Cigarette lighter power point

joeh

Reaction score
Miy (S3) cigarette lighter power point remains on even with the ignition off so that I have to remeber to unplug Road Angel. Is there any way of altering this?

You could fit a switch to kill it. I don't think they're adjustable with vag.com though.

joeh said:
Miy (S3) cigarette lighter power point remains on even with the ignition off so that I have to remeber to unplug Road Angel. Is there any way of altering this?

what you could do is hardwire the charger to the car, using a switched live connection, rather than the cigarette charger.

I have two Nokia chargers and a BlackBerry charger connected to my car using this method. It means that when the ignition is off, the chargers are off. I have the chargers buried in behind the dash, so just have the three connectors for the phones running into the cubbyhole where the ash-tray should be. My car has the non-smoker pack installed.

if you didn't want to hardwire it to the car, you could fit a 12v powerpoint to the car and use a switched live connection for it. You can buy one of these from vagparts.com

I have a Road Pilot Micro-Go speed camera unit. It came with a normal cigarette lighter plug on the power lead. I purchased a lead with has a cigarette type 12v socket on one end and bare wires on the other end. I connected a ring connector to the earth (black) wire and a spade terminal to the red wire. I then used my multi-meter to find a spare ignition controlled spade in the fuse box in the right-hand end of the of the dashboard and connected the ring on the earth lead to one on the fixing bolts in dash and hey presto, the Micro-Go comes on with the ignition and goes off when I tirn the ignition off. All the wires and the socket are wrapped in foam and tucked behind the dash. I have the Micro-Go at the lower right-hand end of the screen and the wire just tucks in the joint between the dash and the car body. Works a treat.

I think I bought the 12v lead off ebay for £3.25. If you decide to go down this route let me know and I will check to see which spade connection in the fuse box I used.

h5djr said:
I have a Road Pilot Micro-Go speed camera unit. It came with a normal cigarette lighter plug on the power lead. I purchased a lead with has a cigarette type 12v socket on one end and bare wires on the other end. I connected a ring connector to the earth (black) wire and a spade terminal to the red wire. I then used my multi-meter to find a spare ignition controlled spade in the fuse box in the right-hand end of the of the dashboard and connected the ring on the earth lead to one on the fixing bolts in dash and hey presto, the Micro-Go comes on with the ignition and goes off when I tirn the ignition off. All the wires and the socket are wrapped in foam and tucked behind the dash. I have the Micro-Go at the lower right-hand end of the screen and the wire just tucks in the joint between the dash and the car body. Works a treat.

I think I bought the 12v lead off ebay for £3.25. If you decide to go down this route let me know and I will check to see which spade connection in the fuse box I used.

if you are going to hardwire it, you don't need to buy any leads. just take two wires, connect the first one to the fuse on the charger and the other to switched live on the fuse box. then take the second wire, connect one end to the pins on the side of the charger and the other end to an earth.

Yes you car do it that way, but I did not want to cut the existing cigarette lighter plug off the Micro-Go lead if case I wanted to use temporarily it in another car. Hence the lead I purchased with a 12v socket on the end.