Valuation please!

sat1983

Reaction score
I'm thinking of changing my car every 2 years from now on- and since the A3 was my first new car I was wondering how much I'm likely to get for it...From Audi

Its on a 56 plate- reckon it'll have 27k max on the clock. Should be in mint condition (when i mean mint I mean mint, **touch wood**)
It's an SE spec in liquid blue- Would buy another A3, 2.0T maybe...
What roughly do Audi give you??

your best selling private - you will get about 2- 2.5k more than trade in - trade in after two years you looking at about 55-60% of original OTR price. work that out on your calculator if you dare - but have the tissues ready!

Did pay £18k for it- but i'd say a 2.0 TDI is about 20k new?? What did you guys pay for yours? So that would mean Audi would give me 12k then. How generous!
Trouble is with selling something this new privately is that it can take time and be quite risky- I'd rather the peace of mind. Or is easier than I've been led to believe?

Check out www.theaa.com as they use the Glass's Guide database. Should be pretty accurate.

I usually trade mine in every two years, and have always found I get way over the private sale value if P/Xing for another car at the same dealer. They effectively subsidise the P/X by discounting the new car.

mfspen said:
Check out www.theaa.com as they use the Glass's Guide database. Should be pretty accurate.

I usually trade mine in every two years, and have always found I get way over the private sale value if P/Xing for another car at the same dealer. They effectively subsidise the P/X by discounting the new car.

Have you got an example? What did you get for your old p/x?

My last trade-in was a bit unusual, in that I traded in after just a few months, having been unhappy with diesel. The trade-in offered against my 2.0T was effectively the full original price of the car, less VAT and delivery.

On previous years, the allowance has been in the range £500 to £2k above the recommended maximum private resale value of my car, depending on what I was buying. The dealer was effectively discounting the new car by 5 to 10%.

but part-exing at a dealer is NEVER going to reap you the kind of deal to be had by doing the leg-work of selling privately - and i mean NEVER. (Yes you are right it is a little hassle, i agree) but it depends on what you want - a good deal or an easy life... i've always favoured the good deal, as i'm not a lazy person and know that if you put thelegwork in you get more for your money - you simply cannot have an easy life AND the best deal.

my last car was 2.5 years old - i went in the dealer for part-ex on a brand new car - was offered under £12k - 2 months later sold it privately for £15650 - and the guy was chuffed. I also got £25% off my new car at my dealer (due to some previous issues) - bought a cheap car for runabout while i was waiting for new car to be delivered which took a while cos i chose to wait for new plate in march.

Although I think a lot depends on the history you have had with the dealer. In my case, I'm on my 6th Audi, and they have all been bought from the same dealer.

At every P/X, the deal I have been offered has been virtually as good as selling privately, then getting a discount on the new car, but with zero hassle.

no - wrong - as i have just said - you may think you are getting a good deal but you are not - they won't give it you both ways - u'll either get a good deal on the new car or a god part-ex price (same either way) but you won't get both, however i agree that zero hassle is attractive to a lot of people who are willing to pay for that service.

I agree that you can probably get a slightly better deal by selling a car yourself, but it does depend on how much extra you get as to whether it's worth all the hassle.

My last car change was from an A3 8P 3-door 2.0TDI-140 SE DSG to an A3 8P Sportback 2.0TDI-170 SE DSG.

I usually reckon on getting around 50% of my car's original value when I trade-in after 3 years. The 3-door cost me a total of £22,884.99 back in 2004. When I traded-in I was given £12,250 (53.5%). This time I also negotiated a 9.5% discount on the new car with the help of some internet quotes together with Gap Insurance down from £499 to £225, again by presenting some internet quotes to my dealer. So a little work beforehand can pay dividends.

To me this worked out as a very satisfactory deal and with absolutely no hassle. My new car even had the personal plates on it ready for me to collect, so on that day the dealer had two cars on his forecourt with the same registration number.

So after 2 years i reckon my A3 will be worth around the £14k mark?

steve184 said:
no - wrong - as i have just said - you may think you are getting a good deal but you are not - they won't give it you both ways - u'll either get a good deal on the new car or a god part-ex price (same either way) but you won't get both, however i agree that zero hassle is attractive to a lot of people who are willing to pay for that service.
That hasn't been my experience.

Each time I have traded in, the PX offered has been substantially above the maximum realistic private sale price. When I have investigated on discounts, the available discount has been little more (few £100 max) than the excess PX offered. So the net result is virtually the same.

However, I have found that this only applies if you are going back to the same dealer who sold you the car, and you are buying another one from them. If you switch dealers, or worse still, switch make of car, you will be much worse off. I once considered switching to BMW, but the PX offered was absolutely rock-bottom - I would have been almost £3k worse off !

Although I think a lot depends on the history you have had with the dealer. In my case, I'm on my 6th Audi, and they have all been bought from the same dealer.

Using the same dealer does seem to make a difference. I'm on my 6th A3 and they have all being purchased through the same salesman at the same dealer.

Course it makes a difference,they're getting another x amount of years servicing (which is where the money is) out of you.
They're not doing it out of goodwill,or because they like you.
Just business.
I wouldn't ever consider trading in,I'm also convinced it's not the best way to do a deal.
Take the last deal I did,which was selling the wife's Honda HRV and buying a new Clio.
I priced the HRV at almost £1000 over book and the first person who saw it bought it without haggling a dime off.
I then walked into the local Renault dealer and negotiated an as-good-as-internet price for the Clio,with 3 years free servicing thrown in.
No chance of that sort of deal if I'd wanted to trade in.

Mind you,with the amount of used A3's on Autotrader alone,I would be a bit worried about a private sale.

bowfer said:
Course it makes a difference,they're getting another x amount of years servicing (which is where the money is) out of you....
Not in my case. I change every 2 years, so only ever have 1 service in that time, and a 'short' <£200 service at that.

Maybe I just have a particularly benevolent dealer !

That's a bit crap. I had an awful time with the salesman who sold me the A3. Then again I guess that this time next time he'll have left?!