Needle Sweep feature on MY07 S3s...

Rabbit222

Reaction score
Website
www.vwclub.co.za
I dropped by a local Audi dealer yesterday to have a look at a MY08 S3 that had just arrived. It had the Needle Sweep feature enabled...we hooked up the VAS to my car to see what the differences are between the MY08 and MY07 spec. Turns out the Cluster would need to be changed inorder to have this feature active on all MY07 spec cars, not even an ECU upgrade will do...

Thought I'd let you guys know.

That sorts that one then. Any other differecnes between the two?

Is there any visual difference between 07 and 08 cluster? Or any other difference for that matter? Is the needle sweep the only thing added to my08?

jojje said:
Is there any visual difference between 07 and 08 cluster? Or any other difference for that matter? Is the needle sweep the only thing added to my08?

Cosmetically, no. The cluster looks identical and so does everything else on the car. We checked the VIN numbers on the MY08 as well as the MY07 car and found the clusters to be different part numbers. I can only assume that the needle sweep feature is built into the MY08 cluster. It has an additional feature in the DIS menu, Indications. Once you access that menu you can switch the dials on or off.

thebears said:
dashpod failure anyone :nyah:

Heh - you'd probably have to wait until the part bins are empty for the old version - they usually have a few left even once they start fitting the new MY version.

I think my instrument cluster back-chatted me this morning.

I hate bad attitude in a cluster - I'm going to go give it a solid thumping and call the dealer and tell him it's dead - put an order in for a MY08 one please.

Problem sorted.:icon_thumright:

TheWusMan said:
I think my instrument cluster back-chatted me this morning.

I hate bad attitude in a cluster - I'm going to go give it a solid thumping and call the dealer and tell him it's dead - put an order in for a MY08 one please.

Problem sorted.:icon_thumright:

LOL! Goodluck Sven, I just queried from the Parts bin guys...MY08 cluster is around R11k:scared2:

Rabbit222 said:
LOL! Goodluck Sven, I just queried from the Parts bin guys...MY08 cluster is around R11k:scared2:

So thats £764, ouch.......

it would have been nice to have, but its not worth the hassle...

what the heck is a Needle Sweep feature? Does the car clean up after the xmas tree every year?

looks bad, it might stop all that nonsense if you tighten the connections at the back

Now - if it was like this baby - I might even consider it...

Dodgy link, try this one. Now I want one!!

[ytv]1Wnu7OFZ0hQ[/ytv]

at least the dealer was telling the truth for once, I asked about this update when I was last in and they said "not possible on your model".

To be fair it looks cool but you're not really going to miss it, thanks for the info though .

markwiggy said:
Model Year !!

Mark

ah... I was thinking it was Manufacture year... but model year... yeah, cool. Cheers. :icon_thumright:

N8KOW said:
So how do you get needle sweep? Is there a retro fit?

Buy a MY08 S3, you may be able to retrofit but i think you need to change the instrument cluster among other things. Is it worth it, I don't think so !! Have I got it on mine ? No !! Am I bovvered ? No !!

Think I am correct in saying it is exclusive on the S3, sure i will be corrected if wrong.

Mark

markwiggy said:
Buy a MY08 S3, you may be able to retrofit but i think you need to change the instrument cluster among other things. Is it worth it, I don't think so !! Have I got it on mine ? No !! Am I bovvered ? No !!

Think I am correct in saying it is exclusive on the S3, sure i will be corrected if wrong.

Mark

Do you know why i would have it then?

My car is deffo 07 , just over 6 month old?

p

I think the MY08 cars started being delivered to dealers about from about mid 07. My car was delivered in Oct 07 and also has the needle sweep.