Rear Badge

haids

Reaction score
I have noticed that some Audis with the 2.0 T FSI engine have got a Red "T" badge on the rear boot lid next to the "2.0" and some have a silver "T". Mine has a silver one and yet it's an S-line. Does anyone know why this is. I think the red one looks better.

Maybe the ones with 2.0T are Quattro

Quattro's are badged quattro,aren't they ?
VW use red T's to signify power output,I think.
Red T means it's the 'hot' version.

EDIT- there's something on another Audi forum that states it's purely down to model year.
2006 models had the red T.
2007 models have the silver T.
Simple as that !

(or the other way around,can't remember)

My 2006 2.0T has a red T, other peoples cars picked up the same time as mine started to come through with either colour T. The power outputs are the same for both colours although like Bowfer said earlier 1.8T units used the colour to signify higher output engines.

Bowfer is right, it does depend on model year. The parts catalogue lists two part numbers for the 2.0T badge.

One covers models from 04/04 >05/07 - 8H0 853 743 H and there is a second part number 8P0 853 743 G which covers models from 06/07 onwards.

Unfortunately the catalogue does not say which one has the red T.

When I said the T is ones with Quattro, of course I knew it had the Quattro badge too but just thought you get the Quattro badge, and because of that you get the T too. Just clearing that up so I don't look like a tool lol.

According to several sites,red nail varnish works well !
Personally,I'd be digging out the old airfix enamel and brush.

Mine came with a silver T, so I promptly bought a red one from VAGParts.

Not sure why they are different though, but I am sure all the 07's I have seen have had silver T's....

Historically Audi and VW have done this when they have several varients of the same engien in a range - Golf, Bora and PAssat all had various red badges on TDI models - REd I, Red DI and it came from different outputs on the 1.9 unit. Audi have doen it in the past as well with 1.8T engines 163 with all silver, 190 with red I.

If I remember rightly Audi had a badge for a while which was a silver T with a red slash to indicate the higher performance - could look quite unique if its still in teh same font.

Saw a 2.0FSI today, I wonder if its any different to the 2.0FSI

I have an 06 (56) 2.0T with a silver T. Or is mine actually a 07 model. I'm still a bit confued by the whole MY etc thingy.

Nevermind.

I have an 06 (56) 2.0T with a silver T. Or is mine actually a 07 model. I'm still a bit confued by the whole MY etc thingy.

The best way to check on the Model Year of your particular car is to look at the VIN number:

WAUZZZ 8P 3 7A123456

In this example VIN Number...
The W indicates the car was made in Germany (original West Germany)hence the W
The AU indicates the manuafacturer was Audi
the ZZZ and the 3 are just filler numbers and a check digit
the 8P indicates the Audi Model type
the 7 indicates it Model Year 2007
The A indicates it was made at the Ingolstadt plant
a B would indicate it was made at the Brussels plant
and the 123456 is the serial chassis number.

Audi change the VIN numbers and the production model year on 1 June each year.

well it'll be a 07 then as I ordered it after 1st june and picked up october.

I have an 05 sportback and mine has a red T, didnt realise you could get silver as well... :/ my old TDI was all in silver.

I have just taken delivery of my new MY08 2.0 TFSI and it has a silver T.

Someone I knew bought an A4 2.0T back in Feb 05 and it has a RED T. Newer models have a silver one.