Vario Plus Control Module

B

Boydie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z76Ujpotew&NR=1

look at the top of the center display - it shows usefull info like turbo boost, temperatures etc...

might be quite usefull to some people??

here is the actual product:

http://store.l-c-t.com/store/category/a3_interior.html

$249 which works out roughly to be £175 or so - if you are like me and have replaced your standard unit, you will have a blank part where it would display your track - this would be quite nice and usefull but unfortunately expensive! :(

I love the look of that. The fact that you can get the boost pressue and the lambda sensor readings (although I bet their not wideband sensors, which is a shame) in DIS is great.

That looks really cool! I wonder how difficult it is to install.

Having a boost gauge that looks totally stock would be pretty cool.

s3mike said:
That looks really cool! I wonder how difficult it is to install.

Having a boost gauge that looks totally stock would be pretty cool.

It just plugs in to a spare connector under the dash, they claim it can be fitted by anyone in under 10 minutes.

Now if they had it so that you could program the data it displays yourself that would be cool.

So I'd need the Actual Boost, Airflow and Oil Temp on my 2.0 TDi.

Paul

I guess we could order it from that US website but it says they are not in stock yet ( new product ).

When it comes in I'll probably get one though.

I assume the new features can be switched on / off using the DIS menu so you can still get the normal information if needed.

i dont think you will be able to interchange between that and the cd information but i am sure it wouldnt be too hard to connect a switch between it and the plug :S

i was just told this about it - apparently not good for mapped cars:

"its simply taking information from vag com which will now be wrong cause your mapped and it throws alot of the information out the window"

I don't think vag com was mentioned. Surely the unit is taking readings from onboard sensors and displaying this in the DIS?

when i had my car on vagcom after my map the readings were all over the show compared to the expected values

it has been 5 days since my map and 200+ miles so i need to get another reading to see if the results have settled - so i guess this might mess up :S not sure though

I will wait until someone over here gets it first :p

Boydie said:
when i had my car on vagcom after my map the readings were all over the show compared to the expected values

Wouldn't you expect to see this as it has been remapped?

yeah i did expect it - but the map needs time to settle surely

the reading was taken only hours after the map was done

It'd be very easy for them to just use predicted information and simulate your readings dependant on what speed your engine is doing.

I don't doubt that it's possible to read some of the sensor outputs from a socket on the car but it's not that simple. All sensors, controls and buttons connect to an interface box on our cars. On lesser cars (he he) when you press your electric window button for example, it sends electricity (normally by providing a path to earth) to the motor to open/close it. In our case the button sends a signal to the interface unit, which is controlled by the ECU, which then sends the signal to the motor as long as all requirements have been met (the doors not opening by pulling the handle when the car is locked from the outside is one example of this).

This interface system is very complex though, and the car simply wasn't designed to have those readouts displayed on the DIS, so it begs the question, have they gone for the cheaters option and just used predicted outputs?

The Vag-Com software allows readings of boost pressure, lambda etc from sensors in the ECU.

Isn't the DIS unit just tapping into those readings and displaying them ( like the oil temp display on the S3? ).

As the cars now use a CAN bus, in theory all this information should be available from the ECU on request ( isn't the CAN bus like a broadcast network? ).

In theory you're right. I've never looked into how it works on cars thoug h and there're lots of types of CAN systems. Most modern data transmissions system I have studied work by allowing one system to talk and others will continue to try to talk until the line is clear and their signal can get through. Or is that just on computers!? I can't remember, it's been about 10 years. But anyway yes it's possible to do this, and really I guess you could manipulate the DIS in any way you want. If you wanted to you could design a unit that breaks into the line for the DIS and make it display literally anything you wanted to at the touch of a button.

If Boydie has heard a rumour that this system simply predicts you cars outputs and displays them then perhaps it's true and then it'd be a waste of money.

Where did you hear it Boydie?

Just from a friend who I trust his knowledge of VAG cars :S

Could be wrong though which I am not doubting - all this technical talk is a bit beyond me at the minute to be honest!

Yes basically it will be monitoring CAN-BUS data from the ECU so chipping it shouldn't effect it.

Someone else does a generic CAN-BUS display unit.

Paul

Well we'll just have to wait until someone buys one! lol

staz1000 said:
It'd be very easy for them to just use predicted information and simulate your readings dependant on what speed your engine is doing.

I don't doubt that it's possible to read some of the sensor outputs from a socket on the car but it's not that simple. All sensors, controls and buttons connect to an interface box on our cars. On lesser cars (he he) when you press your electric window button for example, it sends electricity (normally by providing a path to earth) to the motor to open/close it. In our case the button sends a signal to the interface unit, which is controlled by the ECU, which then sends the signal to the motor as long as all requirements have been met (the doors not opening by pulling the handle when the car is locked from the outside is one example of this).

This interface system is very complex though, and the car simply wasn't designed to have those readouts displayed on the DIS, so it begs the question, have they gone for the cheaters option and just used predicted outputs?

This page states that the unit can -

- display 0-60 mph time on the MFD (dashboard) in realtime
- display 0-90 mph time on the MFD (dashboard) in realtime
- display quarter mile time on the MFD (dashboard) in realtime
- display half mile time on the MFD (dashboard) in realtime
- display 0-100 kmh time on the MFD (dashboard) in realtime*
- display 0-140 kmh time on the MFD (dashboard) in realtime*
- display 400 metre time on the MFD (dashboard) in realtime*
- display 800 metre time on the MFD (dashboard) in realtime*
- new calibrated measuring for KMH: dyno tested, even more accurate
- display two independent data feeds at a time - choose which one to show
- new approach for time measuring, now easier to use with stick shift models
- display the absolute turbo boost pressure on 2.0t engines on the MFD (dashboard) - even while driving
- change between absolute or relative boost pressure display
- change between KPA, PSI or BAR
- display the actual o2-sensor (lambda) readings on the MFD (dashboard) in realtime
- allowing to select between 2-6 comfort blinks (factory is only OFF or 3) on either indicator
- adding a special indicator or horn sequence while you are in reverse gear
- adding Brake Light Assist
- adding Mirror Park Assist (flips down the passenger side mirror so you can see the curb)
- new temporary mirror park assist disable (no need to enter the menu to disable it)
- further improved error handling
- functions can be configured through our exclusive on dash menu via the MFD
- the module can be switched off to be completely invisible to any workshop
- easy installation - takes less than 15 minutes
- new installation harness for full plug and play: no wires to cut or splice!

*) only available on models with standard units on the dash in KMH

I doubt they would make these claims and use fake data, you could easily check with the 0 to 60 time (if you pretended you were James May)

Looks like a cool tool, did someone say group buy??

staz1000 said:
Well we'll just have to wait until someone buys one! lol

I think JaminBen is the most likely candidate.

RS3Leftrear.jpg

Where are you Ben?

JohnS3 said:
you could easily check with the 0 to 60 time

These types of data readout wouldn't have anything to do with the sensors or interface. I wasn't suggesting those would be fake. I was just saying that as Boydie had heard it wasn't true readouts then it is possible.

I personally believe they're actually true readouts from the car realtime.