Which cars did you consider before buying the S3?

CJP80

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering what people drove or considered before buying their S3s? I had a good drive in a new 350Z today, and I have to say I missed the aural experience when I climbed back into my S3 afterword.

I bought the S3 without considering anything else as I felt it was the best perfromance/value for money at the time. Apart from the lack of noise, I'm very happy with the S3 however.

It would also be interesting to see what cars people owned prior to buying the S3.

Cheers,

C

TVR T350c and the Maserati 3200GT (both 2nd hand).

But, I decided I'd be sensible and go with a new S3.

Previous car Mazda rx8, enjoyed every minute. I test drove a bmw 335i coupe, but far too bulky for my liking. Im now glad I went for an S3.

EVO IX or Subaru STI, but i went for the S3 because is more stylish, has a better built quality and is more grown up.

My ex car was an Alfa Romeo 147.

Did consider a golf gti edition 30 and a tt ,but liked the s3 best so had to have one.
Have owned these cars since passed my test in September 1993,
New Nissan micra 1.0 LX Sep 1993-Jan 1995
New Nissan micra 1.3 LX Jan 1995-Mar 1996
New Vauxhall astra 1.6 GLS Mar 1996-Aug 1997
New Vauxhall corsa 1.5 TD GLS Aug 1997-Oct 1998
New Renault clio RN Grande Oct 1998-Oct 1999
New Volkswagen golf GTTDI [did keep this car for three years as I loved it. Oct 1999-Sep 2002
New Audi A2 1.4TDI SE Sept 2002-Sept 2003
New Bmw 320 Sport Convertible Sept 2003-Sept 2004
New Volkswagen golf GTTDI Sept 2004-March 2005
New Volvo S60 D5 Se March 2005-March 2006
New Ford focus 2.5 ST March 2006-June 2007

And now my new Audi S3 which I picked up from my local dealer on 4th June and loving it.Have only done 600 miles as have been busy working on my house.

I owned a MK5 GTI, loved every minute of it! It was sadly written off last month..lift cable snapped while an exhaust was being fitted and that was it.

S3 is an awesome upgrade!

Considered an R32, Evo IX, S4, 350Z and Focus ST before getting the S3.. :)

Previous hack was a 225 LCR.

-Sal- :cool:

Test drove
Golf GTI
R32
Nissan 350Z (was tempted)
Audi TT 3.2 & 2.0

Then drove the S3 and got my cheque book out !:hubbahubba:

I really needed a semi-practical car as my Wife has an S2000, so choices for me were :

Evo IX
Impreza STI
Focus ST
Astra VXR
Megane R26
Mazda MPS
130i / 3xx
Leon Cupra
R32 / GTi
Seconhand M3

I think the S3 is a good blend of performance, quality, running costs and depreciation. Many of the above would depreciate much more and cost more in fuel / servicing and things like the Ford / Vauxhall / Seat / Mazda just don't seem special enough.

I'm kind of at that stage were all-out peformance is not the most important thing, I want a nice, comfortable car with all the toys!

My list is pretty much liek Mike above - tried everythign you could consider to be comparable and felt teh S3 was the best all round bet.

Previous car was a Clio 1.2 RN Grande.

s3mike said:
I'm kind of at that stage were all-out peformance is not the most important thing, I want a nice, comfortable car with all the toys!

Sorry,but that statement makes no sense at all.
If comfort and toys are your bag,an S3 is hardly the top choice !
You're paying for the performance.
So if you don't want the performance,you've bought the wrong car,surely ?
If you want comfort and toys,you could have bought any number of comfier and better equipped cars for the money.

next time i change - think i'm gonna leave the derv behind and go back to petrol for a bit (although even this is subject to change if theres a 220bhp diesel around then!) i'm contemplating a used M3, or maybe S3 if i can afford it) (buying) or leasing something like a VXR or a SEAT Cupra, Focus ST (although might be an RS out by then so maybe that could be a contender for purchase too.)

Or i might take the comfy route and get a 5 series with a 3.0d or even a 535d (if can get one reasonable then with a few miles)

I meant I want a car with peformance but also some comfort and toys.

