Badger5AH Fabrications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 46
  1. #1
    Stockholm

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    47

    I want to disable ESP, EDS and ASR!! (S3 8P)

    Hi Guys,

    I´ve had my S3 for 6 months now and I almost love it.
    It´s a demo car from December 2006 - does that make it a MY07?

    No mods yet - but your answers to this question might want me to chip it.

    ***
    What I don´t love is that the EDS prohibits me from doing doughnuts.
    Maybe you´ll be laughing at me and say RTFM but I can only disable the ESP.

    When disabling the ESP I still can´t do doughnuts on dry asphalt.
    This is because the EDS automatically pulls the breaks.
    A few weeks ago I went at it in a huge empty parking.
    The car understeers and I started pulling the handbrake.
    Still reving, understeering, tyres screaming maybe for 2-3 minutes and finally klick!´
    I think the display said:

    : ESP ERROR
    : SEE
    : OWNERS
    : MANUAL

    Yippe!

    I looked in the manual (for the 1st time ever) and it told me that EDS automatically disables, not to overheat the breaks.

    When this "error" occured the car actually behaved as I would like it to.
    I could do wonderful doughnuts for a few minutes and left the parking looking
    like misty intro scene from Lord Of The Rings.

    On my way from the parking I went by a huge roundabout and took a few laps there. ESP ERROR was still in the middle display and the car was easy to drift in the roundabout.

    After about 15 minutes of fun I came back to my senses and realized this could actually be a problem.

    But I stopped and turned the engine of and after waiting for the breakes to cool down the car started and the ESP and EDS was back to normal.

    The only thing that wasn´t normal was my tyres which now have about 1-2mm of pattern left.

    Does anyone now if there is a easier way to turn of the EDS and make the S3 more "driftable"? Overheating the brakes seems a bit to drastic.
    Maybe this is a feature included in some ECU upgrade?

    Cheers from Sweden
    Stockholm S3

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    JohnS3's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,021
    Hi Stockholm,

    You're a crazy dude!! Welcome to AS.net.

    In the TT and RS4 if you press and hold the ESP button this turns off the ESP and ASR. I've tried this in my S3 and it just turns off the ESP, perhaps this is something that can be enabled with vagcom.

    Regards, John.


  4. #3
    Shao_khan's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Concrete Cow Central
    Posts
    250
    Perhaps as well havign a Haldex controller fitted might help - increase power bias to rear wheels?
    Nothing to see here: Woofdoggy , move along please........

  5. #4
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    144
    I will be boring first and suggest that there is a reason why they are there and that is to stop you doing exactly that.


    Then I wouldsay have a look at the fuses and see if pulling the odd one or two will give you the same effect.

    I would hasten to add that I do not advise pulling fuses to remove safety features on your car and that undertaking such actions are at your own risk and may invalidate your insurance
    2007 A6 Allroad 3.2 FSI Quattro - Lava Grey, sports seats, silver Headlining, Acoustic parking, armrest, multi-function steering wheel, cruise control, Xenons, , Sat nav, GSM, Audi MMI

  6. #5
    KRL
    KRL's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    523
    You are supposed to hold down the ESP button for more than 3-4 seconds. I've not tried this in my car, I'll give it a go to see if it works.
    Ice Silver S3 + every single option + REVO + BSH Street Can + Forge Twintake + Autotech


  7. #6
    JohnS3's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,021
    If you keep it pressed nothing happens. In the TT holding the button makes the DIS change from "ESP Off" to "ESP/ASR Off"


  8. #7
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    16
    I can't think of anything the S3 is less suited to than this but if you've got to do it, do it on snow. You can do great donuts with ESP off and very little stress on drivetrain/tires.

  9. #8
    klauster's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,140
    i need to ask

    why?


  10. #9
    Stockholm

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    47

    Freedom of choise

    Quote Originally Posted by klauster
    i need to ask

    why?

    Why? Because I wanna to be able to drive my car as I want to.
    I don´t want some bureaucrat at Audi disabling a feature that is available
    on perhaps all other Audis.

    I´ll have to ask you, Why did they disable the ESP and ASR off?
    To keep all the S3 8P´s in mint condition for our next gen?

    It´s not the doughnuts I´m after - it´s the ability to choose on my own.
    If you´re from England I presume that you´re driving on wet asphalt quite often.
    Even with ESP off I just can´t get the back to let go.
    I just want to be able to drift it in a curve once in a while.
    Mostly to make me smile when the rain i pouring.
    Last edited by Stockholm; 12th August 2007 at 07:05.

