Haldex unit & diverter valve

JerseyBrian

Reaction score
Hi have an 07 S3 Bluefin & carbino. Has anyone fitted either the Modified Haldex control unit and or a modified Diverter valve.If so comments please.
Many Thanks

i thought the S3 had a modified Haldex as standard or are you talking about the switchable haldex with 3 settings, sport, normal etc.

The Haldex unit I am talking about is the one sold by Awesome.
It has a rear wheel drive bias as opposed to the standard unit which is more front wheel drive.

i,ve noticed that the front wheel will spin a bit more than my old s3 did before the rears activated, in fact my old s3 never wheel spun before the back end kicked in on the oem set up

thebears said:
i thought the S3 had a modified Haldex as standard or are you talking about the switchable haldex with 3 settings, sport, normal etc.

The S3 has the same Haldex controller as all A3 quattros.

its the haldex gen II and im about to get it done on mine. Its basically an uprated version, which responds alot quicker therefore makes driving hard more fun and 'apparantly' transforms the cars handling... Im trying to find someone who has had it done to put me off :) and save me some poe!

klauster said:
its the haldex gen II and im about to get it done on mine. Its basically an uprated version, which responds alot quicker therefore makes driving hard more fun and 'apparantly' transforms the cars handling... Im trying to find someone who has had it done to put me off :) and save me some poe!

The gen II haldex unit is used on all 8P A3s(inc the S3) the 8Ls had gen I. What you are talking about is the modified Gen II haldex controller as offered by APR and the like. It has three different setting and sends more power rearward on the car than the standard unit would at any given time(except max transfer). A;lthough it will not give the car a rear bias it will feel alot more like it compared to standard.

Dandle said:
The S3 has the same Haldex controller as all A3 quattros.

The unit is the same, but on the S3 has a different setup (software).

To be honest I'm thinking of buyng one, but i don't want to be a guinea pig again, so i'll wait a bit until some bloke with a S3 buys one and provides some feedback :)))

Dandle said:
The gen II haldex unit is used on all 8P A3s(inc the S3) the 8Ls had gen I. What you are talking about is the modified Gen II haldex controller as offered by APR and the like. It has three different setting and sends more power rearward on the car than the standard unit would at any given time(except max transfer). A;lthough it will not give the car a rear bias it will feel alot more like it compared to standard.

I don't mean to be a pedantic d*ck, but I have to set you straight on this:

The MkIV Golf-platform cars (old A3Q, old S3, MkIV R32, etc.) come with the GenI Haldex controller from the factory. These cars could be upgraded with either the Blue or Orange GenI HPP (Haldex Performance Part).

The MkV Golf-platform cars (new A3Q, new TT, MkV R32, etc.) come with the GenII Haldex controller from the factory. While similar in design, the two controllers differ in that the latter is tied into the vehicle's CAN network, and therefore uses more signals to determine when and how much torque to apply to the Haldex clutch pack (and thus to what % the rear is tied to the front, i.e. 100% = 50/50 torque distribution). Thanks to this CAN integration, the GenII controller is slightly more proactive than its GenI counterpart.

MkV cars using the GenII controller can be upgraded with the GenII HPP. This unit has three programs in memory: stock, sport, and race. It can be fitted to the car without a switch, in which case it will be in by-default sport mode. This program applies more torque faster to the Haldex clutch pack than the stock program does, meaning the rear diff is tied to the front more quickly and to a higher degree. This, in turn, makes for less understeer and a more "planted" feeling.

The GenII HPP is an expensive piece, but it makes for significantly enhanced chassis behaviour. Imo, it is one of the best upgrades one can purchase for a MkV Quattro or 4-Motion car.

JaminBen said:

The MkIV Golf-platform cars (old A3Q, old S3, MkIV R32, etc.) come with the GenI Haldex controller from the factory. These cars could be upgraded with either the Blue or Orange GenI HPP (Haldex Performance Part).

The MkV Golf-platform cars (new A3Q, new TT, MkV R32, etc.) come with the GenII Haldex controller from the factory. While similar in design, the two controllers differ in that the latter is tied into the vehicle's CAN network, and therefore uses more signals to determine when and how much torque to apply to the Haldex clutch pack (and thus to what % the rear is tied to the front, i.e. 100% = 50/50 torque distribution). Thanks to this CAN integration, the GenII controller is slightly more proactive than its GenI counterpart.

MkV cars using the GenII controller can be upgraded with the GenII HPP. This unit has three programs in memory: stock, sport, and race. It can be fitted to the car without a switch, in which case it will be in by-default sport mode. This program applies more torque faster to the Haldex clutch pack than the stock program does, meaning the rear diff is tied to the front more quickly and to a higher degree. This, in turn, makes for less understeer and a more "planted" feeling.

The GenII HPP is an expensive piece, but it makes for significantly enhanced chassis behaviour. Imo, it is one of the best upgrades one can purchase for a MkV Quattro or 4-Motion car.

You didnt have to set me straight because you've just agreed with everything i said. Maybe you need to read what I posted again.;)

I was mearly pointing out to the guy that wanted to upgrade to gen II his car already has gen II haldex not gen I like he thought.

Whoops, sorry Dandle: I hadn't seen the "8Ls had GenI" in your post... Where's that "foot-in-mouth" emoticon? ;-)

JaminBen said:

its going on my car next month, im loking forward to the results, I take it its better to have the switch? Where will the switch be located?

klauster said:
its going on my car next month, im loking forward to the results, I take it its better to have the switch? Where will the switch be located?

Well, the stock and race modes can only be used if you have a switch installed. If you don't have a switch, then the controller will be in the by-default sport mode which is an intermediary mode.

Looking at Haldex's documentation, it shows that "sport" applies "more torque faster" than "stock" to the clutch pack, thus setting the driveline closer to a 50/50 split faster. "Race" should be more of the same.

There is also a question as to whether or not GenII HPP "race" mode acts as the GenI Orange HPP, which stays locked even under braking. When I get my car back next month, the switch should be installed. I'll do vag-com logs of the controller to see if that's the case or not.

I got my switch from www.autops.co.uk and it was well made. It's a rotary knob mounted in one the blank button to the right of "ESP OFF".

I am also waiting for a new kind of switch, to go in the same location, but that will be a push button only. It will read "HPP" to match "ESP OFF" and have three mini-leds to indicate which setting is used. Hopefully, this type of switch will make it into production, as it will look perfectly OEM...

Hope this helps,

JerseyBrian said:
Hi have an 07 S3 Bluefin & carbino. Has anyone fitted either the Modified Haldex control unit and or a modified Diverter valve.If so comments please.
Many Thanks

Hey there,

I have had mine bluefined and im considering buying the carbonio intake, would you recommend it? can you feel any difference? how does it sound?

cheers

Yeah thanks,

Getting my diverter valve fitted tomorrow then the carbonio next month so i should notice a difference

klauster said:

did u fix it?
do u have some news for us?

can i just ask what people think about them,are they better than the oem ones i,ve read mixed reports about them, and is their many people on here that have them on the new s3 that can explain the benifits thanks