JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning

Thread: Bluefin

4th Gear

Status

Bluefin

Hello,

I recently had my S3 bluefined, and in a few weeks im gonna be taking it to a rolling road. What should i do if the figures come back negative? superchips claim it should definately be pushing out 300bhp or slightly more, but if it shows 270 or 280, what would you recommend i do?

If i were to contact superchips would they give me another map to try?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    What do you mean negative ?
    Negative as in less than stock ?
    Or negative as in less than they claim ?
    You must be able to tell if the car is quicker or not.
    Surely you don't need a piece of paper to tell you whether it's chucking out more power or not ?
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

5th Gear

Status
    plus they always say that figures are indicative only - so they do not guarantee them. if its not what they claim they will just use this as a get out clause or state your car was knocking out less than standard before the rempa and tell you its an audi warranty issue! (for the car being lower than orginal - not the map being lower than SC state)

4th Gear

Status
    I meant negative as in less than they claim as they said that it would be guaranteed to be pusging out 300bhp.
    When i e-mailed them straight after installng it, i asked about the figures they were claiming and they basically said that if my car was below the stock bhp to start with i would feel a very big difference, and if it was 10bhp or more over stock then it would be a subtle difference.

So or a while i figured maybe my car was over 261hp to start with, but im just starting to think the remap is not what they claim, it doesnt feel like 300bhp or more to be honest, and they did say that all s3's will be at that mark.

i will have to wait and see, i could be wrong

6th Gear

Status
    To be honest,this supports a belief I've had for a while.
    That some S3 owners aren't going to notice the difference between 260bhp and 300bhp.
    It's the law of diminishing returns,innit.
    The more you have,the less satisfaction you get from even more.
    Someone like me is going to notice another 40bhp,coz I only have 140bhp to start with.
    So I'm driving around with my foot to the floor,a lot of the time.
    I don't believe many S3 owners are able to drive with their foot to the floor in anything other than short bursts,so any increase is going to be a paper-waving/bar-bragging exercise.

is a retronaut

Status
    But then that's why you have a choice whether to remap or not. If you don't think 40bhp will be much of a difference then don't go for it.

If you go for it get it done in their HQ and ask for a rolling road printout. Also superchips offer a 7 day trial. If you're not happy you can get a refund within 7 days.

Also it's worth pointing out that it's not just the increase in power that's noticable but the increase in torque. The car becomes far easier to drive because you can stick it in a high gear at low speeds and it still pulls like a mofo.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

6th Gear

Status
    Presumably,if the rolling road confirms an increase in power,then Johnnyb will keep the bluefin.
    Despite his backside telling him there's little/no difference.
    That seems a bit daft to me.
    Like a lie detector test,but for a car.

is a retronaut

Status
    Well I think if you can't feel any difference then a rolling road print out would be irrelevant and I'd ask for my money back. However other S3 owners with a remap have always got positive things to say so I can't imagine him not feeling it. As I say the most noticeable part of the map is low in the range. It's worth it just for that. My car pulls very easily in 6th from about 25mph.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    Surely you don't need a piece of paper to tell you whether it's chucking out more power or not ?
    QFE!

That should be made a sticky.

A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line

Gone...and quite quickly forgotten

Reverse Gear

Status
    It will always be a bit tricky to notice that sort of power gain, and because the s3 puts the power down easily there isnt going to be any laryness (real word) to make you realise how much extra power you have. In my race car we have 300bhp, and when we hit the boost button we get 360bhp for 6 seconds. And you cant really feel that much of a difference apart from the engine note changing and everyone else getting smaller in your mirrors. The benefits i see in remaps is that you get improved driveability over the rev range.

4th Gear

Status
    The reason i created this post is because i have had a few cars chipped in the past, not by superchips but by APR. I can feel a slight difference so it has worked, i just expected to feel more as the remaps by APR seem to be more aggressive i suppose.

My cousin has got the old S3 and has had his remapped by APR and has a bmc cold air intake, i drove it the other day and my car certainly does not feel 30-35hp more, as he has had his tested on a rolling road which showed 270bhp.

Im not complaining about my remap as it does feel better and slightly faster, i just expected more probably because i was comparing it to past remaps which blew my socks off. Maybe it is down to the fact that it is already a very fast car so the gains seem less subtle

Reverse Gear

Status
    Why not set it back to standard for a day or so, see if there is much of a difference , then put it back on and see how it feels.

4th Gear

Status
    Yeah that is probably the best idea,

although im sure i read somewhere on here before that someone did that, and that when they put it back on it didnt feel the same as before. I will probably just go ahead and do it as i might actually see a big difference when it goes back to stock

5th Gear

Status
    like what bowfer said 40bhp is a 15-16% increase on 260bhp but a 30% increase on 140bhp - twice the difference, showing it will only be half as noticeable as on a lower power car to start with.

under pressure

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyb
    Yeah that is probably the best idea
    Or you could make some dyno logs with VAG COM (block 120), with and without the remap.

That will solve the mystery
    Audi S3 2.0 TFSI quattro - Turbo-Back exhaust - Cold Air Intake - Uprated Fuel Pump - Upgraded Clutch - Upgraded Intercooler - Stage2+ Software

6th Gear

Status
    Sounds like you're quite disappointed with the result Johnny B, get in touch with superchips, better still go to the HQ and get you car on thier rollers as this is likely to be FOC as you are clearly not satisfied, customer service is usually excellent.

Remaps are a tricky thing with some cars being far more obvious than others, all the diesels I have had done have indeed been very, very noticeable but the remap I had done on my previous 2.0T was a lot more subtle but definetly quicker, I too had reservations as to wether the car was making the power claimed but this was later verified on an independant dyno at an awesome RR day with only 0.5 bhp between Superchips & Awesomes with awesome showing the higher figure, torque was exactly the same at both locations.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

4th Gear

Status
    Hi again,

Awesome gti have actually got an APR remap ready for the new S3, they said the gains are realistically 35-40hp, i told them my concerns regarding the bluefin, they suggested bringing to them and putting it on their rolling road as im thinking about getting a carbonio air intake for it, they also recommended i invest in the air intake, milltek exhaust and a new intercooler which they rekon takes the car to around 330bhp.

Not gonna but all that kit for it just yet, i now understand how remaps work with lower and higher power cars so i was probably just expecting too much.

How does the VAG.COM thing work? what do you need to do?