a3 clutch recall

yendall24

Reaction score
hi i have recently bought a a3 2.0 tdi first registered in jan o4 it as covered 67000 miles the other night when i pulled up at the lights i put it in neutral and released the clutch pedal thats when i eared this sort of rattling sound depress the pedal sound gone looking on the inter net there seems to have been a recall on this model could anyone shed any light on this ie models affected and so on

Sounds like the thrust bearing on the clutch, give the main delaers a ring and they should tell you.

Or the dual mass flywheel, let's hope it's the clutch !

There was a recall on the flywheel on some early 2.0TDIs. Two types of flywheel were used but they can't tell which one you have without looking. Mine went in for checking and it turned out it didn't have the faulty part. Dealer should be able to advise if yours is potentially affected.

mine was an 04 TDI (05MY) and it had to have the flywheel changed - was a bit worried at the time as its a gearbox out job - but they did it all from underneath and seemed to do a good job (although couldn't tell anything was done afterwards - clutch or engine wasn't any smoother)

Do you have to call the Audi Customer Service number to check if the cars had the recall or not?

The main dealer should be able to tell you if you give them your chassis number over the phone

Main dealer as in one local to me? What if they lie...

Any one, try a few!

If they lie they lie you dont get the job done!

Why would they though?

They get paid from Audi for any warranty work so I'm sure take ages to do a job....

I had exactely the same problem as Rendall24.

I have an A3 2.0TDi, 2004 04 plate, 44.000 miles. I am the second owner, warranty expired in Jan 2007.

I MUST have my car for work, so took it to my local audi urgently.

They told me that the flywheel was knackered due to 'safari driving' (apparently this is when 1st and 2nd gear are ridden with the clutch depressed regularly eg crawling in traffic).

To repair the problem, they had to replace the flywheel and clutch - removing the gearbox in the process. Total Cost - just over £1,400!!!.

I was in a hole and had to ge the work done as I had no other option...the noise it was making really was bad.

Anyway, since this (about 1 month ago) I contacted Audi customer services to ask if they could help with the costs as I thought it was ridiculous on a car of this age and mileage. 1 week after contacting them, the head of service from my local audi dealer called and said that it was down to this 'safari driving' and therefore Audi had no fault.

After doing some digging on the net, it appears that this isn't uncommon in A3 the same age.

Any suggestions on my next move? Should it have been changed under this recall?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Si.

MADVW - you are a legend.

Mine should have been covered by this (My VIN number is in the group under recall). I bought the car in January 2007, and the recall went out in March 2006.

I can only assume that the chap who had it before me didn't have the work done and ignored the recall.

Even if he did have the recall done, that means that the new flywheel put in lasted 12 months before it went again, which is unsatisfactory.

I will be on the phone to the head of service at worcester audi 2moro - will keep everyone posted!

Mine appears to be in that bracket. No signs of anything bad thou. Still 2 months warrenty left. Time for a phone call!