Aluminium mirrors & Roof rails on A3 Sportback....yes or no?

SMc

Reaction score
Website
www.smcphotography.co.uk
Finally managed to determine the spec for the new A3 2.0Tdi S-line Sportback I'm just about to order. I'm going for Lava Grey, privacy glass, aluminium roof rails and also want the aluminium door mirrors. My partner thinks I should leave both the rails and alu mirrors but I think both together will look fantastic.

Opinions please?

I'd say yes to both but then I would as I have exactly that on my sportback.

Mine is a Brilliant Red 2.0 TDi S-line DSG and I think the alloy rails and mirrors add a certain extra detail to the car. I think they would look equally good on the dark lava grey as the alloy offers a lot of contrast against the darker paints. I know a lot of people don't like the roof rails but I love them. I have never used them to attach any roof bars or anything. I like them purely for their looks.

The alloy rails + mirrors compliment the standard s-line alloys perfectly.

Both could be fitted later as they are available from audi-accessories.co.uk but I'm not sure I'd want to attempt retro-fitting the roof rails as the headlining would need to be dropped to enable fitting.
No problem fitting the mirrors later - simple 10 min job.

So one vote for alloy mirrors and one vote for ally roof rails.

marms said:
I'd say yes to both but then I would as I have exactly that on my sportback.

Mine is a Brilliant Red 2.0 TDi S-line DSG and I think the alloy rails and mirrors add a certain extra detail to the car. I think they would look equally good on the dark lava grey as the alloy offers a lot of contrast against the darker paints. I know a lot of people don't like the roof rails but I love them. I have never used them to attach any roof bars or anything. I like them purely for their looks.

The alloy rails + mirrors compliment the standard s-line alloys perfectly.

Both could be fitted later as they are available from audi-accessories.co.uk but I'm not sure I'd want to attempt retro-fitting the roof rails as the headlining would need to be dropped to enable fitting.
No problem fitting the mirrors later - simple 10 min job.

So one vote for alloy mirrors and one vote for ally roof rails.

Thanks for your back-up!! I agree to all that!

Only thing is, the aftermarket alu mirrors....aren't they just a cap that fits over the mirrors whereas the factory ones are proper alu casing? saw them today....on a red Sportback in the showroom....much like yours by the sounds of it!......really suited it!

You can buy cheap replica mirror covers but if you get the genuine alloy mirror covers then you will get the exact same ones as fitted at the factory.

I actually have the cheap replicas and they are ok but nowhere near as quality feel or looking as the originals. Just for reference, the originals are around £300 and the replicas are around £100.

If I were to do the same again I'd save a bit more and go for the genuine article. But £300 for mirror covers is a hard pill to swallow.

Go with the Aluminum combo for sure, I did and never doubted it. They really stand out in Lava Grey.

About the mirrors though, I have heard lately that a lot of S3's are getting their mirrors stolen. So if I were you I would rather scarfice a little on the finish and just get the replica ones. It really isn't that bad, mine looks quite ok. Will you have a garage for your new car?

Sorry, I realize that none of the picutres really show the rails and the mirror caps together ... but something for you to imagine :):

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff79/mcmasman/CIMG7333.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff79/mcmasman/CIMG7336.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff79/mcmasman/CIMG7344.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff79/mcmasman/DSCN0388-1.jpg
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=828335&l=c98dc&id=620400528

WTF, The guy with the jet wash has no head!!!

Definately yes to the roof rails, they add so much to the car, not sure about the mirrors though

i have a dolphin grey model with the alu roof rails and imo they look great and really stretch out the car and make it look longer and lower. Personally I don't like alu mirrors unless you actually have an s3.

this is the only pic I have handy, before collection:

dsc000862iu6.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I think they will look fine. Keep it simple it will always look good if you do that...

Pedro

JohnS3 said:
WTF, The guy with the jet wash has no head!!!

Haha... yes, my brother refused my request to show him as the car wash boy :asskicking:

mcmasman said:
Go with the Aluminum combo for sure, I did and never doubted it. They really stand out in Lava Grey.

About the mirrors though, I have heard lately that a lot of S3's are getting their mirrors stolen. So if I were you I would rather scarfice a little on the finish and just get the replica ones. It really isn't that bad, mine looks quite ok. Will you have a garage for your new car?

Sorry, I realize that none of the picutres really show the rails and the mirror caps together ... but something for you to imagine :):

That's looking very nice mate, thanks.......and thanks to everyone else for opinions......

McMasman.....Where do you live in Norway? I used to work in Haugesund and then Stavanger a few years ago. Also, I was in Norway in July this year.....at the Rudskogen track shooting some cars and a show for Retro Ford & Performance Ford mags.....

Cheers

S

I live near Oslo. I've moved here one year ago on a job oppotunity, and because of my girlfriend. :whip:

for my two pennies worht would say yes add the roof rails and no don't add the wing mirrors.

The number of people who are getting them ripped off is silly and do you really want the hastle? Also there is the risk that soemone does body damage taking them off as well. I would go with standard boidy colour wing mirrors if I were you