Just ordered my bluefin!

Johnnyb

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Atfer weeks of deciding what remap to go for, for my new S3, i have opted for the bluefin, which should arrive monday or tuesday.

If anyone has got a bluefin can you quickly run me through the process? you get the handset, plug it into your car, it gives you a code which you e-mail to superchips they e-mail you a new code back which you type into the handset? Is that it?

Also does it tell you that it has worked?

Thanks

nearly, they email you back and you plug the bluefin into the PC, it downloads the new code, you then plug it into the car. It will take about 24 hours for them to email you thou, so don't get too excited! ;)

You will know if its worked!

anyone see the S3 in golf+ this month at the awesome gti RR day was supposed to have 300bhp but only made 257bhp so was actually down on standard

Hey there,

When i spoke to superchips they said they would e-mail me within a few hours, probably just saying it for the sell? Anyway i cant wait for it, starting to get used to the standard power now and sick of STI's up my **** all the time, so it will be nice to have just over 300bhp, they rekon it takes it to 310bhp but i cant really see that unless im mistaken

Not sure it's worth over 500 quid for only 16% more power nor how much real-world difference it'll make but hey, it's your money :)

Ask all on here who have had it done if they notice a difference :D

Its not all about total HP either.

Hello,

With a 42hp gain im sure i will notice a difference, my cousin has got the old s3 which was 225 standard which was chipped to about 262hp and i drove it before and after and definately felt the difference.

Most people on here rave about the bluefin so thats why i went for it, if its **** there is a 7 day refund option

Vertigo1 said:
Not sure it's worth over 500 quid for only 16% more power nor how much real-world difference it'll make but hey, it's your money :)

Have you tried the remap before?!?!?!?!

A remap is not all about the power increase, it is more about the more flexibility of the engine with everyday driving and ironing out the flat spots.

You do notice the extra power and torque and at the end of the day, the ‘power increase’ sells the product but you will notice that the engine doesn’t need to be rev’d as much increasing the flexibility of the engine during everyday use.

I rarely thrash my car now as the torque comes in so much lower down in the rev range that I find myself changing up a gear earlier and not having to rev it to get it shifting.

The process for the Blufin for future buyers is as follows:

Order the unit from superchips.

Once you get the unit plug it into your car – it downloads the data from your ECU and stores it on the BluFin unit.

Install the Blufin software on your pc, connect the Blufin to the pc via USB cable.

The software will download the data from the Blufin unit and send it to superchips.

You will then get an email and text from Superchips to tell you that the new data is ready to be downloaded.

Stick the Blufin unit back into your pc, the software will download the new calibration file onto the unit.

Once done connect the unit into the car, the new calibration file will be uploaded into the ECU which takes around 20mins and once its done then you are ready to rock!

Vertigo1 said:

For only 16% increase in power???So what you expecting from a remap?

Its £500 for a 1.6 A2 remap - that gives about 10% if you are very lucky, but people still do it because it makes the car a whole lot better to drive.

The guys at Superchip will respond quickly if you need it. I couldn't download the map to my home Pc as NTL at that time wouldn't allow it for some reason. So rang the guys at Superchip who very kindly allowed me to upload at a customer site, I then rang them and they made the map available within 1 hour for me to download with the intention of uploading to the car when home. My patience got the better of me and I stopped at the motorway services and loaded the new map whilst having a coffee. The ride home was excellent and the servise form Superchip was superb. Drivability is what its all about and on the 2.0 TDi DSG the increase in torque is amazing. Enjoy!

d3fy said:
nearly, they email you back and you plug the bluefin into the PC, it downloads the new code, you then plug it into the car. It will take about 24 hours for them to email you thou, so don't get too excited! ;)

They e-mailed the settings back to me with-in the hour, just depends how busy their sever is. I did mine, 1st thing in the morning.

Thanks for the replies fellas,

I have had cars chipped in the past and agree that it does make a difference to the overall driveability, so i think £540 is not too bad increase the cars potential, has anyone got a new S3 and had it bluefined?

Thanks

Thanks mate,

Cant ****** wait til tomorrow now

Just wait until you're waiting to overtake and just floor it in 3rd. Or if you're lazy, 4th :)

I actually wouldnt mind getting it on a rolling road after it has been done, as you hear these stories of cars pushing out way less or sometimes slightly more power than thought.

I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow if they e-mail quickly enough that is.

