Time to leave!!

MattS

Reaction score
Decided to trade in the A3 today, not sure what we are having but have been fed up with the reliability and build quality of our A3 it has to go!!

I am sure we have a bad one but it has left me scared, more so with the dealership than the car, but going into a delaership 13 times in 14 months for warranty work is not funny.

So nice meeting you all and I am sure I'll be back at some point.:icon_thumright:

Matt

Very unlucky indeed. Quite unfortunate and very upsetting to read your story. Sounds like you went to hell and back...

Any ideas in mind for what you want? It's very difficult because not everyone could settle for a BMW/Merc but Audi have always been a brand you could settle for. It's pretty universal but now you've been put off it, i'd imagine it puts you in abit of a fiddle to decide over which camp to go for next.

Do keep us updated on your thoughts, i'm very interested in knowing what your thinking.

hard luck mate. It sucks when your pride and joy turns into a pain in the ***. Hopefully you will get a good price for it and can buy a nice new car. What you considering? If you post your contenders on here we can maybe help suggest a suitable replacement (audi or otherwise). Best of luck.

cooky

A good friend of mine has a 2004 Sportback 2.0T, one of the first, it is a 2.0 TFSi Sport. It now has 113,000 miles on it, and apart from regular servicing/tyres etc. It has been faultless, so I know it is not the same with all A3's. Just ours.

I don't think I would buy another Audi yet, until the local dealer gets their act together.

The otehr half wanted a mid sized 4x4, the forth coming Q5 will be too expensive as it is rumoured they will start at £30,000.

We have tried the X3, but hated it, the new Freelander 2 is very good, had one on demo last week, the HSE model is extremely good!!

If we go down the Freelander route, I have spoken to Superchips and they will by November time be able to re-configure my bluefin for the Freelander.

So it would be 190bhp and 355lb/ft, so would make a nice difference.

We are going to decide later this week, but the Freelander 2 TD4 HSE looks top choice at the moment.

I know the old Freelander had very bad press, but the new one does appear to be a totally different beast.

MattS, I agree with you there in regards to the Freelander 2.

I have also heard very positive feedback from the FL 2. My mother in-law has a Freelander 1 and that is just cheap plastic weak engine all bolted together.

I don't know UK prices, but when you mention Q5 starts at £30,000, isn't it also the case for Freelander 2 HSE?

If I do go down the small 4x4 route,which is a possibility,it would be the new CRV with the 2.2ctdi engine.
I'd get it chipped up to 180bhp too.
If you think Audi are unreliable,there's no way you should consider a Freelander.
I wouldn't.
Have you see their reliability reports over the past few years ???
According to the reports,the CRV is nearly as good as the Freelander,but with almost guaranteed reliability to boot.
Can't say fairer than that.

I got a new S3 first week of June and love it to bits.

But the miss'us needed a new ride after having her golf for 6 years and .... sad to say it's the first time we've left the VAG stable for .... the Freelander II.

Got the new (in South Africa at least) 2.2 TD4 command shift, in SE spec.

All I can say is that this vehicle is superb. Stock, she has 400 NM of torque and rides like an accomplished sedan, with hardly any body roll - even when pushing it (like any S3 driver would when given the chance).

Nice post here from freel2.com (freelander fan site) forum:

In Germany the best Motor Magazin is AMS - Auto, Motor, Sport. In its August 15, edition, AMS compares the Freelander II with the new Citroen C-Crosser, the new Nissan X-Trail and the Opel Antara, all with Diesel engines. Winner is the Freelander II with the remark: "the excellent suspension, the high build quality and the
safe driving capabilities brings the Freelander II to the top". The quality level of the Freely II is rated with 9 from 10 points.
A few pages further on, the Audi Q7 is compared with the Mercedes GL. Both cars are rated with 9 points (from 10) with regard to their build quality.
So the new Freelander II is at eye sight with Audi and Mercedes with regard to quality and overal appearance

Sums it up quite nicely ....:icon_thumright:

PS. Freelander II is actually a "from the ground up Ford" on the volvo S80 / Ford EUCD S-max platform. Quality and reliability should be top class.

MattS said:
A good friend of mine has a 2004 Sportback 2.0T, one of the first, it is a 2.0 TFSi Sport. It now has 113,000 miles on it, and apart from regular servicing/tyres etc. It has been faultless, so I know it is not the same with all A3's. Just ours.
Not mine either (although it is 2.0TDI with 25k). Maybe 2004 was a good year for new Sportbacks, although I broke one of my own car-buying rules by purchasing a new car from a brand new model range. Usually it's best to wait a year or two to allow early production issues to be sorted - even though the 8P chassis is the same as the 3dr which had been around for a year before that - but even so, my Sportback has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Not even a bulb has gone on it in nearly three years, and it's now the longest time I've owned one car too.

I've had 3 A3's now with absolutely no reliability issues at all so I guess you were just unlucky but admittedly I don't generally keep cars longer than 12 months although I'm hoping the S3 will be an exception to that rule.

I like the F2 especially in HSE form but take a look at the top spec Honda CRV before you commit to purchase, I test drove both recently and preferred the Honda plus as Bowfer indicated nothing is as reliable as a Honda. The hona will be quieter, more economical with loads of kit and cheaper but not as good on the rough stuff so depends what you are after, which ever one you go for make it in Black - the best colour by far in either model IMO especially in top spec - saw a beauty at Superchips HQ last week which is one of their company cars so they may be able to give an objective review.

mcmasman said:
MattS, I agree with you there in regards to the Freelander 2.

I have also heard very positive feedback from the FL 2. My mother in-law has a Freelander 1 and that is just cheap plastic weak engine all bolted together.

I don't know UK prices, but when you mention Q5 starts at £30,000, isn't it also the case for Freelander 2 HSE?

