Which Diesel ?

Kitsch

Seat - Skoda - Audi
Reaction score
Hi I pick up my new A3 a week Tuesday & was wondering if there is a diesel supplier preference, I know with my VRS I found the Shell unleaded the best, Is diesel the same different company different performance ?

no difference! doesn't matter with diesel its a crude unrefined fuel anyway! i go for the cheapest in the area from petrolprices.com - you could put chip fat in it and it would run pretty much the same (although would probably damage something!)

I tend to use Shell Diesel most of the time, mainly because it's the what they sell at the two nearest garages - current 94.9p and exactly the same as unleaded which makes a change.

I went on holiday to Austria in June, across France and Germany and filled up with a variety of makes of diesel and didn't notice any difference in performance or running with any of them. The price was much better though!

Never noticed a difference in performance or economy from using different brand diesel. It all comes from the same refineries anyway, no matter what forecourt you buy it from. I'm sure stuff like BP Ultimate would be better, but then regular BP diesel is exactly the same as what you'll fill up with at Sainsburys anyway (BP still supply Sainsburys I believe). I just use whatever is cheapest, normally Asda. I made a point of using Shell diesel for a few months with my last car, didn't make a difference to the fuel economy at all.

Ive got a 1.9tdi mkv golf at the moment and always fill up with shell diesel, if I use sainsburys diesel I get a noticeable drop in mpg. When my new A3 arrives I'll be using shell.

mitch78 said:
Maybe it's just me then, but Shell and BP Ultimate did make a difference. I'm not just imagining it, it was a good 40-50 miles extra per tank, consistently.
You will with BP Ultimate and Shell Optimax diesels, but probably wouldn't with the standard BP and Shell diesels. The Ultimate/Optimax diesels have different additives etc. to give them extra 'power'.
swhurst said:
if I use sainsburys diesel I get a noticeable drop in mpg. When my new A3 arrives I'll be using shell.
As I said above, the fuel you get at Sainsburys is the same stuff you'll get at BP, so there won't be a difference other than the placebo effect.

I used to live in Pembroke, near the Texaco oil refinery there. It isn't just Texaco tankers that get their fuel there ;) I've seen just about every company there is, Texaco, BP, Shell, even Tesco and Safeway tankers filling up there. A friend of ours used to run a Shell station there, and we were there one day when a fuel delivery arrived, and while chatting with the guy we asked him where he had come from. He said 'We just get it from the closest refinery, I've just come from Texaco'. :yes:

mitch78 said:
Around here, Shell only do one diesel, Diesel Extra (if you ignore the standard diesel on the HGV pumps), they improved the diesel, released it as Diesel Extra and got rid of the older supposedly less advanced one. Their point, when they first released it, was that you got more power without paying more. I think it was mainly to steal BP Ultimate diesel customers as they have the same cetane number (think of it as the diesel equivalent of octane) but it's far cheaper than BP Ultimate.
Ah, we're still on 'normal' Shell diesel round here (or at least they were last time I went to a Shell garage).

Anyone got any info / experience of the new Shell V-Power Diesel? It's 98.9 near me, but not sure whether to stick with Shell Extra? I have just got upto 52mpg average in my 170TDi A4 running with Shell Extra.