  11. #10
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    144

    Freedom of choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Stockholm
    Even with ESP off I just can´t get the back to let go.
    I just want to be able to drift it in a curve once in a while.
    Mostly to make me smile when the rain i pouring.
    As the whole objective of Quattro is to stop this from happening and give you increased control and road holding, I think you have probably bought the wrong car.

    However, you could always buy a Vagcom and turn off just about anything you want potentially
    2007 A6 Allroad 3.2 FSI Quattro - Lava Grey, sports seats, silver Headlining, Acoustic parking, armrest, multi-function steering wheel, cruise control, Xenons, , Sat nav, GSM, Audi MMI

  12. #11
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,488
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaudi
    As the whole objective of Quattro is to stop this from happening and give you increased control and road holding, I think you have probably bought the wrong car.
    Thats not what they told Hannu Mikkola ...


  13. #12
    klauster's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockholm
    Why? Because I wanna to be able to drive my car as I want to.
    I don´t want some bureaucrat at Audi disabling a feature that is available
    on perhaps all other Audis.

    I´ll have to ask you, Why did they disable the ESP and ASR off?
    To keep all the S3 8P´s in mint condition for our next gen?

    It´s not the doughnuts I´m after - it´s the ability to choose on my own.
    If you´re from England I presume that you´re driving on wet asphalt quite often.
    Even with ESP off I just can´t get the back to let go.
    I just want to be able to drift it in a curve once in a while.
    Mostly to make me smile when the rain i pouring.
    fair enuff, i think the reason you are having problems is because most drivers dont want this ability, or more importantly would end up crashing if they did have it... sounds deffo like a vagcom tweek

  14. #13
    Stockholm

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    47
    What I think is strange is that no one else seems to be interested in disabling the ESP/ASR to do a little drifting.
    From you it sounds like people would either put too much stress on the drive train or even crash their car.

    You don´t by a S3 if you don´t know how to drive.
    And if you didn´t knew before you´ll hopefully learn while driving it.

    A 4WD car with close to 300hp should give the driver the choise of how to drive it.

    And speaking of stress on the drive train. I´m sure that the stress will be alot higher when you dump the clutch at 5000 rpm to do a nice 0-60 at the red lights.

    If this "feature" is available on the TT but not the S3, I feel sick.
    Because I´d pick the TT in a second instead if I had known this.

  15. #14
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    144

    How to get old

    Quote Originally Posted by madvw
    Thats not what they told Hannu Mikkola ...
    Hannu - professional rally driver with a whole team of specialists who probably do more to his car than is technically possible with a Vag-Com

    My view is simple - if you want to do that level of tweaking to the car and use it at the edge of the "road car" envelope then you are probably best taking the car to a specialist and getting them to set it up the way you need it as then it will be done by people who properly understand your needs and can advise you on how to do what you want safely. But I am a boring old fart who has got old by getting people who know what they are doing to tweak cars when needed

    "A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again." Alexander Pope (1688 - 1744)
    2007 A6 Allroad 3.2 FSI Quattro - Lava Grey, sports seats, silver Headlining, Acoustic parking, armrest, multi-function steering wheel, cruise control, Xenons, , Sat nav, GSM, Audi MMI

  16. #15
    stusav's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4

    mental

    i am just glad that i dont live in sweden and decide to buy a 2nd hand S3 . To good a car to wreck in my opinon. But if you must have fun doing it

  17. #16
    Stockholm

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaudi
    As the whole objective of Quattro is to stop this from happening and give you increased control and road holding, I think you have probably bought the wrong car.
    Well.. maybe I should have picked the RS4 instead.
    But it didn´t fit my budget this time.

    I can see your objective of quattro - but then, I can also see the objective of you having a speed limiter installed

    You have the 3.2? I really liked it during the test runs.
    Can you fully disable ESP / ASR by keeping the button for more than 3-4 secs?

  18. #17
    klauster's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockholm
    What I think is strange is that no one else seems to be interested in disabling the ESP/ASR to do a little drifting.
    From you it sounds like people would either put too much stress on the drive train or even crash their car.

    You don´t by a S3 if you don´t know how to drive.
    And if you didn´t knew before you´ll hopefully learn while driving it.

    A 4WD car with close to 300hp should give the driver the choise of how to drive it.

    And speaking of stress on the drive train. I´m sure that the stress will be alot higher when you dump the clutch at 5000 rpm to do a nice 0-60 at the red lights.

    If this "feature" is available on the TT but not the S3, I feel sick.
    Because I´d pick the TT in a second instead if I had known this.
    you think everyone driving an S3 should be able to drift the car around corners?

    you think everyone driving an S3 knows how to drive?

