The "RS3" project

On these boards he's "JaminBen". I don't think anyone else has taken their A3 to these heights. I think his turbo starts going on this week.

Very nice....

RS3Fullview.jpg

The door bottoms are unavailable, no-one has them in stock anywhere BUT (and you may not believe this), I got my Audi dealership to remove the ones from their demo S3 and sell them to me

end quote

what is the difference between normal door bottoms?? side skirts?

shame the bonnet/bumper are different colours! Not that sure about the alloys either....

Boydie said:
what is the difference between normal door bottoms?? side skirts?

Take it you mean the side skirts underneath the door and attached to the kick plates on the door sill?

If so there are loads of differences, they stick out more and go lower as the "normal" A3 and S-Line dont have them and the bodywork slides underneath the car as it does not have the skirting extra style.

I'll look at it again later but looks like a normal S3 to me (on the outside at least). Do like the fins though, very sexy.

Hope he gets around to changing those wheels... look good from closeup but further out, it doesn't sit well

sat1983 said:

Thanks!

RS3Leftrear.jpg

So this is just a 2005 3.2L A3 with manual gearbox, NAV, Bose, etc. It has over 140,000 km on the odo.

The body is indeed the S3's, including hood, front and rear bumpers, and sideskirts. The thin body piece attached to the botom of the door is specific to the S3, so this was changed too.

The front wings however are 25mm wider, vented, and made to my specific request by Riso Wu of Osir Design in Hong-Kong.

After fitting the body pieces, the entire car was re-sprayed in its original color, Ebony Black Pearl.

Chassis chores are handled by KW V3 coilovers brought to Clubsport spec, with front camber plates. H&R sway bars are installed as well, for added adjustability. Haldex's GenII HPP has also been fitted (many moons ago), but will soon receive a switch to enable access to the "Race" and "Stock" modes, as well as the by-default "Sport" mode.

Brakes are Alcon/Stasis 14.5" 4-pot items up front. These weigh half what the original mushy binders do. Rear is left stock, except for Carbotech brake pads to match the front DS2500s.

An HPA/HGP single-turbo and single side mount intercooler is being installed at the moment, by a VAG development engineer near Wolfsburg. Crank horsepower will be around the 450 mark. A full custom exhaust with specific catalytic converters is also being installed.

The manual transmision is being rebuilt, and will be receiving a Torque-Biasing differential (Torsen) made by Peloquin in the USA ( www.peloquins.com ), and an as-yet unreleased ceramic clutch with single-mass steel flywheel.

The wheels pictured above are 8x18 et45 forged items weighing less than 18lbs each. When I receive my OEM 9x19 et52 Titanium RS4 wheels next month, the 18s will be fitted with Toyo R888s and be used for trackdays.

Hope this helps,
Ben.

If I had the cash I'd love to stick a 3.2 in the S3 and twin turbo it (like the 550+bhp R32's you hear about). Actually it would probably be cheaper to modify a 3.2 A3.

car looks fantastic, cant wait to see it completed...

I am thinking of the haldex GenII upgrade on my S3, can you confirm its a good investment?

klauster said:
car looks fantastic, cant wait to see it completed...

I am thinking of the haldex GenII upgrade on my S3, can you confirm its a good investment?

Thanks! Can't wait to have it finished too. I've driven other HPA 3.2L turbo cars and they are fantastic!!

Re: the GenII HPP, I think it is a mandatory upgrade for anyone who enjoys driving.
The change is subtle when driven gently, and glaringly apparent when pushed hard.
It is certainly expensive, but if you plan on keeping the car any length of time, it is certainly well worth it.

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding the HPP.

Cheers,

JaminBen said:
Thanks! Can't wait to have it finished too. I've driven other HPA 3.2L turbo cars and they are fantastic!!

Re: the GenII HPP, I think it is a mandatory upgrade for anyone who enjoys driving.
The change is subtle when driven gently, and glaringly apparent when pushed hard.
It is certainly expensive, but if you plan on keeping the car any length of time, it is certainly well worth it.

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding the HPP.

Cheers,

cheers, I think im going to get it, especially as i tend to cain my S3 at every opportunity, thanks again

aiculedtzu said:
Nice car and an even nicer upgrade.
10x

Thanks!

