Newbie with a A3 model replacement query

mj01

Reaction score
Hi all

Just arrived here from the Briskoda forum and hope someone can help me.

Due to a change in finances, I'm thinking of changing from my Skoda Fabia vRS (Sep 05) which I've enjoyed greatly to an new Audi A3 Sportback TDi 170. Could anyone tell me:

Is the current Audi A3 due to have any major updates or a replacement model - if so what and when?
Are there any plans to install a more powerful diesel engine than the 2.0 litre 170 bhp, such as the 2.7l or 3.0l - if so, what and when?
How is the 170 different from the 140 (apart from the output - obviously!)?

TDI wise, nothing more powerful is planned as of yet...can't imagine they will "V6" it anyhow...
A3 change not for a couple fo years.....

hope this helps

Welcome to the forum.

Audi's plans for their TDI range were the subject of a press release in July. Here is an extract...

"With its latest generation of TDI engines, Audi is now out to prove that this high-tech drive unit still has high potential and a guaranteed future: thanks to the optimised combustion process and the inclusion of an ultra-low emission system, these models comply with the BIN 5 emissions requirements in the US as well as meeting the toughest standards expected to come into force in Europe for the foreseeable future. Audi is kicking off its consistent TDI strategy for 2008 with the three-litre V6 units in the Audi A4 and Audi Q7. Developing 176 kW (240 bhp) and a supreme peak torque of 500 Nm in the Audi A4 and 550 Nm in the Audi Q7, they boast the sublime dynamism combined with relatively low fuel consumption that is the hallmark of any Audi. Additional models will follow in rapid succession, with Audi seeking to extend the new technology to other vehicle classes and power categories by 2010".

Most of the Audi range use in-line engines. The A3 uses the transverse engine, in common with a lot of the VW models. I would assume that the A3 will be the last to get any modified engines.

I had a TDI-140 before my current TDI-170 Sportback. The 170 is smoother and quieter than the 140 although some members have been experiencing some problems which seem to be related to the Diesel Particle Filter (DPF) system fitted to the 170. Personally my car has now done around 9000 miles and I've had no problems at all and the engine runs very sweetly all the time.

mj01 said:
How is the 170 different from the 140 (apart from the output - obviously!)?

Beware.
Look at the thread 'the 170 story so far'.

Beware.
Look at the thread 'the 170 story so far'.

BEWARE - Bowfer hates the A3 full stop.
Do a search of the username Bowfer and you will see what I mean!

h5djr said:
BEWARE - Bowfer hates the A3 full stop.
Do a search of the username Bowfer and you will see what I mean!

So ?
Does that mean the '170 story so far' thread should be ignored ?
If you find my negativity towards A3's annoying,I can assure you I find your "my one is ok" response to any thread equally annoying.
I can't decide if you're lucky,blind to problems,or just making it up,to be honest.

So ?
Does that mean the '170 story so far' thread should be ignored ?

Of course not. I pointed out in my reply that "although some members have been experiencing some problems which seem to be related to the Diesel Particle Filter (DPF) system fitted to the 170".

I also said that I (and I think others members) have had no problems. Which just happens to be true. If anyone wants to come out with me in my 170 then just PM me. I would be more than happy to oblige.

If you think I have been lucky, then so be it. I can assure you that I am far from blind to any problems, but I resent the implication that I am not being honest.

I'm more than happy to discuss any problems with my A3 but at the moment I don't have any. I research and choose my cars very carefully and make sure I know what I'm getting before a place an order. Apart from the salesman I currently deal with, I'm sure I know far more about the car I intend to buy that most salesmen do when I visit a showroom. I have never been disappointed with any of my Audis, A3s or others and they have, so far, all been very very reliable. So were most, although not all, of my VW Golfs.

You just seem to me to have such a very negative attitude towards the A3 because yours was not what you thought it would be and immediately jump on the band wagon of any problems whether they apply to your A3 or not.

We have had this discussion many times and I think we should leave it there and not ruin this 'newbies' thread. If you want to start another thread to continue our 'discussions' then start a new one and only you and I need to look into it.

On a better note... What is you latest idea for your next car?

i have to agree, no problems with mine either not so much as sneezed in the time ie had it - more than i can say about my previous 140 - this one is in a different league really, a hell of a lot smoother. (and no bowfer i aint just agreeing with h5djr - i actually think he has an ignorant attitude sometimes) but i can believe him when he says hes had no probs - neither have i.

