jerky 170 TDI S-Tronic issues

sausagefinger

sausagefinger
Reaction score
Hi to you all - first post - first audi - still smiling - just.....

Happy to say that having come over from the dark side ( bmw ) very impressed with the build quality and general feel of Audi compared to anything else i've owned. i can see what all the fuss is about now - completely different animal.

Lucky to have a 56 plate Phantom Black TDI 170 S-line with DSG ( sorry S-tronic )

At speed - flawless - superb shifting either auto o rvia paddles - no issues at all,
Slow speed - nightmare. Makes me drive like a complete t*****r.

Can someone point me in the right direction here - i am not alone - i appreciate that - i've spoken with Audi CS ref the issue of the gearbox being very jerky at low speed - selecting first when i need it to remain in second for smooth accelaration - however i feel like i'm bothering them with a trivial matter - do you know what i mean.

The car has been back to the dealer - test driven and i've told it's fine - they are all like that. I even get transmission shunting - you know - hesitation sometimes.

Although a company vehicle - i look after it like my own ( why wouldn't i ) - i love audi as a brand and will remain with them now - however i'm becoming a little dissapointed in the S-tronic.

Has anyone else this issue - are there remaps or firmware upgrades available - i've heard something but nothing to clarify?

Do i persist -- is what i'm saying?

Cheers

Ah, I too sometimes drive like a spaz when in a rush and too heavy on the gas. A steadier/smoother right foot until 2nd gear is engaged should see you right.

I agree, you shouldn't have to alter driving style to enjoy your car, but sadly this is the case.

Even the Mrs commented on my "jerky" driving yesterday! :noway:

Great at speed though, shifting smoothly and quickly.

I had the same issue on my 2004 2.0 TDI 140.

*Had* being the word, as the car drives much better (better acceleration, smoother throtle) since having it remapped at the weekend.

Upsolute worked for me and I'm happy with it - others can say how their remaps affected the DSG/S-Tronic...

Yup,mine is the same.
Even in 'D',it's jerky at low speed.
'Manual' (cough,spit,choke) mode makes the jerkiness even worse.
I get terrible transmission shunt as well.
Like a learner with bad clutch control.
Throttle-revs-nothing-BANG !
Coming off the throttle (at low speed) often results in head jerking nonsense too.
I've driven several DSG cars and they're all the same.
So there's nothing 'wrong' with your car.
I reckon this is why journalists rave about DSG.
Because they only drive in situations where it behaves well,like fast flowing roads.
If they actually drove it in 'real world' scenarios,they'd notice it's flaws.

The DSG certainly rewards a smooth driving style. Quick but smooth.

I don't think it rewards a smooth style at all David.
It DEMANDS a smooth style.
That's something completely different.
You really have to molly-coddle it to get it smooth around town.
That's not right,or natural.

You really have to molly-coddle it to get it smooth around town.
That's not right,or natural.

We will NEVER agree about anything to do with the DSG but just for the record, I don't 'molly-coddle' my DSG. I just drive the same way I have always driven and it certainly gives me a very smooth, shunt and jerk free ride. Quite a percentage of my driving is now around town type driving.
As I said before I drive almost exclusively in 'tip-tronic' mode, only using 'D' in slow moving traffic jams.

I did go out as a passenger with someone the other day in a Ford Focus with a manual gearbox and I think that was probably the jerkiest journey I've had for some time, but I think it was far more down to the driver than the car. It seem that his right foot had to be either pressing the accelerator pedal or the brake pedal. No such thing as just releasing the accelerator and letting the car run.

Just completed 500 miles with my 2.0TFSI S Tronic and I am very happy with the gear change. I spend a fair amount of time in short journeys around town. Mine changes gear smoothly and very quickly goes through the gears reaching 5th at around 30 mph. I drove a 1.9 TDI Golf for almost 1000 miles on holiday in Austria at the end of July and had a similar experience with DSG if a little under powered.

i dont ind the DSG in my 07 170 TDI -jerky at all - however im used to it now and perhaps ive unconciously adapted to get the best out of it. It certainly puts a smile on your face next to other cars though, as it really shows how much actual time you waste 'changing gear' in a manual

bowfer said:
I reckon this is why journalists rave about DSG.

Not all do, at EVO they are aware of its traits and run a DSG R32 as a Long Term test. They often rave and criticise it in the same article(different driving conditions).

Personally I am aware of it's flaws and drive round them - still miles better than any other automatic that I have ever driven.

Paul

Gti Jazz Blue said:
Not all do, at EVO they are aware of its traits and run a DSG R32 as a Long Term test. They often rave and criticise it in the same article(different driving conditions).

That's interesting.
I tend to buy/read more mainstream car mags.
I'll have to have a look at Evo.

EVO are famously critical of DSG under certain driving conditions (i.e. tooling around and not "pressing on").

After driving one prior to ordering my current car I completely agree with them. It's fantastic when you're driving hard but it does have some serious problems and anyone who claims otherwise has their head in the sand IMHO.

Vertigo1 said:
EVO are famously critical of DSG under certain driving conditions (i.e. tooling around and not "pressing on").

Oooooo just the justification that I need to Press On all of the time :busted_cop:

This won't come as any great surprise,but I don't think it's good for pressing on either.
How can it be when it changes up for you,even in manual mode ?
What kind of sporty driver wants their car changing up for them halfway around a corner,for example ?
I often get it changing up for me just as I'm about to brake !
Which always throws me,as I'm expecting engine braking that isn't there !
If they ditched the auto-change up at high revs,I would quite like DSG for 'pressing on' though,I'll give you that.

Vertigo1 said:

After driving one prior to ordering my current car I completely agree with them. It's fantastic when you're driving hard but it does have some serious problems and anyone who claims otherwise has their head in the sand IMHO.

I'm with you on this, couldn't wait to get rid of my dsg A3 & get back to an A3 with proper gears that change when I want it to change:icon_thumright: