Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 81 to 96 of 96
  1. #81
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12

    S3 Mirrors

    Does anyone know an outfit that could etch the chasis number on the inner (inward facing) part of the mirror housing, so that it could be seen when folded in? I for one fancy keeping the mirrors on my 07' S3
    2007 S3 - Phantom Black, Black/Crimson, Bose, Light & Rain, non smoke, flat tyre, flat bot/s-wheel, cruise, light pack, folding mirrors, luggage, storage, park sens, Phatnoise.....

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #82
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12

    copy of e-mail sent to etching company...

    I (and possibly some other S3 owners) am looking to get some 2007 audi s3 mirrors (made of aluminium) security etched, with "Stolen from <numberplate> Phone <phone number>. Would this be possible, along with a few other items on the car?

    Thanks
    2007 S3 - Phantom Black, Black/Crimson, Bose, Light & Rain, non smoke, flat tyre, flat bot/s-wheel, cruise, light pack, folding mirrors, luggage, storage, park sens, Phatnoise.....

  4. #83
    Caesium's Avatar
    My BM is fixed!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    4,858
    how about making them quick release so you can pop them off and put them in the boot!?
    Chris

    The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

    See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

    Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

  5. #84
    Caesium's Avatar
    My BM is fixed!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    4,858
    The guy who's selling them on the bay has taken a picture of himself in the mirror, can someone enhance it so we can see what he looks like. Keep an eye out for him like...


    Chris

    The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

    See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

    Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

  6. #85
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,538
    Quote Originally Posted by prt57
    b) Is there a guide to getting the silver caps off without damaging them in any way at all?
    you'll find two small screws under the mirror on the black plastic bit - remove these. (this is not necessarily required, but I've found it makes the casing a bit easier to remove.
    next remove the mirror glass by pushing it all the way in or out so you can get your fingers in behind one side of it, and gently prise the glass out. It his held on by a circular clip thing in the centre. I had my lovely new car for all of 10 minutes and was swapping my standard casings for my S3 casings and managed to split the passenger mirror glass.

    once you have the glass out, you should be able to see how the casing comes off. from memory it comes off in a twisting motion downwards and to the rear of the car. once you have one off the other is much easier.

    If you're really stuck, you could always try to track down a be-tracksuited teenager in your local area who'll be more than happy to remove them for you.

  7. #86
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    27
    Hi, PRT57,

    a) You can get pre sprayed or just primed from the factory.

    Cost of dealer parts (I know I've been back a few times !!)

    - Pre sprayed colour coded caps cost 81 / side
    - Alu Caps are 168 / Side
    - Glass (std - not anti dazzle, not convex etc) costs 23 / side
    - Mounts are 58 / Side
    - 2hrs Labour charged at 260

    Total cost should be 760 for ALU caps and 584 for colour coded from a dealer

    I have quoted with a number of dealers, most will try and charge for 3 hrs work .. Audi recommend 2 hrs for the job so make sure you only pay for 2 hrs !! They may also try and charge for anti dazzle or convex tinted mirrors - std work perfectly well !

    I currently have Phantom Black colour coded with std glass (etched with No. Plate)
    Phantom Black '07 S3

  8. #87
    S3 LTN
    Guest
    rcourtney quick question...
    How did you etch on the no.plate? And where did you etch them?

  9. #88
    JohnS3's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,021
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnet
    Does anyone know an outfit that could etch the chasis number on the inner (inward facing) part of the mirror housing, so that it could be seen when folded in? I for one fancy keeping the mirrors on my 07' S3
    Thats a great idea, I'll be watching this thread with interest! Autoglass used to etch reg numbers onto glass, not sure if they still do it. Might be worth a quick call.


  10. #89
    JohnS3's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,021
    Quote Originally Posted by A4Quattro
    The guy who's selling them on the bay has taken a picture of himself in the mirror, can someone enhance it so we can see what he looks like. Keep an eye out for him like...


    Is this him?