I read in auto express that VW are not far from a new Golf (not sure how this works as current shape only started in 04) and the article mentioned two new commonrail diesels - 2.0 with 138bhp and with 168bhp - identical to now, so seems even tho audi will soon move to commonrail, power outputs will be, at the outset anyway, no different. I wonder if they have done this on purpose to keep people buying the present engines and not holding out for the new ones. BMW are soon to realise a dual stage turbo diesel 2.0 with over 200bhp, so i would imagine audi would have to follow that shortly afterwards to keep up with the game, and this is where the commonrail technology will help them.

I am currently experiencing a few problems with my 170TDi A4 - read my posts in the 170 Story So Far....

However, I have to say that the 170 is smoother than the 140 I had in my previous A3 Sportback, but what is interesting to note is that the 140 I currently have in my A4 courtesty car (whilst my 170 is in the garage for the second time), is that it seems much smoother and quieter than the same engine in the Sportback.

I would happily go for a 140TDi as I have had loads of issues with the Diesel Particulate Filter and also beware - the 170 is much less economical than the 140. I could easily manage to get between 52 and 55 mpg on my daily commute in the 140 Sportback, but can not achieve anything greater than about 46 in the 170, even driving like a nun! This is something I also noticed today in the 140 courtesy car - I achieved 53mpg (on the computer) today on a relatively short journey. I doubt I would have got greater than 46 to 47 in my 170. The courtesy car has only done 1500 miles as well, so not properly run in yet either.

If I could choose again, I would go for a 140TDi and then get it remapped to 180+.

h5djr said:
If you think I have been lucky, then so be it. I can assure you that I am far from blind to any problems, but I resent the implication that I am not being honest.

On a better note... What is you latest idea for your next car?

I apologise for the 'dishonest' statement,that was a bit harsh.
Although you'll have to forgive me for finding it hard to believe there is such a thing as a 100% fault free A3 !

With regard to what next for me,it will almost certainly be an Alfa 159.
I'd like the new 'Ti' spec,which includes 19" alloys and special trim for only £750 extra,but it's not available in the 1.9 diesel engine.
So I may push the boat out and go for the 2.4 diesel with 200bhp.

I apologise for the 'dishonest' statement,that was a bit harsh.
Although you'll have to forgive me for finding it hard to believe there is such a thing as a 100% fault free A3 !

Thanks for that Bowfer. Much appreciated.

Certianly I'm not saying the A3 is 100% fault free. You've only got to read some of the posts on this forum to see that. I must have been lucky because, apart from very minor items which have been fixed with a quick visit to the dealer, I have had no problems with my last 2 A3 8Ps. The only minor problem I had with my prvious 140 was the ignition key would not always come out of the switch. A technician took it apart, looked at it and said 'Ah - wrong type of grease!'. He took out at small pin that acts as a locking device to prevent you taking the keys out unless the DSG lever is in Park. He smeared it with some 'different' grease and it never gave any problems after that. That was the only 'problem' I had with that car. So not 100% perfect but very close.

When do you hope to be able to change to the new Alfa? Have you driven one yet?

h5djr said:
When do you hope to be able to change to the new Alfa? Have you driven one yet?

Trying to get rid of me ? ;-)
I've driven a couple,as a mate used to sell them for Arnold Clark in Aberdeen.
They aren't allowed to sell them any more though,only service and repair them.
The nearest official sales dealer is now Perth,some 90 miles away.
If that was also the nearest service/repair dealer,I'd have to think again !
Should be ordering in the next couple of months.
My car is due to go back end of March,but the MD likes to have replacement cars in place before the old ones go back.
Saves hiring etc.

Thanks for all your replies and the info - very helpful. Didn't mean to stir things up; glad every one is friends again!

bowfer said:
I'd like the new 'Ti' spec,which includes 19" alloys and special trim for only £750 extra..

Sounds similar to the 'S-Line' spec to me...isn't this the person that profoundly dis-likes things like this and brands them 'bling'? :uhm:

Funky_Junky said:
Sounds similar to the 'S-Line' spec to me...isn't this the person that profoundly dis-likes things like this and brands them 'bling'? :uhm:

Bling was never really the right word to use,but it did the job.
My problem is with the 'aggressive' styling Audi are going for (especially with the 'grrrrrrrill'),which the all too common addition of flared arches/black windows/aftermarket exhausts accentuates.
Only this morning,someone's asking for advice on lowering an S3 and adding black windows.
The term I would use to sum up Audis latest styling is 'drug dealer chic'.
An Alfa 159 is not an aggressively styled car,which is why it appeals.
There is a chance Alfa owners might go down the black window/milltek route,but I hope not.