Fecking wipers !!!

Amchlolor

Reaction score
Right,I'm at my wits end with the wipers.
Specifically,the way some utter plug at Audi thought it would be a good idea for them to stop when the car stops,even when the switch is at 'continuous wipe'.
Anyone know if this can be switched off using VAGCOM ???

Hi Bowfer,

My A3's wipers dont stop but go intermittent when the car is stationary, what year is yours bowfer im in an 05 s-line (if that makes a difference)

steve

mrsteve said:
Hi Bowfer,

My A3's wipers dont stop but go intermittent when the car is stationary, what year is yours bowfer im in an 05 s-line (if that makes a difference)

steve

That's what I mean.
They go to intermittent,so they stop by any other name.
If I have my wipers on permanent,I want them to stay permanent.
If I want intermittent,I'll switch to intermittent.
It really is that simple.

So can the auto-intermittent-when-stopped function be turned off ???

Do you leave yours in D when at lights or go into neutral?

i know you shouldnt need to but maybe try the opposite, I seem to use both depending on how bothered about holding my foot on the brake i am...

Never use N.
It'll be in D or 'manual' mode.
I have to turn right across a dual carriageway every morning and every night.
Having the wipers 'stall' on me in driving rain,just because I've had to come to a temporary halt,is the last thing I need !
I just want the wipers to keep going....pleeeeease....sob....

Not sure if it can be disabled via VAGCOM but if, once stopped, you flick the stalk down to intermittent and back up to "permanent" they will then keep going until the next time you come to a halt. Not a solution but at least a workaround.

Cheers for that Vertigo,I wasn't aware of that specific workaround.
I just generally go ballistic on the stalk,whilst swearing a lot.
I'm surprised it hasn't snapped yet.
Christ,can you imagine how I'd be with a dodgy DPF ??!! ;-)

Vertigo1 - As your car is fitted with the auto-wipers the same as mine, do you know if your wipers actually switch to intermitent when you stop when it's raining. I think mine just keep running as normal, but that may be that the rain sensor still knows it's raining and therefore keeps the wipers running.

I only know that workaround from my previous car, which didn't have auto wipers and thus I had the same problem as bowfer - albeit only a major issue when it was raining heavily :)

As for the new car, I'm not sure whether it factors whether you're stopped into the equation or not, or whether it just relies on the fact that there'll be less rain falling on the screen.

From what I've seen with my auto-wipers, when you stop if its still raining hard enough for continuous wipers, then they will carry on at full speed rather than going intermitent. It certainly seems to carry on wiping at a 'suitable' speed to keep the screen clear even when stopped.

It's not every car that does this though,is it ?
Am I going to have to insist on auto-wipers next time,whatever I go for ?
It's not some daft EU regulation or something is it ?
Mind you,the wife's 06 Clio doesn't do it,so I'm guessing not.

Bowfer - perhaps you'll have to insist on a test drive when it's pouring with rain to make sure - I doubt whether the salesman will know!

h5djr said:
Bowfer - perhaps you'll have to insist on a test drive when it's pouring with rain to make sure - I doubt whether the salesman will know!

But it will still do it even if it's dry.
You haven't thought that through.
;-)

To be fair, BMW have been doing wipers which switch to intermittent when you stop for at least 14 years.

Another thing to bear in mind is that they don't simply switch to intermittent when you stop but rather switch down a speed so, if it's raining very hard, if you flick them to super-fast speed whilst moving then, when you come to a halt, they'll reduce to normal speed rather than intermittent.

But it will still do it even if it's dry.
You haven't thought that through.

It depends whether the car is fitted with rain sensing wipers or not. No good trying the rain sensing wipers on a dry day! - unless of course you get someone to keep throwing buckets of water at the screen.

Vertigo1 said:
BMW have been doing wipers which switch to intermittent when you stop for at least 14 years

The longest it takes me to navigate a busy junction is 40 seconds.

:p

Vertigo1 said:
To be fair, BMW have been doing wipers which switch to intermittent when you stop for at least 14 years.

I always thought that was a nice touch to switch down a level...