Excessive Oil Consumption.........

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my A3 with 5800miles on the clock 9mths ago and it now has 18000 miles on it and since i have had it i have had to put 4 litres of oil into it, i am finding this quite excessive.

Anyone have the same problem?

Mine is pretty good - its used next to none which has supprised me. VW used to have engines (the old 2l 8v) which could really get through the oil, but none of my newer cars have.

RobinA3 said:
I bought my A3 with 5800miles on the clock 9mths ago and it now has 18000 miles on it and since i have had it i have had to put 4 litres of oil into it, i am finding this quite excessive.

That's very high.

My 2.0T needed topping up from new after about 3000 miles with about 1/3rd of the litre of oil supplied with the car. The level hasn't budged from 'full' since, and the car is almost a year old now.

I would get it checked out with your dealer.

If you look at the owners manual it states 0.5L per 600 miles is the Audis perceived excessive oil consumption.

I know, that is rediculas but that is what the manual states,

Mine has used 3L in 14,000 miles. I still think that's too much but Audi don't! It is VERY thin oil but the TDi's do seem to have a taste for it.

Mine has used 2.5 litres in 22k miles now. The 2.0 TFSI's do seem to like thier oil from what I've read on this forum and other forums. Unfortunately I think if you take your car to the dealer they will give you the standard answer of "the oil consumption is within the specified limits for this vehicle sir"

Check out this thread on TSN in the GTI forum:
http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/996773/page/2/fpart/1/vc/1

We've got the following VAG products in our fleet.

Audi A3 2.0 Fsi
Audi A3 2.0 tdi (mine)
Audi A4 2.0T quattro
VW Golf 140 tdi
VW Passat 140 tdi
VW Jetta 140 tdi

The MD got so sick of seeing invoices for bottles of VAG oil that he sourced bulk oil from Morris lubricants.

Says it all.

I put in half the supplied bottle at 10k5. Not a drop before that though.

RobinA3 said:

Had a similar thing with my 53 plate 2.0TDi.
It used about 5 litres in 18k miles, but the oil consumption gradually decreased over the 45k miles and 2 1/2 years I had the car.

The 05 plate I have now has been much better.
I got it last June with 10k miles on the clock and have put another 17k on top of that. In 1 year I've put in 1 litre.

It doesn't seem to be a consistent problem with any particular engine or year, just random.

must be because you get such good mpg figures you brag about! its gotta use juice somewhere guess your car has more of an apetite for oil than petrol!

I've read elsewhere that you need to give the engines a good thrashing when run-in to bed the piston rings and bearings properly. One of the problems with modern engines tolerances and materials is that there is very little wear with fully synthetic oils- so bedding in takes ages. A more drastic answer is to change to a non-synthetic oil for a few thousand miles.

My 2.0T has used one litre of oil in 12,500 miles from new. I did notice that oil consumption has eased as the mileage has increased.

Hi guys, I have just joined the forum abd would like to say hello at the same time.

I bought an A3 Sline 2.0tdi quattro in feb of last year(08) I seem to be getting through a litre of oil every 3500 miles. I have just topped it up to the maximum again 1.0 lire with 7500 miles on the clock.

You you reckon there's a problem. I rarely drive the car, it's mainly driven by the wife daily on a 8-10 mile round trip.
Tia john

Are there any oil droplets under car in morning?

Try not topping it to the maximum everytime.

The TFSi's for sure will just burn it off until it settles around the mid way point - I've on my 3rd TFSi now and they've all been the same. It's possible your TDi might be similar.

Wow old post

My oil consumption has gone down now, only used 1 litre every 8k miles or so now. Time needed for the rings to bed in properly.

NHN no oil under the car, I did do a visual check when the low oil level light came on the first time. I put it down the factory putting the bare minimum in. I did top it up to the full mark, but this time only half way between the two. I will have to wait and see what happens. Thx for the replys guys.