S3 Factory engine change?

s3mike

Reaction score
Does anyone think Audi will do the same as with the 8L S3 and release a more powerful version in time?

Maybe when the 135i BMW comes out and they want to keep up with the hot hatch power race!

I'm still waiting for my S3 and it would be most annoying if they did, this happened to me with my Leon Cupra R, about a month after I bought it it went from 210->225!

I doubt any increase in peformance would be very noticeable but it could hit the resale values of the early cars.

i doubt it. The 8P has already had a number of different models and minor lifts with the sportback.. If the rumours are true, then theres supposed to be a new A3 in 2010.

I'd be suprised if they did,I would have thought they would wait for the facelift / model renewal and perhaps then bring our S and RS versions, and Cab that we all keep hearing rumours about.

When I bought my S3 at the start of the yr, the dealer told me to expect a new model A3 around 2010

That is something that has bothered me a little bit, but hopefully they won't. I think they did a lot of extra internal engine mods to the current 20T FSI engine for the S3 and maybe that took it as far power wise as they were willing to go taking into account reliability Etc.

Fingers crossed

Mark

yeah, but those power mods and internal engine changes are seen on the Golf GTi Anniversary 30 and the Seat Leon Cupra. The seat having only 20bhp less, and no quattro to manage. I'm guessing in gear times aren't miles off the S3, not chekced this out, just assuming, so maybe there will be a power hike on the S3 at some point.... just playing devils advocate!

Didn't Audi have plans for a "hot" TT? Might it use the S3 engine with a little more tuning??

Indeed the TTS using a 280 BHP version of the S3 engine, I suspect as usual with some of Audi's engine's and from people rolling road reports, that the S3 already pushes out about 280 BHP.

A4C

Yer there is a v5 poss twin turbo Audi TT on the way, speaking to some friends in germany they are still thinking of an RS3 with the same engine. and do confirm 2010 for new A3.

I doubt Audi will be, Audi are targeting the Mini market next year and the new A4 as well. The RS3 is a myth, and the S3 was a good why through the production cycle of the A3. I just cant see it myself.

I too think they will change in 2010 with the newer S3 arriving later. Some mags do report that we will see an RS3 first but I can't quite see where this would fit in the Audi range from a price perspective, who knows ?!?

I don't think a small hike in power will affect residuals a great deal if they do go down this route and I won't be too bothered as this will be the encouragement I need to tune mine, for the moment I'm very happy with 260+ horses.

s3mike said:
Does anyone think Audi will do the same as with the 8L S3 and release a more powerful version in time?

Maybe when the 135i BMW comes out and they want to keep up with the hot hatch power race!

I'm still waiting for my S3 and it would be most annoying if they did, this happened to me with my Leon Cupra R, about a month after I bought it it went from 210->225!

I doubt any increase in peformance would be very noticeable but it could hit the resale values of the early cars.

They only "limited" the power on the 8L S3 initially as the TT was coming out and Audi had to let that be seen as the market leader with the most power, some say there was no difference with power and it was just a marketing gimmick by Audi.

Once the TT was olut for a while, a couple of years I think and it sold well funny enough the power was raised the same to 225...

course there will be a power increase before the new A3 is out - they ae not going to run the same car with the same power for three years!!! They daren't they wil get left behind.... i reckon end-ish 2008 early 2009 there will be a hotter version - say 280-300bhp

JohnS3 said:
Didn't Audi have plans for a "hot" TT? Might it use the S3 engine with a little more tuning??

as already said really, but theres supposed to be an RS-TT with a 2.5 BiTurbo engine.

The person I know high-up in a dealership says that S3 Sportback is on its way, along with TT S and TT Roadster S.

No idea about engines in the TT at this stage.

Audi are definitely doing a TTRS, not sure on the TT S

steve184 said:
course there will be a power increase before the new A3 is out - they ae not going to run the same car with the same power for three years!!! They daren't they wil get left behind.... i reckon end-ish 2008 early 2009 there will be a hotter version - say 280-300bhp

Very much doubt it!

They have already hiked the power up over the Skoda and Cupra etc with the same engine, they sat on the original S3 power for 3 or 4 years.

I think the only time when it will get more power is when the new A3 comes out in 2010 then we will have to wait a few years probs for the new S3 to come out.

AL_B said:
The person I know high-up in a dealership says that S3 Sportback is on its way, along with TT S and TT Roadster S.

S3 Sportback, I like the sound of that!