  11. #90
    prt57's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by rcourtney
    Hi, PRT57,

    a) You can get pre sprayed or just primed from the factory.

    Cost of dealer parts (I know I've been back a few times !!)

    - Pre sprayed colour coded caps cost 81 / side
    - Alu Caps are 168 / Side
    - Glass (std - not anti dazzle, not convex etc) costs 23 / side
    - Mounts are 58 / Side
    - 2hrs Labour charged at 260

    Total cost should be 760 for ALU caps and 584 for colour coded from a dealer

    I have quoted with a number of dealers, most will try and charge for 3 hrs work .. Audi recommend 2 hrs for the job so make sure you only pay for 2 hrs !! They may also try and charge for anti dazzle or convex tinted mirrors - std work perfectly well !

    I currently have Phantom Black colour coded with std glass (etched with No. Plate)
    Thanks for the info regarding the prices.
    I was under the impression that you had to get the caps sprayed in this country. Painted at the factory would be better as the colour should be spot on.
    Why the massive labour charge, I thought it would be off with the silver caps and on with the red!!

    Cheers, prt

  12. #91
    JamS3's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees
    Posts
    2,248
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnet
    Does anyone know an outfit that could etch the chasis number on the inner (inward facing) part of the mirror housing, so that it could be seen when folded in? I for one fancy keeping the mirrors on my 07' S3

    And how would this stop them from being stolen?

    The thief would not waste his/her time looking for a chassis/number plate number on them whilst pilfering.

    If found after the pilfer it would be simply ground/filed off and if not by the seller then probs the buyer as they would want them no matter what!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

  13. #92
    consilio's Avatar
    Up the owls!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    659
    You can never prevent crime completely, but you can make it as difficult as possible, to the point where it isn't worth the effort.

    If we all had our registration numbers etched, nicking S3 mirrors would no longer be such a profitable crime. Filing away any etching will only devalue the item due to damage, and will also be more effort for the criminal to prepare them for sale. Lets face it, they will probably be so high on drugs they cant be bothered anyway.

  14. #93
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    144
    But ultimately there are people out there who will not mind buying a set of nicked mirrors and the whole point about etching the registration number on them where it is not visible means that some people will still be happy to buy them as you won't be able to see it. The reality is that they will always be nickable and that is the price we all have to pay for having desirable toys. Sad but True
    2007 A6 Allroad 3.2 FSI Quattro - Lava Grey, sports seats, silver Headlining, Acoustic parking, armrest, multi-function steering wheel, cruise control, Xenons, , Sat nav, GSM, Audi MMI

  15. #94
    Vertigo1's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,572
    Quote Originally Posted by IH786
    I can see my S3 out of the bedroom window, and if i hear anything, i always take a qucik glance out of the window. We have CCTV installed and a sign stating that, so if anyone did try something, they would be on tape
    All the sign will do is warn them so, when they do come round for them, they'll be wearing ballaclavas.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

  16. #95
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 LTN
    rcourtney quick question...
    How did you etch on the no.plate? And where did you etch them?
    Inside the Caps and on the bottom right hand corner of the glass - its not noticeable while driving but if you look at the mirrors you can clearly see that the number plate is etched on them. After having them stolen twice in two weeks; they havent been touched.

    Glass isn't expensive to replace so dont mind marking it inorder to give a visable deterrent. If I move i'll change the glass

    Used an etching pen - very cheap and very simple to use

    Hope that helps
    Phantom Black '07 S3

  17. #96
    S3 LTN
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rcourtney
    Inside the Caps and on the bottom right hand corner of the glass - its not noticeable while driving but if you look at the mirrors you can clearly see that the number plate is etched on them. After having them stolen twice in two weeks; they havent been touched.

    Glass isn't expensive to replace so dont mind marking it inorder to give a visable deterrent. If I move i'll change the glass

    Used an etching pen - very cheap and very simple to use

    Hope that helps

    Brilliant mate. Thanks alot for that. Don't want to give any W***** that chance of nicking them.

    Cheers

 

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO