S3 + Bilstein PSS10 + H&R anti roll Kit inst.

mikenbn

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just got back from a fun packed afternoon - I'm an expert on suspension and sway-bars after today - learned so much watching them install mine... and the end result is pure excitement... handling is at another level. Body roll is practically non existent.

The car rides better than stock on a number 2 setting yet sits 30mm lower at the rear and 45mm at the front with 35series rubber.

Even on the bumpiest of roads it holds its composure giving you better control.

I haven't pushed it to the limit since I have new tyres on but there's no understeer thus far - even at sharp 90 degree turns in second , no evidence of body roll. Just loads and loads of grip ......... Absolutely love it !!!!

Cheers
Mike

Stock Car Pics
1.JPG

Bilstein PSS10 Height and Damper adjustable
3.JPG

H&R Anti Roll Kit
4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

Rear Damper adjustment 1 to 10 settings can be adjusted on the car. 1 being soft and 10 track use.
7.JPG

Front Damper Adjustment - once again can be adjusted on the car a wheel at a time with full lock
8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

The top sway is front stock 2mm smaller in diametre and hollow compared to the Solid H&R sawy bar
12.JPG

Standard S3 Brakes
13.JPG

Standard Front and Rear suspension set-up
14.JPG

16.JPG

18.JPG

H&R Sway installed on standard hole as it would be too stiff on the second for road use
15.JPG

Installation and comparison of Bilsteins to stock setup note Height is only set at half way - another 30mm is possible if you didn't live in Sydney
17.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

19" B7 RS4 Reps with Conti CS3
25.JPG

Front Damper adjustment on car
31.JPG

32.JPG

Rear Damper Adjustment on car
33.JPG

Lastly 4 wheel alignment
26.JPG

27.JPG

28.JPG

29.JPG

30.JPG

34.JPG

35.JPG

36.JPG

Finished Product

37.JPG

38.JPG

39.JPG

40.JPG

41.JPG

42.JPG

43.JPG

44.JPG

45.JPG

Your car looks amazing! Very nice :icon_thumright: How much did the whole suspension setup cost you??

Mike

Looks great!

I see they set the whole lot at 4, is this harder or softer than the standard S3 set up?

Looking at the dial 10 is the hardest, so the great question is what is the ride like in comparisson to standard S3 when set at 4 and therefore is it a lot softer at 1 and like a brick at 10?

Thanks in advance

James

Looks awesome! couple of questions...

Where did you get this done?

How much did it cost?

Where did you get the 19 RS4's?, do they fit ok? and how much did they cost?

Do you have any rubbing issues?

Have you told your insurance company?, if so, are they charging more?

Thanks for posting the pictures of your car, it really does look the dogs!

Thanks fellows Appreciate it...

I'm actually in Sydney Aus Guys so prices may vary
PSS10 is around AU$ 3300 + fit + align
H&R Anti roll Kit AU$ 1000 + fit
I got the wheels imported from Italy - they did rum against the bolt that holds the rear bar to the arch - replaced it with a smaller flat head screw and filled the edges - all good now .... ET is 42 on the wheels and tyres are 235 /35.....

In regards to setting 4 its perfect if you have great roads - the ride is actually better than stock - I've moved mine down to 2 as Syd roads are s*1t
and its perfect - No under steer and most of all no body roll. The ride is smooth and composed - no unwanted rebound like the stock car
Anything above 6 and you can feel every tooth pick on the road but for track days it will be amazing

The PSS10 will fit the A3TQ also - identical set-up

Let me know if you have any further questions

Cheers
Mike

Yep one question: whats with the number plates in aus?

:)

Great looking car!

wow i love black s3's , nice one mate u have a beuaty there , u gona tune the engine now ?

Looking at that drop and those 19" rims actually makes me like the 8P S3...

Those pss10's look really nice too...

you must be chuffed :)

madvw said:
Looking at that drop and those 19" rims actually makes me like the 8P S3...

Those pss10's look really nice too...

you must be chuffed :)

Whats wrong with the 8P S3?

looks good, and the reps look good too, if i cud find a set like that in the Uk id get em, they look more silver then normal ones here

Thanks for the comments guys - most appreciated after esp after the long day I had yesterday...... and yes very happy and worth every it - its perfect for a daily driver with the set-up as is and ready for the track with a few turns when needed.

Yep next is Oettinger 400hp upgrade + Haldex controller which I will start on as soon as the car is run-in - I only have 450km on the clock now - around 250miles in ur language ;)

klauster said:
looks good, and the reps look good too, if i cud find a set like that in the Uk id get em, they look more silver then normal ones here

awesome-gti do some nice RS4 reps.

siu00adg said:
awesome-gti do some nice RS4 reps.

So uprating the turbo and intercooler and chip n turbo back exhaust ? when will u do it , what is run mileage ?

madalex said:
So uprating the turbo and intercooler and chip n turbo back exhaust ? when will u do it , what is run mileage ?

The current plan is to do the exhaust, CAI, DV, suspention pretty soon, then after 2000-3000 miles get it stage 3 custom code remapped.

run in is about 1000 miles keeping it under 4k rpm, I'm going to keep it under 3k rpm for the first 500 miles or so.

Not touching the turbo or intercooler, don't want to risk invalidating the warranty too much. I can't see me keeping the car for much more than 3 years, but if i do, i might do more to it then.

mikenbn said:
Thanks for the comments guys - most appreciated after esp after the long day I had yesterday...... and yes very happy and worth every it - its perfect for a daily driver with the set-up as is and ready for the track with a few turns when needed.

Yep next is Oettinger 400hp upgrade + Haldex controller which I will start on as soon as the car is run-in - I only have 450km on the clock now - around 250miles in ur language ;)

400bhp? do they change the turbo to get that? Warranty?

I looked on the Oettinger website and the highest hp they quote for the S3 is 350, where did you hear about the 400 upgrade?

siu00adg said:
400bhp? do they change the turbo to get that? Warranty?

I looked on the Oettinger website and the highest hp they quote for the S3 is 350, where did you hear about the 400 upgrade?

Hey Matey,

The kit is currently with APR who own Oettinger and has been released for the GTi - Based around the garrett GT2871R turbocharger

The kit includes a new front mount intercooler, new FSI rail pump, injectors, manifold, plumbing, air intake system, turbo, (the main part that will change on our cars along with the turbo will be downturn pipe & exhaust with software upgrade )

Check out this site - trust me its very fast - 0- 400 will be 11 sec mark
http://www.makeyourfastfaster.com/

APRSIIIFSI.jpg

that will disappear for good when the new turbo is fitted

klauster said:
that will disappear for good when the new turbo is fitted

The warranty will be void for anything thats modified, or connected with anything thats modified. The warranty for interior and bodywork will be intact.

which is why I'm going to squeeze as much out of the engine with custom code, exhaust and CAI as possible. I expect I'll get 350+bhp without changing the turbo, but we'll see...

madvw said:
The warranty will be void for anything thats modified, or connected with anything thats modified. The warranty for interior and bodywork will be intact.

technically yes, but in reality thats not the case, an exhaust and remap very rarely voids the warranty in relation to the engine, in my experience anyway

mikenbn said:
Installation and comparison of Bilsteins to stock setup note Height is only set at half way - another 30mm is possible if you didn't live in Sydney

19" B7 RS4 Reps with Conti CS3

Congrats man! Your car looks awsome!!!

[URL="http://www.lost.se/s3.jpg"][URL="http://www.lost.se/s3.jpg"][/URL][/URL]:hubbahubba:

(my Black S3 without the 19´s looks like a A3 1.6 in comparsion)

I will definately get studded tyres for the original 18´s this winter and the 19 in. RS4 replicas by spring 2008.
I´d really love to fit the original RS4 wheels with RS4 offset but that "arch- project" would probably end with voided bodywork warranty.

Adjustable Haldex controller will be next, it´s a must before the snow starts falling.
Please keep us posted as your project proceeds. Really nice reading and great documentation!

One question though. Maybe I´ve missed it but in the pic where I can see the adjustment for the rear damper - the inside of the wheel is black?
Different set of wheels?

Cheers from around the globe

Nice pictures!
Could you still go lower from the front or is it all the way down already?

awesome mate truley perfect set up, and a great help for me as this is the suspension set up im looking into gettin :)

also you can tell ur from AUS as under your car is imaculate

chris