Volks AutosSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

Steering wheel. 3-spoke vs 4-spoke

I'm considering retrofiting a Multifunction steering wheel to my A3.

The 3-spoke and the 4-spoke steering wheels are the same price, and as far as i know, they are interchangable.

Based on your experinces , which one would you go for?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    It depends on personnal preference really. IF I were changing an A3 steerign wheel I would go for the Flat Bottom version fitted in the S3 as I love it. Having said that, if I were buying one from scratch I would probably also order it in Alcantara as I just love the way the Alcantara steering wheels feel.

For me 3 spoke is slightly more sporty and 4 spoke more 'executive'.
    Nothing to see here: Woofdoggy , move along please........

1st Gear

Status
    The airbag isn't interchangable; thats another £500+
    2008 VW Golf R32 3dr

DBP :: RNS510 :: Winter Pack :: Retrofit Cruise :: OEM LED Tail Lights :: R-line badges ::

Neutral

Status
    Are the S3 sterring wheels interchangable. I would change the round one for a round MFSW just to avoid the airbag issue?

Anyone no? Price?
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport - Currently Broken

Status
    My SE has the four-spoke and it's not the nicest wheel ever. The three-spoke is smaller and better looking, especially with the S-Line trim, so I'd go for that.

If it wasn't so expensive I'd like to swap them as well.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by thebears
    Are the S3 sterring wheels interchangable. I would change the round one for a round MFSW just to avoid the airbag issue?

Anyone no? Price?
    The flat bottom wheel has its own airbag exclusive to that wheel as it has a circular centre and the other wheels all have the same non circular shape!

I have enquired into putting a flat bottom one on my S3 but it will cost nearly a grand with the cost of the wheel and airbag plus fitting!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JamS3
    The flat bottom wheel has its own airbag exclusive to that wheel as it has a circular centre and the other wheels all have the same non circular shape!

I have enquired into putting a flat bottom one on my S3 but it will cost nearly a grand with the cost of the wheel and airbag plus fitting!
    I would stick with the round MFSW just to avoid the airbag issue, they must be interchangable.

The only downside of being impatiant and not wanting to wait for new delivery, buying the ex-demo without it.

6th Gear

Status
    Ah I see what you mean!

I was thinking you meant the round part where the airbag was but you are referring to the round wheel doh!

Yes I got my S3 very early due to a cancelled order and it was specced fairly high as you can see below but only got normal steering wheel!!

I think it must be a straight swop too but how would the multi function controls from the wheel connect up, the wiring loom will not already be there i'm sure!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

Neutral

Status
    Spoke to Ed and he seams to think that it will be a straight swap as well. Its like heated seats, do you think Audi make seat with and without heaters? No. its just a new switch and a code change via vag-com. I am hoping the wheel is the same as i want to get it done. For some reason i have BT phone prep but its bloody useless without the MSFW.

Looking at your spec you have the same problem as me, BT without the MFSW even though the brochure advises to have it.

The centres (ie the airbag) are the same so that must be a swap, as you say the wiring will be the difficult one!

6th Gear

Status
    Well i know the heated seats out the 8L S3 dont come with the elements in if they are not specced from the factory you have to find some from a scrappy.