I'm quite fond of your S3 too, and it wasn't an easy decision to use the S3's body kit on a non-S3. But even if Audi will one day make an RS3 (using the 2.0T or 2.5 with twin-turbos) I still feel this 450hp 3.2L Turbo will deserve to wear the badge ;-)

I have a friend in Bucharest, with a turbo MkV R32. I will be visiting him next year, so maybe we'll meet there? (and race all of the 100 kilometers of your freeway ;-)

JaminBen said:
I still feel this 450hp 3.2L Turbo will deserve to wear the badge ;-)

Not everyone will agree on that I'm afraid.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showpost.php?p=180763&postcount=6

I'm always happy to see cars modded cars, especially one where a lot of time and hard earned money has gone into something that is loved dearly. And where they don't have these ****** crazy front bumpers that look frankly ridiculous. You've gone for the subtle look which is great.

However the RS3 name is a bit different. For me anyway.

Of course I'm not sure if they'll ever make an RS3 or not but if they do, even if it's less powerful and handles less well than yours or any others', it'd still be the only RS3. It's more than just the power and handling. It's about the work that audi themselves put in to make what would be the best performing hot hatch of all time (from the factory) and showing the other germans the door.

But the famous 8L RS3 has taken a hell of a lot of stick over the years so you should expect the same, even though noone else on this forum has said it yet, I bet there are a few that are thinking the same as what scotty said above.

Of course you're entitled to do whatever you want to do and I'm sure you'll be wearing the RS3 badge with pride. But be forwarned, there will be people who see that badge on your car, and no matter what's under the bonnet or arches, think you're a pr%%k. But if you're happy to accept that and I'm sure you are, especially as you'll recieve far more praise to outweigh the negative comments, then fair play to you and enjoy.

staz1000 said:
Not everyone will agree on that I'm afraid.
[...]
Of course you're entitled to do whatever you want to do and I'm sure you'll be wearing the RS3 badge with pride. But be forwarned, there will be people who see that badge on your car, and no matter what's under the bonnet or arches, think you're a pr%%k. But if you're happy to accept that and I'm sure you are, especially as you'll recieve far more praise to outweigh the negative comments, then fair play to you and enjoy.

Staz, I think you're right on the money: to some, this will be the worst kind of blasphemy. To others, it will be the cheeky wink to Audi that I mean it to be. C'est la vie, and there's nothing you nor I can do about it.

Originally, I wanted to have "S3.2T" badges made up, but that isn't going to happen: I've contacted several custom badge builders, and no-one seems willing to make single items, or even small batches.

But back to the link you posted: it leads to a "single post" with no ebay link...? What was it to?

Cheers,

JaminBen said:
Staz, I think you're right on the money: to some, this will be the worst kind of blasphemy. To others, it will be the cheeky wink to Audi that I mean it to be. C'est la vie, and there's nothing you nor I can do about it.

I'm glad you can see it like that.:icon_thumright:

Originally, I wanted to have "S3.2T"

How about the S3 badge (I think you're entitled to that at least) plus the .2 from a 3.2 and T from a 2.0T? Are they the same shape size and style perhaps??

But back to the link you posted: it leads to a "single post" with no ebay link...? What was it to?

Cheers,

It was the single post I wanted you to read. It's from the RS3 forum. There are other comments within the same thread but that was the most pertinent.

The RS3 badge you have... its an OEM part? Was there ever an RS3? Whats the "famous 8L RS3"?

I'd love Audi to make an RS3 but somehow I just don't see it :-(

I can't do "S3.2T" because the "S3" is slanted while the ".2" and "T" are not.

But, if I could find someone to make a slanted S3.2T, I just may do that. Especially seeing as Audi WILL be producing an RS3 (just found this out from a very trustworthy source)(you don't have to believe me).

Anyways, the turbo installation has begun. First off, the head is getting a thorough check-up (it has 140,000 kilometers after all). New exhaust valves, springs and seats are going in. Early Audi 3.2VR6s used sodium-filled valves, but post 2005 units were built with cheaper chrome solid valves. Soooo, the sodium valves are only available through Porsche (3.2L Cayenne), and the price is quite elitist :-(

The cast iron exhaust manifold is being thermal coated, and so is the oil pan (for heat dissipation). Both the cast downpipe and cast aluminium intake from HPA come coated.

The transmission is being overhauled as well, with all new bearings etc., and a new front Torsen diff is going in. A special clutch will be going in as well, with a single-mass steel flywheel to better deal with high rpms (7,000 or 7,200rpm cutoff).