AL_B said:

:hubbahubba:
I would love an S3 Sportback, this would pretty much be my perfect car. Did they give you any time scales as to when the S3 Sportback could be released?

An S3 sportback? I cant see it to be honest. Unless they change the meaning of S to mean "supermarket"...

Why not, both the RS4 and RS6 are/were available in the avant/estate option.

Never been really too sure about the sportback, but I'd say the design went something like:

Designer1: OK, we got to get another 2 doors on this 8P by Friday.
Designer2: Cool.
Designer1: Damn, we can't physically fit another 2 doors on the car though.
Designer2: ******.
Designer1: Hey, lets just make it longer, and call it something different, no, something cool and sporty to hide the fact it has 5 doors..
Designer2: Hmm, how about sportback?
Designer1: Thats it! Thats added another few grands worth of kudos, almost enough to cover our design cockup..
Designer2: Won't people notice?
Designer1: Not a chance.... well, maybe.... OK, add some chrome roofrails...
Designer2: Pure genius...
Designer1: Neeeext...

madvw said:
Never been really too sure about the sportback, but I'd say the design went something like:

Designer1: OK, we got to get another 2 doors on this 8P by Friday.
Designer2: Cool.
Designer1: Damn, we can't physically fit another 2 doors on the car though.
Designer2: ******.
Designer1: Hey, lets just make it longer, and call it something different, no, something cool and sporty to hide the fact it has 5 doors..
Designer2: Hmm, how about sportback?
Designer1: Thats it! Thats added another few grands worth of kudos, almost enough to cover our design cockup..
Designer2: Won't people notice?
Designer1: Not a chance.... well, maybe.... OK, add some chrome roofrails...
Designer2: Pure genius...
Designer1: Neeeext...

Ha! I've never been a big fan of it either, seems a bit pointless to me, if you want more space/doors get an A4 not an A3

s3mike said:

I doubt that the S3 will see a power increase.

What I don´t doubt is that Audi will release a RS3 by spring 2008.

The S3 8P is the main reason for BMW to extend the 1-series with the 135i. Audi have know about the 135i for a long time and will most certainly not leave the 135i as the fastest hot hatch in Europe.

Problem is that the 135i engine can be chipped to approx. 350bhp.
Which means that Audi will have to use at least the 3.2 engine with turbo
to put the RS3 somewhere around 350bhp from factory.
A RS3 with less than 350bhp is comparable to a tuned S3 and that sure doesn´t attract the buyers.

As the RS- seats will be included I´d expect a starting price around €50.000.

Stockholm said:
....will most certainly not leave the 135i as the fastest hot hatch in Europe.

They dont really care. They already have the cards with the M3, M5 and the M6. All Audi have to shout about is the R8, which I can see being more common than grey hair in a daewoo.

I would be very suprised is an RS3 is ever born. Theres no market for one, well, not at the price they'd charge for one.

madvw said:
I would be very suprised is an RS3 is ever born. Theres no market for one, well, not at the price they'd charge for one.

The 135i will probably cost just around €45.000.
€5k more for quattro and RS- seats, that´s a bargain.

I don´t doubt that there´s a market for both the S3 Sportsback and the RS3.
I choose the S3 before the 3.2 Sportsback but would have preferred a S3 Sportsback.

You also have to bear in mind that every car made isn´t about profit.
The positioning of a brand is equally important.

Subaru and Mitsubishi have sold quite a few of their "rally cars" Lancer EVO and Impreza WRX mostly because of the attention from WRC.
WRC isn´t there for your entertainment. It´s a huge and extremely expensive marketing campaign.

Audi left the WRC and have spent that budget on RS-cars, the R8 and other cars that aren´t sure to be profitable but they all add to making the brand more exciting.
Many customers come into the dealer dreaming about the S/RS-cars but end up buying a 2.0 TDI.
That´s where the volume sales are and equally the profits.

Stockholm said:
Subaru and Mitsubishi have sold quite a few of their "rally cars" Lancer EVO and Impreza WRX mostly because of the attention from WRC.

Subaru and Mitsubishi have to sell a certain number of units to get the homologation so they can rally the cars.

Erm selling cars is ALL about profit, and Audi isnt stupid, they know their market very well, hence why they have had such good growth over the last few years...

They only have too look at how many S3s have been modded already to see there's a huge market for an RS3.

I remember reading somewhere (as usual I can't find the source) that the Mk4 R32 went from green light to production in a very short space of time. I can imagine Audi could do the same quite easily if they wanted.