£31K buys you a top spec HSE Freelander 2, but £30 would buy you the entry level Q5 if the reports are true.

bowfer said:
If I do go down the small 4x4 route,which is a possibility,it would be the new CRV with the 2.2ctdi engine.
I'd get it chipped up to 180bhp too.
If you think Audi are unreliable,there's no way you should consider a Freelander.
I wouldn't.
Have you see their reliability reports over the past few years ???
According to the reports,the CRV is nearly as good as the Freelander,but with almost guaranteed reliability to boot.
Can't say fairer than that.

Fair points, but I just don't like the Japanese dash styling. The new Freelander 2 is a different beast to the Freelander 1.

TheWusMan said:
I got a new S3 first week of June and love it to bits.

But the miss'us needed a new ride after having her golf for 6 years and .... sad to say it's the first time we've left the VAG stable for .... the Freelander II.

Got the new (in South Africa at least) 2.2 TD4 command shift, in SE spec.

All I can say is that this vehicle is superb. Stock, she has 400 NM of torque and rides like an accomplished sedan, with hardly any body roll - even when pushing it (like any S3 driver would when given the chance).

Nice post here from freel2.com (freelander fan site) forum:

In Germany the best Motor Magazin is AMS - Auto, Motor, Sport. In its August 15, edition, AMS compares the Freelander II with the new Citroen C-Crosser, the new Nissan X-Trail and the Opel Antara, all with Diesel engines. Winner is the Freelander II with the remark: "the excellent suspension, the high build quality and the
safe driving capabilities brings the Freelander II to the top". The quality level of the Freely II is rated with 9 from 10 points.
A few pages further on, the Audi Q7 is compared with the Mercedes GL. Both cars are rated with 9 points (from 10) with regard to their build quality.
So the new Freelander II is at eye sight with Audi and Mercedes with regard to quality and overal appearance

Sums it up quite nicely ....:icon_thumright:

PS. Freelander II is actually a "from the ground up Ford" on the volvo S80 / Ford EUCD S-max platform. Quality and reliability should be top class.

I read the same report in What car magazine last week, this is why it looks like FReelander 2 is going be the weapon of choice.

I have been a Vauxhall fan for years, and over the last 4 years, have had 2 x Vectra SRi 1.9 CDTi 150's and now a Signum 3.0 CDTi, covered nearly 150,000 miles between the 3 and never had one issue.

But the Antara's 2.0 CDTi is very under powered and gutless, I wish Vauxhall had fitted the 1.9 CDTi 150 instead, it would make all the difference. The two engines are totally different.

Matt said:
Honda CRV looks horrendous!

I felt that also when I had a look in the dealership, very challenging front to say the least!

However, it does pack alot of equipment for the price. And it also got the Honda badge for realiability.You have to like the Japanese design to buy one, otherwise doesn't matter how realiable and cheap it is you will still hate to see it everyday.

I like the looks of the CRV,with the right wheels.
To me,who isn't particluarly interested in 4x4's,it doesn't really look like one.
It's more estate than 4x4 box.
A Freelander very definitely looks like a 4x4,which puts me off.
I'm not interested in off-road ability.
I would like the ease of getting in and out (bad back) and general practicality.
I would also like the snow ability of the CRV.
We had an HRV and it was legendary in the snow.
Nothing phased it,over roads even 'proper' 4x4's were struggling with.

Well the order is placed!!! Ordered a Grey Freelander 2 TD4 HSE, has everything on it and I have also had Zenon lights with adaptive forward lighting and privacy glass.

The stereo system is an Alpine set up, Dolby II 7.1 Dolby Surround Sound with 13 speakers and a sub in the boot!!!! Not bad for a factory system.

Got £18K trade in as well, so pretty happy with that.

MattS said:
Well the order is placed!!! Ordered a Grey Freelander 2 TD4 HSE, has everything on it and I have also had Zenon lights with adaptive forward lighting and privacy glass.

The stereo system is an Alpine set up, Dolby II 7.1 Dolby Surround Sound with 13 speakers and a sub in the boot!!!! Not bad for a factory system.

What did that cost you ?
A fully loaded CRV 2.2ctdi (leather,cruise,satnav,premium stereo with sub etc.etc.) + 19 inch wheels will set me (the company) around £26K.

emzino said:
Any ideas in mind for what you want? It's very difficult because not everyone could settle for a BMW/Merc but Audi have always been a brand you could settle for.

Can you explain what "not everyone could settle for a BMW/MERC" means?

J.

I went from Audi to BMW and im loving it.
You get the BMW haters but they are very good cars and loads of rwd fun.
I havent had mine long but no faults yet.

bowfer said:
What did that cost you ?
A fully loaded CRV 2.2ctdi (leather,cruise,satnav,premium stereo with sub etc.etc.) + 19 inch wheels will set me (the company) around £26K.

Should have been £34.5K at list, but I got a call from the dealers late this afternoon, they have a 3 month old one, exactly the same spec as the one I ordered but with just a few 000 miles on it and I can have that for £26K

I think I might save myself the extra and get the used one if it is good as they say.

I think this would be a wise choice and could have it quicker!!

you can get 6 month old grand cherokee`s for under 20k if you hagle hard.

they have a mercedes 3.0v6 diesel in them and can be remapped to 260 - 270bhp

bargain !!!!

a3guy said:
you can get 6 month old grand cherokee`s for under 20k if you hagle hard.

they have a mercedes 3.0v6 diesel in them and can be remapped to 260 - 270bhp

bargain !!!!

True, and this wasanother option, but the interior build quality is typical American, terrible.

yes the interior is not the best, but a make over is due for the end of the year , so the interior will be much better quality.

does not help you now really , but i might go for one of these next year if they are any good.

270bhp diesel :)