A3 2.0t

irobso

Reaction score
Hi there

Just bought a sportback 54 plate 2.0T quattro sport, great car i was just expecting a bit more oomph when you stick your foot down any else think this or am i not used to driving it yet. Thanks

Hi and welcome.

What have you driven before? And why on earth did you buy a 10k plus car without taking it for a test drive first to see if you liked it?

Hi there

I did drive it a few times before i bought it (not picked it up yet) loved the car just expected a bit more turbo kick in and push you in the back of your seat job. Lovely car though dolphin grey with black leather 17,000 miles. Just want reassuring that it is a quick motor. Drove an 2.0 alfa 156.
Thanks

I can relate a little bit to what you're saying. I used to drive ~300bhp tuned vauxhalls and they were pretty damn quick but then I've been driving a 50bhp 3 cylinder Corsa for the last 2 years, so a ride on lawnmower would feel fast now.

The A3 does feel quick through first, second and into third but on the motorway the vx's always felt a lot faster. Remember there is a slight trade off in how fast a car feels against how well it's built. A rattly old Astra with 270+bhp feels unbelievably fast but a well built solid car feels a little more sluggish. As I get older I'm erring on the side of a well built fast car.

A friend of mine who knew I had a corsa for the last two years and is in to Audis himself asked me what it feels like to now drive a car that feels hollowed out rather than welded together. I thought that summed it up pretty well.

Just my 2 pence.

Your 2p is a good 2p Savage.

It is a fast car for sure Irobso. And you'll find more and more on the motorway you'll be easily pulling away from people without even dropping down a gear. But there are always faster cars of course.

The 2.0 TFSI won engine of the year 2 years running so that must make it pretty damn special.

I like the useability of my car. If I want to floor it I can, and beat most things (especially with the bluefin) or if I want to cruise about and be lazy and hardly change gear I can do that too.

I think over time you'll appreciate it more and more.

Irobso, the best thing you can do is go and test drive a Civic Type R. This supposedly has 200hp but the difference between this engine and yours is massive IMO. The Civic feels like it has no torque whatsoever.

The 2.0 tfsi is such a nicer engine to drive around with and the torque from the turbo makes it very easy to live with in comparison.

Although the Tfsi rattles more at idle than the Type R at 7500rpm :motz:

Hi,

One trait of the 2.0 TFSI is that there is very little/no turbo lag. Therefore the power is delivered in a very smooth fashion. In some cases this will make the car "feel" slower as you do not get the pushed back into your seat effect when the turbo spools up. However this does not mean the car is any slower, in fact it will be more drivable as as the turbo spools up so early on meaning the car will pick up very quickly and there is less need for down changes.

In many ways I think the 2.0 TFSI is more like a 3 litre 6 pot to drive rather than a 2 litre blower.

My 2 pence...

s3rob said:
Irobso, the best thing you can do is go and test drive a Civic Type R. This supposedly has 200hp but the difference between this engine and yours is massive IMO. The Civic feels like it has no torque whatsoever.
The 2.0 tfsi is such a nicer engine to drive around with and the torque from the turbo makes it very easy to live with in comparison

Agreed, having owned both 20T is far more refined and easy to live with, although a little slower then the Honda. The Honda has no torque but is quick when you keep it in the V Tech range

The 20T A3 is a fabulous car , don't think you will be disapointed.

Mark

Yup, I think the 2.0T is deceptively quick. When I test drove one, with the lack of turbo lag and no surge of torque, it really didn't feel that fast, but a quick look at the speedo told me different. I think the TDI's will always give you more of the 'push you back in your seat' type feelings, though obviously aren't actually as quick.