A front Torsen in a Haldex car works absolute wonders; I've had a go with a MkV R32 with front Torsen and it was heavenly. I am really looking forward to this mod.

Next week the custom exhaust will be built, and hopefully they'll manage to raise the battery and make room for dual left/right oval exits (à la RS4).

I'll update this thread as things come together.

Cheers,

JB, you might know this..

Does the Oettinger front mesh grill fit within the standard S3 grill?

JaminBen said:
Especially seeing as Audi WILL be producing an RS3 (just found this out from a very trustworthy source)(you don't have to believe me).

Any idea when?!

I'm also thinking to change the badges on my S3 and i would probably go for a 1.6 bagde (with magnet). Lot of fun :)

TDI-line said:
JB, you might know this..

Does the Oettinger front mesh grill fit within the standard S3 grill?

Well, the S3 grille is slightly smaller than the regular grille used in the normal and S-Line bumpers.

Oettinger have a mesh grille for the regular bumper, but I don't know if they made a new, smaller, version to replace the S3 grille.

Hey

I emailed the same question about the grille a few weeks ago because i was interested in doing it on mine, they said it doesnt fit but they are planning on making an 8P S3 specific grille in the near future..

Jc

******, looks like a black optic pack for the time being, or Audi Exclusive to make me a blue grill...

As the turbo installation is nearing completion, I thought I would share a few pics with those interested...

The kit being installed is sold by HPA, a Canadian firm: www.hpamotorsports.com . Quite a few years ago, HPA founder Marcel Horn partnered with Turbo-VR6 pioneer Martin Graff from HGP in Germany www.hgp-turbo.de . I went with a kit from HPA simply because HGP are incredibly hard to get a hold of: I spent a year trying to contact them, via email and snail-mail, to no avail.

The FT450 kit uses a single custom Garett turbo, a single side-mount intercooler, custom exhaust and intake manifolds, a thick steel head gasket, specific injectors, a massive catalytic converter, and of course bespoke software to produce 450 crank horsepower.

Installation duties are being handled by a small German engineering firm, who are well accustomed to the VR6, and VAG cars ranging from the 2.0T S3 to the Bugatti Veyron. Their shop is more "candy-store" than "grease pit", and is home to some incredible machinery.

Anyways, on to some pics:

The kit is tightly packed in all these boxes. Everything needed is included and labeled (pictured is my friend Bogdan, who had an FT400 installed in his MkV R32 (complete with mTm 8-pot RS6 brakes, etc., etc.):

BoxesOgoodies.jpg

Here are my boxes full o'joy:

BoxOgoodies.jpg

Opening my boxes, I felt like the proverbial 5 year old kid at christmas, especially when I pulled this HUGE snail out:

Turbo.jpg

Ball-bearing cartridge, oil lubricated and water cooled, custom AR, and integral wastegate and recirculation:

TurbineandCompressorintakes.jpg

Turbineoutlet.jpg

The smallish, modified VAG interooler:

Intercooler-1.jpg

Cast-iron exhaust manifold:

HGPheader-1.jpg

Exhaustmanifoldintakeports.jpg

Exhaustmanifoldexhaustports.jpg

Cast aluminium intake manifold:

Intakemanifold.jpg

Intakemanifront.jpg

Massive high-flow cat, which will run parallel to one stock cat in a custom exhaust:

Cat.jpg

All the various bits are there, including high-strength rod bolts, and race-grade rod bearings:

BoxOgoodies.jpg

And even a modified air intake feed (the standard airbox is used, with a paper filter):

AirIntake.jpg

Bogdan's R32 head (identical to 3.2L A3):

3.2Valvetrain.jpg

And his FT400 installation underway (FT450 looks identical):

BogdansFT450far.jpg

D-day - 7 !!!!!

I didn't think all those goodies would fit in the engine bay, however that last pic proves me wrong!! Well done sir!! :respekt:

Regards, John.

Love the project!

Could you route the intake feed around the block rather than over it thus helping to keep intake air temps down and losing that compression in the pipe between the spark plugs?

Sadly, no.

This is definitely not one of the prettiest kits out there, especially with the bright blue Samco hoses (I specced black Samcos, but the UK factory failed to deliver them to HPA).

However, within the next year the entire intercooling system will be revised, with a much sexier proposition.

In the meantime, this will have to do...

JaminBen said:
However, within the next year the entire intercooling system will be revised, with a much sexier proposition.

Chargecooler perhaps?