    I can drive, and I would like the ability to turn the computer sh*t off to enable me to do what i want, but I can also understand why its not just a press of a button.

  19. #18
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    144
    In fairness I have only turned the ESP off once when messing around on a loose gravel surface offroad

    The 3.2 is a great car and is ideally suited for the older driver who wants big power, a great ride, superb cruising, an awesome engine sound and the ability to deliver power superbly smoothly when you need it.

    It is a very different car to the S3. I drove the S3 here in the UK on our roads and to be honest it was my first choice, but I found the ride too hard on our crap roads and when I heard the 3.2 engine I fell in love with it and the power delivery. I liked the grill on the S3 as it looks nicer with the vertical silver bars and even bought one which is now sitting in the garage as I couldn't find a way to debadge it nicely and didn't want the car to be a dressed up S3 when it wasn't one
    Last edited by jasaudi; 12th August 2007 at 12:55. Reason: left a bit off
    2007 A6 Allroad 3.2 FSI Quattro - Lava Grey, sports seats, silver Headlining, Acoustic parking, armrest, multi-function steering wheel, cruise control, Xenons, , Sat nav, GSM, Audi MMI

  20. #19
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    After our first trip to the ring we went into the deserted carpark at Brunnchen and me and my mate in his 8L S3 were happily doing doughnuts! Not quite what you get in a RWD car but still good fun. I didn't disable my ESP though. Could the ESP set up be different???

    I did on disable it on the track mind as after the 3rd lap it was kicking in constantly and slowing me down.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  21. #20
    Stockholm

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    47

    wreck..?

    Quote Originally Posted by stusav
    i am just glad that i dont live in sweden and decide to buy a 2nd hand S3 . To good a car to wreck in my opinon. But if you must have fun doing it
    Well, this isn´t about wrecking cars.
    I was just curious enough to test the limits.

    When I go into a corner a bit too fast with ESP off, the car understeers.
    I wanna be able to control the understeer into oversteer by giving more gas.

    Audi seems to think this sort of driving is suited only for other Audi owners, like TT and RSx

    My car is a demo and it has probably been driven like hell since day one.
    What´s funny though is that it accelerates better than the S3´s I´ve raced so far.
    All the guys I´ve raced have asked me if its ECU modded, which it isn´t.
    (If Audi didn´t factory tweak the cars that went of as demo?)

    People I´ve spoken to max out at 155mph on the speedo.
    Mine does 166mph (267km/h) on 95 octane fuel !?

    Please tell me why you would buy a car like this?
    If you´re just going to cruise in it - go for the 1.6 and get sum S3 exterior.

  22. #21
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,139
    why would you wabt to do this????? its not what the car is for???? go buy a rear wheel drive bmw or something if you want to do this but it seems daft to me! It takes alsorts i suppose!

  23. #22
    Stockholm

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by steve184
    its not what the car is for????
    Well then, as you seem to know what it´s for. Please enlighten me.
    What is the S3 for, by your opinion?

  24. #23
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockholm
    When I go into a corner a bit too fast with ESP off, the car understeers.
    I wanna be able to control the understeer into oversteer by giving more gas.

    People I´ve spoken to max out at 155mph on the speedo.
    Mine does 166mph (267km/h) on 95 octane fuel !?
    You know the S3 is haldex don't you? How are you expecting to provoke it into oversteer by putting your foot on the accelerator?

    You've had that speed on GPS reading or speedo?

  25. #24
    Stockholm

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by s3rob
    You know the S3 is haldex don't you? How are you expecting to provoke it into oversteer by putting your foot on the accelerator?

    You've had that speed on GPS reading or speedo?
    I´ve learned that the S3 is haldex.
    As well have I learned that I was able to provoke it into oversteer by accelerating when I had put the car in "ESP ERROR- mode".

    I spoke to a Audi technician today and he booked a time for next week.
    He couldn´t give me any explanation on why the ESP/ASR off is missing on the S3 but promised to connect and see if he could change it for me without voiding the warranty.

    267km/h reading was on speedo. I only have GPS in my phone so I´ll
    have to ride with a friend to find out.

  26. #25
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,139
    well it certainly isn't for doing doughnuts! thats what chavs do when they have nicked a sierra cosworth!!!!!

  27. #26
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,488
    since when has this forum been for telling people what people can and can't do with their car?

    I though it was a place for sharing technical discussion?


