TDI 170 Acceleration

Markm49

Reaction score
Eagerly awaiting the delivery of my 170 but having read around I am struggling to find the performance figures for 0-100mph which is a much better indicator of the real power of a car.

Does anyone know the 0-100mph figures for the A3 170 TDI ?

Cheers

Mark

The Audi Driver magazine did a road test on a 3-door 2.0TDI-170 quattro sport in the June 2007 issue. They did not give a 0-100mph figure but their 0-60 was 8.2 secs and 0-80 was 13.3 secs.

Also, more releveant to normal day-to-day driving the 30-50 figures were 3.4 secs in 3rd and 4.7 secs in 4th. The 50-70 figures were 4.7 secs in 4th, 5.8 secs in 5th and 7.0 secs in 6th.

also, is your a3 a quattro? if it is, it will be slower 0-100 than a non quattro

And the DSG is quicker. 7.8 according to a number of tests and Audi data.

Well if it's mapped to more power & torque than the 170 puts out then yes, it'll be faster :)

When I spoke to the guy at Superchips a while back he said he'd yet to see a 170 that put out less than 180bhp.

I think they have got round them to an extent. A few tuners offering for the 170 now.

i measured 60-100 a while back as about 11 seconds so add this to 7.8 (mines a DSG) and i worked out (roughly) 19 secs to 100 - aint bad for a derv!

Shame Audi haven't put out any fast diesels like BMW have. 335D 0-100 in 12.5 seconds or something!

Shame they don't fit the 2.5 or 3.0 TDI quattro in the A3!

Personally I find the acceleration pretty good once you've got out of 1st and the engine comes on boost. Chipped the 170 gives over 400NM of torque!

Xedos said:
Shame Audi haven't put out any fast diesels like BMW have. 335D 0-100 in 12.5 seconds or something!

no they havent have they.... just a thonking great 4 litre v8 TDI!

Having had a quick drive in a friends new A8 I would second that, it's just a wave of seemless torque and even sounds quite reasonable for an oil burner however I then went on to look under the bonnet, if you fitted one in an A3 you'd be sitting in the back seat !

I'd hope the 170's 0-100 is better than the mind-numbing 26 seconds for the 140.
The 140 is reasonably quick 0-60 (under 9 seconds) but the change from 3rd to 4th gear,at bang on 60mph,kills the acceleration dead.
Even if they've kept the daft gearing jump from 3rd to 4th,the extra power will make a difference.
God knows why there's the jump though,there's no need for it in a six speed box.
The ratios could be much close together so that acceleration wasn't hurt.

170 (S-Tronic) is 7.8 to 100KMH. Not sure what the 0-100 mph is...

edowen said:
170 (S-Tronic) is 7.8 to 100KMH. Not sure what the 0-100 mph is...

The way thrust works,increases in power don't come into effect until higher speeds.
A lesser powered car can be as quick to 60 as a higher powered car.
So the 170 isn't that much quicker to 60 than the 140,but I'd expect it to be a good bit quicker to 100.
FWIW,the BMW320D puts out 163bhp,but is heavier than the 140 A3 sportback.
So they end up with a very similar power-to-weight ratio.
The BMW is considerably quicker to 100 though.
Around 5-6 seconds quicker.
Aerodynamics play little part at such relatively low speeds,so the quicker 0-100 time is down to better gearing than the A3.

I'll try to measure it on my way home (on a private road)........

"The way thrust works,increases in power don't come into effect until higher speeds."

Exactly, wind resitance & drag increase at the square of speed. So power levels have a much bigger effect on overcoming these at higher speed than lower speed.

bowfer said:
I'd hope the 170's 0-100 is better than the mind-numbing 26 seconds for the 140.
The 140 is reasonably quick 0-60 (under 9 seconds) but the change from 3rd to 4th gear,at bang on 60mph,kills the acceleration dead.
Even if they've kept the daft gearing jump from 3rd to 4th,the extra power will make a difference.
God knows why there's the jump though,there's no need for it in a six speed box.
The ratios could be much close together so that acceleration wasn't hurt.

Mine does not change from 3rd to 4th until 80mph!!!

paul051 said:
Mine does not change from 3rd to 4th until 80mph!!!

