140BHP TDI Remaps

Crisis

Reaction score
I have done some heavy searching for the good and the bad names of remaps. Finding clutch issues, flashing problems, detection and the like. Also my own research and found a list of names:

Morego (Star) -173BHP 302lb/ft £410
Jabbasport - 187BHP 325lb/ft £475
AmD - 173BHP 296lb/ft £500
Revo - 185BHP 290lb/ft £500
Superchip - 177BHP 291lb/ft £510
P-Torque - 180BHP 359lb/ft £325
Star - 180BHP £525
Angel Tuning -190BHP 301lb/ft £250
Bluefin - 185BHP 293lb/ft £600

I'm wondering if the lower torque setups would be better as this is what causes clutch damage?

Angel Tuning seem cheap, do home delivery but been told to avoid cause they obviously have less experience etc. Revo and Superchips only feel faster and don't really do that much, have torque spikes and need clutch changes cause of this.

So far in my eyes Bluefin sounds like a good choice. You can remove and add the map yourself with the device supplied and havn't read anything bad about them. Basically once remapped I want it to drive better, not become a handful, not wheel spin all the time and therefore need a new clutch within a year. I also don't want it detectable.

Bluefin seems to tick the right boxes despite the price. Anyone in the same or have been in the same situation and 12 months on or so with a vital view?

Suppose:

Company:
Pros:
Cons:
Duration of Remap:
Would be good for the 2.0 TDI only. Then maybe a good sticky would be in order?

Looking forward to the results!

Im for getting a Revo when I get the chance - never heard or experienced bad reports from them

In my opinion, you get what you pay for! :D

Only heard clutch issues with them. If your running standard clutch it wil prob last the year and thats it.

It all depends how aggressive the map is and how you drive the car. Racing starts are always going to wear the clutch quicker or if the power comes in in one big lump then that won't help either. What you want is a nice smooth power and torque delivbery and you should have no problems. Some of the 140's we've done years ago still have the clutchs going strong.

I have had my Bluefin installed for a year now from when the car was new, i have covered 27000 miles so far with no problems and believe me i have thrashed it everywhere and everyday!! No problems with clutch or turbo etc etc and the car still feels sound!!!

i had revo on my mk4 golf TDI, clutch didnt last long. my mate has a custom code a3 tdi 140 and his clutch has gone and hes only had the car mapped appx 8 months.

Just noticed something. Is Bluefin Superchip? They seem to have the same website design, same layout, same maps.

So

Revo 0
Bluefin 1

The thing you need to look at is the power / torque curves of these maps. The ones I find that are easier to drive / live with are those that provide similar curves to the stock car, except more of it. SOme of those which I think Revo is one gives a huge dollop of Torque really early in the rev range, which means if you are goign to drive hard it may cause problems.

One of the guys oN Tyresmoke had a A3 1.9tdi Q with a remap and had a lot of clutch slip - had it re-remapped by Oettinger and it solved all his problems. THe oettinger map was a lot more linear and less peaky.

SO I would look further than peaks vs cost.

PS - I mapped my last car with Superchips, previous to that have been APS and Oettinger. And Bluefin is a superchips product line. Like other tuners have one click, etc.

What did you think with Superchips? The map which they have shown looks like an amplified version of stock, which sounds like the good characteristic to have to be fair.

Time to fire some emails around for graphs.

superchipsre5.jpg

I like what I have so far - the map process was quick, and the curves for similar cars to mine look very much like OEM with more power / torque. IN the past this has what has influenced my choices, best advise would be to try to drive a few and see which you liek the feel of best.