Phatnoise music manager S3

thebears

Reaction score
As part of my deal, the dealer was to swap my music manager from my old TT into the S3. The S3 has the symponthy head unit with the 6disc combined.

The Stealer has just rang to say that this can-not be done as it is not possible to fit phatnoise to newer audis.

Is he telling porkys?

He is (sort of) right. The new II+ units have a different connetor block and it is tricky with the Phatnoise. I think a guy in Ireland managed to do it with a collection of connectors and some soldering... An RNS-E works tho! Tap him up for one of those!

a3norwich said:
He is (sort of) right. The new II+ units have a different connetor block and it is tricky with the Phatnoise. I think a guy in Ireland managed to do it with a collection of connectors and some soldering... An RNS-E works tho! Tap him up for one of those!

Thats excatly what I'm going to do. Install the latest RNS-E and the Phatbox or have the car back. Lets see how they play that one.

I had the same prob with mine and the new headunits. We came to an "arrangement" in the end on a new RNS-E fitted thru them by a third party... :cool:

a3norwich said:
that was me... but no soldering was required. just a 20-pin to 12-pin adapter which can be ordered from Audi parts department.

Dale,
I've mailed you a doc with what you need in it.

MarcQuinlivan said:
that was me... but no soldering was required. just a 20-pin to 12-pin adapter which can be ordered from Audi parts department.

Dale,
I've mailed you a doc with what you need in it.

Marc

Cheers recieved the document, when the stealer said it was impossible i showed him your document. They went quite, went away came back and said part is on back order, bring it back next week!

I'll keep you posted.

Dale

thebears said:
Marc

Cheers recieved the document, when the stealer said it was impossible i showed him your document. They went quite, went away came back and said part is on back order, bring it back next week!

I'll keep you posted.

Dale
happy days. you'll find that when they said it couldn't be done, they just couldn't be ***** checking it out!

Good to hear you have it sorted! I really don't know what I would do without mine!

Not sorted yet, dealer still claiming it cant be done. In the meantime i have left them with the car (over a week now) and driving a new S5 !!

thebears said:
Not sorted yet, dealer still claiming it cant be done. In the meantime i have left them with the car (over a week now) and driving a new S5 !!

New S5!!? how?!

thebears said:

I hope you told them to take their time. :hubbahubba:

I'm certainly not ringing them every day to chase!

thebears said:

trust me, it can be done, as you've seen from my doc. If they want, they can fly me in to sort it - as long as they give me an S5 to drive while I'm there!

MarcQuinlivan said:
trust me, it can be done, as you've seen from my doc. If they want, they can fly me in to sort it - as long as they give me an S5 to drive while I'm there!

If i could i would, at this rate there will be a new music format out!

I had the Phatbox in my S3. I fitted it myself in the glovebox as a direct replacement for the 6 CD changer.

If you have the 6 CD already all you need is the VW Phatnoise cable and away you go.

Steve

TTLAW said:
I had the Phatbox in my S3. I fitted it myself in the glovebox as a direct replacement for the 6 CD changer.

If you have the 6 CD already all you need is the VW Phatnoise cable and away you go.

Steve
you probably had the old series II head unit in the S3, not the new series II+\III one with the quadlock connector.

It was a an 8P S3 with new style concert then RNS-E. It had the quadlock (FAKRA) connectors. I still have the adapter lead I used I will get a picture up.

Steve

I'll see if the dealer has orderd the right part then!