Thanks

Personally I wouldn't bother getting hung up about power figures. As long as it FEELS better/faster/smoother to drive then thats all that matters :)

The parcel company tried delivering it today when i wasnt in so im going to the depot tonight at 7 to pick it up, so it looks like i will have to wait til tomorrow, will let you know how it goes

Bluefin update!!!

Hello, got the bluefin last night and finished installing it a few hours ago, my first thought when i drove it was that it didnt feel much different, but i had only put my foot down a bit in second, after 20 mins of driving the car i realised there was a difference, it does feel faster and more responsive at low revs, the turbo lag has been improved and actually makes the turbo louder.

My only qualm is that i dont beleive the car is pushing out 310bhp as they claim, i might contact them and ask them if the 42bhp increase is guaranteed every time or if it can sometimes be less.

It might be that im just being cynical, the car does feel awesome now but im comparing it to the old shape S3 that i had chipped by APR, it was 225hp standard and the remap took it to 262, so again that was around a 40bhp increase but it just felt like a bigger difference when it was done compared to this one.

Anyway i dont want to put anyone off bluefin i would highly recommend it, maybe i need to give it a few days before i start judging it.

On eissue you can get is that the output will be the same pretty much for everyone (with a few exceptions) - but what you start with can vary wildly.

I remember my TT before it was remaped the Before Dyno showed 242 (225 engine), and other guys at the same time were getting from 218 - 240.

So obviously the guy with 218 still got iro 265 and a much bigger difference than I did.

Iam hoping to arrange a dyno run for mien sometime soon - but upto now every plot I had seen for superchips was iro 307bhp.

Hey Shao,

I e-mailed superchips and they basically said the same thing, that my car may have had a higher standard power and that if i wanted to go down there they would have a look at it.

With regards to what you said about the TT if the remap gives for example around 40bhp, wouldnt have your TT gone to 280bhp? the same with me, imagine if my S3 was around 280bhp standard, the bluefin remap gives 42bhp so wouldnt it take it to 320ish?

Im not exactly an expert on this so i may be talking nonsense

Thanks

Johnnyb said:
Im not exactly an expert on this so i may be talking nonsense

Thanks

Erm maybe!

Although the before remap on the TT was higher than normal the remap doesn't just add 40bhp, it'd just take it to the same level as it would be from a normal output.

Also on the S3 again it's not just a case of adding 40, it's just down to the limits of the engine, so even if you had a 290bhp S3 a remap would still only take it to 308 approx output.

Thanks for the reply,

I did say to superchips, as long as its 300bhp i will be happy, so im guessing it will be around that mark.

After driving around it all day i must say i didnt really give it a chance in my first post, it is actually very quick and very smooth, 6th gear is even amazing, and low gears seriously pin you back in the seat.

Thanks

I actually almost replied earlier to say that you should give it time. I got mine done and drove home and got stuck in slow moving traffic but I wasn't impressed really. Then after a couple of days I realised how good it actually was, mostly in low revs. Then driving an S3 the other week I noticed a lot that mine pulls a lot better low down than it did.

Hello,

Just drove the car again, and it is now starting to feel like a 300bhp car, i had an E46 M3 before this and i know some of you may be surprised but the chipped S3 actually feels slightly quicker (maybe its because of the turbo pull) had to get rid of the M3 because of the tax i was paying on it (company car) and i actually think the S3 is a better all round car.

Cheers

Johnnyb said:
Hey Shao,
With regards to what you said about the TT if the remap gives for example around 40bhp, wouldnt have your TT gone to 280bhp? the same with me, imagine if my S3 was around 280bhp standard, the bluefin remap gives 42bhp so wouldnt it take it to 320ish?

As said - the remap is designed so you will get the same finished product pretty much - so it doesnt gurantee everyone 40 additional bhp it guarentees approx 300 bhp. So if you car was already putting out 280 - then you might have only got a 20bhp gain, compared to other peoples 40, but you would all have circa 300 at the end of the work.

I think might car may have been just over the standard 261hp, its amazing how much difference you see when you give the remap a bit of time, i love it now its frightenenly quick, anyone with an S3 should definately invest in one

This is why I always make the trip to Superchips HQ in Bucks, then you gat a before and after RR thrown in so you can actuate the gain but to be fair the proof is in the driving and agree you should always give it a few days to really test it before making a judgement especially on what is a powerful car to begin with - the differences will feel more subtle IMO.

I'm at Bucks tomorrow having the wifes 2.0tdi DSG remapped with my previous bluefin so I'll post and let you Know how I get on.....

Thanks mate,

I live in Leeds so going down the bucks is not very easy for me, let me know how you get on