New A3 170 Lead time

Markm49

Reaction score
Hi all,

Posted a while back that I had ordered a new A3 170 SE Sportback and that I was working towards a 12 week delivery schedule.

The car was ordered in mid July and I have just been informed that delivery is now 2nd week of December ! This is a 22 week period - surely this cannot be right but am getting the run around from JCT600 who we source our company cars through.

What lead times are other people working on and have the dates moved at all ?

Does this sound right ?

Cheers

Mark :sadlike:

22 weeks sound far far too long, 12 is about right. Mine took about 7 weeks from order to build date at the Audi factory and then about a month from start of build to collection from the dealer in the UK.

My company car took under 12 weeks to arrive.
That was back in 2005 too,when the sportback was relatively new.
22 weeks is shocking.

6 months for an A3 seems a bit mad doesn't it - I know they are popular but still......

The new A3 is due out in 2009,and you're not getting your new one until the end of '07 !
So you'll only have it a year before it's outdated.
That's not good.

Good point though not too bothered as it's a company car anyway so any depreciation loss is not hitting me in the pocket. If I get so p*ssed off with driving around in the old version I might just have to get a new job so I can get a new car !

12 weeks seem to be the norm, thats is (near enough) how long I waited for mine. Could it be that JCT600 'bulk order' rather than placing the order with Audi when a customer places their order?

I always get caught out,timingwise,when it comes to ordering my company cars too.
For example,when I ordered my A3 the Alfa 159 was still some months away.
This time around,there's a new Honda Accord coming.
No real indications when,or what'll look like.
If it drives as well as the current one (diesel),but is more boldly styled,it could be a cracking family car.
There really is nothing worse than ordering a company car and something else coming out only a few months later.
Vicious circle though,I s'pose.

I ordered my 2007 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI-170 on 6 December 2006 and it arrived at the dealers on 12 February 2007 - 10 weeks. Mine was a private purchase rather than a company/lease car.

I decided to wait and take delivery on 1 March.

I think the problem lies with the lease company and their allocation of cars from Audi.

I ordered mine at the end of June

Build date was week beginning August 5th

Still waiting on it.

Given that the new A3 is rumoured to be coming in 2009,how long will it be before we start seeing 'special edition' A3's,with everything chucked at them ?
They've been offering all sorts of incentives at the A4 for ages now,for example.

According to some information published a while ago in Car magazine the current A3 is due for a facelift in 2008 (to match the new Cabriolet) with full replacement not due until 2011.

h5djr said:
According to some information published a while ago in Car magazine the current A3 is due for a facelift in 2008 (to match the new Cabriolet) with full replacement not due until 2011.

Facelift or not,sticking with the existing running gear until 2011 is a bit risky,isn't it ?
Thinking about it,some of the engines are hardly cutting edge just now,never mind in 4 years.
I'm not being unkind,just realistic.
The 1.9 diesel is ancient (maybe they'll drop it ?)
The 2.0 (140) is running behind the competition.
The 2.0 (170) isn't proper common rail (is it ? )
Maybe they'll introduce new engines and use the current bodyshell as a test-bed for them ?

There will be a new entry-level common rail 2.0 TDI engine in the new A4 which has been just announced:

"Powerful and refined – the 2.0 TDI

The four-cylinder TDI engine, with a displacement of 1968 cc, is a new interpretation of the strengths of the TDI concept. The piezo injectors of its common-rail fuel injection system operate at a maximum pressure of 1800 bar. Other innovative design features relate to the turbocharger, the toothed belt camshaft drive and the geometry of the pistons.

This two-litre engine develops 105 kW (143 bhp) and has the powerful peak torque of 320 Nm between 1750 and 2500 rpm – figures that explain why the new Audi A4 can accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 9.4 seconds and reach a top speed of 215 km/h. When combined with the six-speed manual gearbox, the 2.0 TDI is content with an average fuel consumption of 5.5 l/100 km, in which case the 65-litre fuel tank provides an action radius of more than 1,100 kilometres. The four-cylinder TDI can also be ordered with the multitronic continuously variable transmission. In both cases the front wheels are driven.

The 2.0 TDI also outperforms the Euro 5 exhaust emission limits. Thanks to improved thermodynamics, it can operate at a higher rate of exhaust gas recirculation, so that untreated emissions of oxides of nitrogen are lower. The cooler combustion process, with less oxygen present, would normally have an adverse effect on efficiency, but by careful attention to detail the development engineers have managed to transform this into an improvement in fuel consumption."

Further to my original post I did some digging around with Audi and the leasing company. It would appear that the issue arose, as suggested in one of the responses, because the original dealership had exhausted their allocation of new cars. Anyway to give them some credit JCT have today cancelled the order with this dealership and placed one on my local Audi dealership.

Good news is that I now get the car in early November.

Thanks for the responses - pointed me in the right direction to find out where the problems lay.

:thumbsup:

I just heard today that my car is with the dealer and I can pick it up on Saturday morning! So thats about 9 weeks since ordering it.

To say I'm excited would be an understatement.