 said:
Well thats what i thought also staz... when i came on to ask a perfectly civil question and got un-called for attitude from yourself. Don't give it out if you can't take it on the chin the other way pal.
At least I can apologise steve and move and try to make amends. Yes I was quick to jump to a conclusion but I have apologised twice but yet still had to endure being called spaz.

It wasn't particularly meant to be funny tho. I was only asking a perfectly reasonable question originally!