EM TuningAH Fabrications
    Grrrr

Status

Unhappy Oh bugger. Advice please!

Coming home last night I unfortunately hit what I think was a badger, just appeared out of the verge too quickly to miss.

Looking at car in daylight today, I have some damage to the nearside bumper.

I'm no expert on body repairs or even if its possible - can someone with a bit of knowledge on this take a look at the pic below and advise if I can get this repaired or will it mean a whole new front? The plastic has split, about 1.5" long.

Also, the black fixture around the front foglight has come dislodged but can't seem to get it to clip back in, do I need to know anything special to sort that out?

Cheers

Audi TT RS

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    its probably repairable but a proer bodyshop would probably have to repaint most of the bumper - chipsaway or similar might be able to doa more localised repair but how good this would be i dont know - never had the balls to let chipsaway near a car of mine!

6th Gear

Status
    Its repairable, and if the car is pretty new and the rest of the paint ncie, it could be blown in pretty easily. Its low down and there are pleaty of shapes and angles to lose any belnd into.
    I would suggest it should be no more than £150....maybe as low as £80 if you know the rigt people!

6th Gear

Status
    I hit a cat at about 75-80mph in my last car. It left a vertical split about 8 inches long in the front bumper. I thought it would need a whole new bumper, but they did a localised repair on it, touched it up with small brushes (probably similar to chipaway), and it was good as new. The strange thing was when I told people about hitting the cat and getting the car repaired, they would come out for a look and tell me that they could see the repair work - only thing was, they were pointing to the opposite side of the car. It seems the repair was more natural looking that the original paintwork.

I also got rear-ended by a guy. I was stopped and he didn't see me and hit me at about 30mph. Again, the repair was done and respray of just the damaged area. The body shop said that they don't like to fit new rear bumpers on the A3 because of the way it wraps around the sides. He said they find it very difficult to get a colour match to the original, and it looks out of place, whereas with the localised respray they can blend it.

The damage to your front bumper is minor compared to what mine was like - maybe your photo doesn't show the full extent. I'd say a good bodyshop will be able to sort you out with a localised repair rather than a full respray of the bumper.

As for the foglight surround, you may have damaged a clip. It should just push back in - don't be afraid to use a bit of force on it to be sure.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcQuinlivan
    I also got rear-ended by a guy. I was stopped and he didn't see me and hit me at about 30mph. Again, the repair was done and respray of just the damaged area. The body shop said that they don't like to fit new rear bumpers on the A3 because of the way it wraps around the sides. He said they find it very difficult to get a colour match to the original, and it looks out of place, whereas with the localised respray they can blend it.
    You were hit at around 30 and they only repaired the bumper!! I'm pretty sure there will be some serious damage hidden behind the bumper. Not life threatening but I'd get it checked out properly.

Grrrr

Status
    Thanks, popped in to local dealer this afternoon, they took a look and suggested it could be repaired, have to go back in the week when someone more in the know is around - saturday means only sales guys there.

Worth going tho, got to sit in an R8 and rev the engine. First time I've seen one in the flesh. Very nice!! And a lot smaller than I had thought - quite low and a similar stance to the TT. At 99k that this one was, sitting in it is all I'l be doing tho
    Audi TT RS

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff
    You were hit at around 30 and they only repaired the bumper!! I'm pretty sure there will be some serious damage hidden behind the bumper. Not life threatening but I'd get it checked out properly.
    it may have been a bit slower than that (but not much). I was stopped and the guy behind wasn't paying attention and drove straight into me without braking. my foot wasn't on the brake pedal, so i was nudged forward, as opposed to getting the back of the car squashed.

there's a metal bar running across the back of the car which seems to have absorbed most of the impact. the guy doing the repairs said it wasn't serious enough to need repairing.

I've since sold the car, so not a lot I can do about it now.

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by powerplay

Also, the black fixture around the front foglight has come dislodged but can't seem to get it to clip back in, do I need to know anything special to sort that out?
    I recently had something hit me that knocked my fog light surround out of shape and no matter how hard I pushed it wouldn't clip back in at the top. I got a heat gun and warmed up the clips on the back so they were a bit flexible, then shoved wedges of paper in to bend and hold the clips out slightly. Once it cooled down bingo it clipped back in first time.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Grrrr

Status
    Thanks for that. Fortunately the dealer managed to do it, prepared to use more brute force than I was! I did squirm a bit watching the bumper flexing as two of them forced it in, but its clipped in now thankfully. Will have to come out again I guess for the repair...
    Audi TT RS