Possible A3 Purchase

Bob_S

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in the process of looking for a new car and the A3 Sportback has caught my eye. I am looking at the 1.9TDi Special Edition as that meets my car needs perfectly, but I am considering some of the options. A radio upgrade (concert?)from the standard one seems to be sensible, and possibly upgrading to the climate control. What other options would you consider worthwhile?

TIA,

Bob

Hi Bob....

I'll try to help as no-one else has answered yet!

I don't have my new Audi yet but asked questions on a similiar thread recently.

The climate control is a must I reckon! Got it on my present, older A3 and couldn't do without it. I also think an upgrade on the Audio would be good too.

Check this thread out as you may pick up some tips from here......

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=38934

Good luck!

Cheers

My wife and I went to take a closer look at the A3 Sportback on Sunday and we are both so disappointed. One of our must haves for a car is a decent amount of room in the rear as we regularly transport our respective retired parents around. Ease of access and room in the back is of paramount importance. We both found the Sportback lacking (for our needs) in this respect.

To say we were both gutted is an understatement! We both liked the car, but the lack of rear room is one of those requirements for us which is non negotiable. What a shame.:sadlike:

Bob

If you need to transport elderly parents then I would recommend the A6 not the A4 as the rear legroom is cavernous

James

The A4 has more than enough space at the rear. No need for an A6??

I have both the A4 and an A3 and what I would say is that elderly people tend to need space to get their feet and knees into a car without twisting in any way and that whilst the A4 has a lot more space than the A3, the A6 however has a lot more space still and if that is a key driver of the choice then I would still recommend the A6

Thanks for the suggestions, but the A4 is over our budget, unfortunately. I would also prefer to get a car which has the A3 exterior dimensions which have good interior space. We have found that the Golf, Honda Civic and Skoda Octavia do have the amount of rear space that we need. There are others we have yet to try out.

Still gutted about the A3 though:sorry:

I had a Sportback and would say that it had as much as, if not more rear legroom than the my current A4? Were the front seats pushed all the way back?

Yep

Golf Hatchback Rear Knee room 685mm

Audi Sportback Rear Knee room 663mm

Audi 3 dr Rear Knee room 690mm

So a 3 door actually has more legroom but is a lot more impractical for old parents

sat1983 said:
Has the golf really got more legroom in the back???!

Yes, from our perspective. My wife can get into the back seat of the Golf and sit behind me when I have the seat all the way back (necessary as I am a tall ******:)), though her knees are pressing against the seat back. In the A3 she can't even get into the back seat with the drivers seat all the way back, and I have to move it a considerable way forward before she can get in comfortably.

Bob_S said:
Thanks for the suggestions, but the A4 is over our budget, unfortunately. I would also prefer to get a car which has the A3 exterior dimensions which have good interior space. We have found that the Golf, Honda Civic and Skoda Octavia do have the amount of rear space that we need. There are others we have yet to try out.

Still gutted about the A3 though:sorry:
The Merc B-Class would be another option. Similar external dimensions to the A3, but loads of room inside.