I would dispute the accuracy of that.
I remember the difference between manual and DSG gearing being discussed some time ago and,whilst there was a difference,there wasn't that much of a difference.
Certainly not a 20mph difference between 3rd gear in a manual and 3rd gear in a DSG.
I'd need to consult a gearing chart,but I can't be ***** looking for one.

EDIT - I found one saying the 3rd gear ratio on a manual 140tdi is 1.324,as opposed to 1.3 on the DSG.
Very little difference,so there's no way your car does 80mph in third,sorry.

I thought my old 140 was quicker than the 170 and smoother. just my pennys worth!

Will check but sure my (S-tonric) 170 does 60 before it goes to 4th..

I've been out and tried some test in my 170. Each figure is the average of 3 runs in each direction on a deserted road that has now been replaced by a new bypass and using my GPS speedo.

My car does 0-80mph in 13.5 secs which is about the same as the figure (13.3) given in the Audi Driver magazine report.

It does 0-100 in 22.5 secs.

It changes from 3rd to 4th in D at around 30, in S at around 55 and in tip-tronic @4400rpm at around 60. These are all from a standing start with my foot on the floor.

So it would appear they haven't changed the gearing between the 140 and the 170 then.
I suppose it makes sense,it would cost too much.

So it would appear they haven't changed the gearing between the 140 and the 170 then.

No your right, Bowfer. When I looked at the ration details given in the workshop manual for the gearbox fitted to my present 170, they are exactly the same as those for the gearbox of my previous 140.

This may explain why the manual is slower to 60 than the S-tronic if there are 3 changes to 60, given the quicker gear change of the s-tronic...

edowen said:
This may explain why the manual is slower to 60 than the S-tronic if there are 3 changes to 60, given the quicker gear change of the s-tronic...

Audi deliberately geared DSG for a more impressive 0-60 time than the manual.
Hence the slightly lower third gear,which changes up to 4th at more-or-less bang on 60mph.
Even a fraction of a second quicker to 60,compared with the manual,will have helped them market DSG as a 'sports gearbox'.
Interestingly (we've had this debate before) it all depends on how they measure 0-60.
If they measure it from the moment the wheels start turning,then DSG is faster.
In the 'real world' a DSG driver has to allow for a delay between pressing the throttle and the car rolling,so a manual driver 'riding the clutch' may get the jump on them.

bowfer said:
I would dispute the accuracy of that.
I remember the difference between manual and DSG gearing being discussed some time ago and,whilst there was a difference,there wasn't that much of a difference.
Certainly not a 20mph difference between 3rd gear in a manual and 3rd gear in a DSG.
I'd need to consult a gearing chart,but I can't be ***** looking for one.

EDIT - I found one saying the 3rd gear ratio on a manual 140tdi is 1.324,as opposed to 1.3 on the DSG.
Very little difference,so there's no way your car does 80mph in third,sorry.

I can guarantee you it does as i did it this morning on the way to the office!!!
Do i have to film it for you to listen???

Dont know if the Bluefin makes a difference but mine revs to just over 5000rpm now so that could be the extra legs in 3rd.

I'd need a proper gearing chart,but (very roughly) a DSG would have to be doing 5900rpm in 3rd to do 80mph.
The manual runs roughly 1.85% higher gearing,so it would need 1.85% less revs to do 80mph in third.
5900 reduced by 1.85% is 5790rpm.
Unless you're saying your car revs to 5800rpm in third,it's not doing 80mph.
Speedo error,at best.

GPS error also then. shame none of my equipment is working to your very high standards!! You are wasted sat on here all day, think about it if you put as much effort into you work you might progress on to a better motor than your A3 and you will have nothing to complain about.

On a serious note tho stop being a boffin.. It flys past 60 in 3rd and give or take a few mph for speedo error it will still be hitting 75mph on the GPS.

paul1501

What is the code for your gearbox. Should be a 3 letter code and is quoted on the car data sticker in the boot or in your service schedule book. When I know the code I can get the gear and final drive ratios for particular gearbox.

I will have a look for you later, the car is in the office carpark at the minute.

Cheers, Paul