  28. #27
    Stockholm

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by steve184
    well it certainly isn't for doing doughnuts! thats what chavs do when they have nicked a sierra cosworth!!!!!
    you still didn´t tell me what it´s for - you seem ignorant.

    I don´t want to disable the EDS to do doughnuts. I want to drift.
    People here seem so upset I´m beginning to think that it´s a crime to drift a new car in the UK?

    Thnx for the support madvw!

  29. #28
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    16
    Well if you do manage it, show us the video!

    But if you're into drifting why didn't you get a 350Z or something?

  30. #29
    klauster's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockholm
    you still didn´t tell me what it´s for - you seem ignorant.

    I don´t want to disable the EDS to do doughnuts. I want to drift.
    People here seem so upset I´m beginning to think that it´s a crime to drift a new car in the UK?

    Thnx for the support madvw!
    Drive how you want, and use the car for what you like, if anyone told me to drive different I would say the same, I was only asking why you wanted to turn it off...

    I am also happy that it isnt a straight forward button press on the dash, as lets face it there are a lot of idiots on the road as it is and they have driving aids switched on!

    Enjoy the car!

  31. #30
    james0808's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by steve184
    its not what the car is for???? go buy a rear wheel drive bmw or something if you want to do this
    Thats very good advice.
    Press the DSC switch to off and you can have as much rear drifting fun as you can handle.
    Engines sounds better too.

  32. #31
    siu00adg's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    995
    Quote Originally Posted by james0808
    Thats very good advice.
    Press the DSC switch to off and you can have as much rear drifting fun as you can handle.
    Engines sounds better too.
    The main drawback of that is you might get seen driving a BMW by people you know! I wouldn't want to run that risk!

  33. #32
    klauster's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by siu00adg
    The main drawback of that is you might get seen driving a BMW by people you know! I wouldn't want to run that risk!
    hehe hell NO

  34. #33
    james0808's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by siu00adg
    The main drawback of that is you might get seen driving a BMW by people you know! I wouldn't want to run that risk!
    The only drawback is all the jealous Audi drivers.

  35. #34
    [Dave B]'s Avatar
    Rrrrrrrr-tech

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,987
    "I Keed,I Keed." Very appropriate in this case
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+
    > 205 GTI (90) - Limited Edition Miami Blue with full leather - 1 of only 300 made
    > Clio v6 255 (05) - Lethal Weapon

    View: My S3 diary

  36. #35
    james0808's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky_Junky
    "I Keed,I Keed." Very appropriate in this case
    Not this time.Its the truth,the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

  37. #36
    klauster's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by james0808
    Not this time.Its the truth,the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
    yeah but no but yeah but no but...

  38. #37
    siu00adg's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    995
    I've got a mate who wants to get an M3, no doubt its a cracking car, but the stigtma that comes with an M3 is a huge reason not to get one IMO. They say BMW's are "W**kers cars", I think thats a little unfair for the most part, but I have yet to see an M3 that isn't being driven by a c**t!

    I've convinced him to get an S2000 instead! Not quite as fast, but a better car in most other respects.

  39. #38
    james0808's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by siu00adg
    I've got a mate who wants to get an M3, no doubt its a cracking car, but the stigtma that comes with an M3 is a huge reason not to get one IMO. They say BMW's are "W**kers cars", I think thats a little unfair for the most part, but I have yet to see an M3 that isn't being driven by a c**t!

    I've convinced him to get an S2000 instead! Not quite as fast, but a better car in most other respects.
    I thought that about bmw when i had my audi and some of them are,but if you drive one for a while you will see there are also alot of ****ers,****s twats driving Audi's too.
    All brands have twats driving them.
    S2000 over an M3,your mate must be mad.

  40. #39
    siu00adg's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    995
    Quote Originally Posted by james0808
    I thought that about bmw when i had my audi and some of them are,but if you drive one for a while you will see there are also alot of ****ers,****s twats driving Audi's too.
    All brands have twats driving them.
    S2000 over an M3,your mate must be mad.
    S2000 will never go wrong, better handling, much cheaper (to buy, run and insure - my mate is only 23) and people won't look at you and think C**T!

    I love the S2000, its a proper honest sports car, looks really nice too.

    Its a fair point about other marques having tossers behind the wheel, but for some reason the BMW stigma is by far the worst.
    Last edited by siu00adg; 14th August 2007 at 15:37.

  41. #40
    james0808's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by siu00adg
    S2000 will never go wrong, better handling, much cheaper (to buy, run and insure - my mate is only 23) and people won't look at you and think C**T!

    I love the S2000, its a proper honest sports car, looks really nice too.
    They will look and think Gay hairdresser.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO