Tyre Life

swhurst

Reaction score
Could anyone please tell me the expected front and rear tyre life on a 2007 A3 sportback 2.0tdi 170 sline front wheel drive, I'm about to buy the car and am wondering whether or not to take the fixed maintenance package. I do 25K miles pa mainly on motorways and I dont class myself as an aggresive driver but I do have the occasional moment of fast driving.
Thanks for the help

Depends on what tyres it comes with I've got pirelli zero rossos on mine and I think the fronts will be US before 10K miles, rears I dont know they dont look too bad.Just hope your car comes with contis or mitchelins as they will last far longer than pirellis.

My 140bhp S-line FWD goes through fronts in about 13K miles.
My driving is the opposite of yours though.
It's all fast country road stuff.

My 170 Tdi S-Line went through its original set of Conti's on the front at 12k with 75-80% motorway use. The wear is based on the car never going driven above 80 on the motorway, but I occasionaly have a spirited cross country dash. The rears were about 3mm off the tread markers at the time.

I changed all 4 for Michelin PS2's which after 4k still look like new and have hardly worn at all. It appears that the Conti's were particularly soft.

I recently changed my P-Zeros for goodyears after 17k miles.

I do 30k per year, mainly on motorways and i use Michelin Pilot Primacy. I was recommended these by a friend who has exactly the same car who does more mileage, both cars are 2.0 tdi 140's.

We both have returned in excess of 30k miles per front pair and I personally got 32k out of my last set.

I have fitted them again, but i think they may have changed them now.

I'm in a similar situation to you dkelly. My car is still on the factory fitted P-Zero Rosso's. Car has covered 22k now and I reckon I've got another 8-10k left in the fronts.

My best record for tyres was my last car - BMW 320d. Had the car for two years and covered 70k miles. The car came from the factory Conti Sport Contacts. The rears needed changing at 46k miles and the fronts were still on the factory fitted tyres at 70k miles!!!

Thanks for all the answers, it would seem michelins are the way to go. Ive priced ps2s at £130 each fitted balanced etc, so I'll hopefully get 30k out of them, just need to decide on whether or not to take out fixed service and maintenance, i'll start a new thread asking for peoples thoughts.

KRL said:
I'm in a similar situation to you dkelly. My car is still on the factory fitted P-Zero Rosso's. Car has covered 22k now and I reckon I've got another 8-10k left in the fronts.

My best record for tyres was my last car - BMW 320d. Had the car for two years and covered 70k miles. The car came from the factory Conti Sport Contacts. The rears needed changing at 46k miles and the fronts were still on the factory fitted tyres at 70k miles!!!

The accelerator pedal is the one on the right hand side.

Just thought you should know this as you obviously have difficulty find it :jump:

Only kidding. I know it's possible to drive quickly without destroying tyres.