An Evo would be quicker but probably not as comfortable or as nice to be in. I still wanted a faster car than my current Cupra R but not at the expense of refinement - if that makes any sense!

As I haven't got the car yet I can't tell you if it was the right / wrong choice! I'm going of Autocar / Evo reviews and the test drive which seem to like it a lot.

I also considered getting another MK5 Gti fully loaded but this wasn't an awful lot cheaper than the S3 plus the GTI is being replaced next year.

Loved the new TT but needed a decent rear seat for occasional use so this also ruled out the 350z which I love but the fact they are in bed with renault also did'nt help.

I plan to keep the S3 a couple of years then maybe consider a 335D coupe but who knows .......

Spin140 said:
I also considered getting another MK5 Gti fully loaded but this wasn't an awful lot cheaper than the S3

It's not comparing apples with apples though,is it.
Comparing a fully loaded car with a basic one.
Either compare the base models' prices,or compare them both spec'd to the hilt.

Works mini cooper s 210 bhp
Mini Cooper S (non BMW upgrade 230bhp)
06 a3 2.0tfsi Quattro Sline (only 200 bhp lol)

Previously BMW M3 Silverstone Edition ....... love the car, hate the dealers!

bowfer said:
Sorry,but that statement makes no sense at all.
If comfort and toys are your bag,an S3 is hardly the top choice !
You're paying for the performance.
So if you don't want the performance,you've bought the wrong car,surely ?
If you want comfort and toys,you could have bought any number of comfier and better equipped cars for the money.

Just arguing for the sake of it?

It was pretty obvious what he meant to anyone not trying to come up with some smart *** remark before he had finished reading...

Mk V GTI and the R32. I tried to like the R32 for nearly a year with numerous trips to the dealers to "refresh my memory"!
I had a 20 min drive in an S3 the day after the demo had arrived at the dealers and a 2 hour drive the following day. On returning the car I placed my order.
prt

Likewise R32. Gave it a great deal of thought and came close, but just couldn't bring myself to buy one. Quality of interior, fuel consumption and £400 per year road tax put me off in the end.

Not sure why, but for me the S3 is much more desirable than the alternatives.

Maybe it is the brand, or the fact that I would have had the old S3 if I could afford it at the time.

I think Audi have definately shrugged off the 'old man' image and turned into a sporting brand.

From what I have read they plan to overtake BMW and Merc in sales in the next few years and, judging by sales figures, they are on the way.

I'm looking forward to having the S3 for a while and then maybe checking out the new R4 mid-engined roadster which I'm hoping will be a mini R8.

normski said:
Just arguing for the sake of it?

It was pretty obvious what he meant to anyone not trying to come up with some smart *** remark before he had finished reading...

Point out where I should have continued reading after his statement that he prefers comfort to performance.

s3mike said:
From what I have read they plan to overtake BMW and Merc in sales in the next few years and, judging by sales figures, they are on the way.

2 months of the financial year Audi in the UK outsold BMW and Merc combined......... :eek: Thats some serious sales.

Shao_khan said:
2 months of the financial year Audi in the UK outsold BMW and Merc combined......... :eek: Thats some serious sales.

Definitely,but the downside is they are common as hell.
S3's might not be specifically,but Audis in general are everywhere.
I can see four Audis without leaving my sofa,for goodness sake.
Where's the exclusivity in that ?

how many audis can you see from your sofa when your not drunk?

I dont see vast of amounts of Audi's round here. Yes a few but no more than any other brand. I do live in Cumbria though!

treblesykes said:
how many audis can you see from your sofa when your not drunk?

I should have said,I live in a lighthouse ;-)

By any chance,do they break down sales by region ?
Aberdeen must be one of their most successful areas,coz they really are hyper-common up here.
Someone said the Aberdeen dealer had sold a daft number of RS8's too.
Something like 22,I think.

I tried the follwoing before finally choosing the S3:

Nissan 350Z
BMW Z4M Coupe
VW Golf R32
Mazda RX8

Mike

R32 only. but tax and petrol costs although brilliant drive.

Evo & Impreza certainly up there on performance but lack else where.
ST and VXR. Cheap n cheerful aint quality. Need a baseball cap to drive.

No S3 for the full package. Still exclusive and dynamite stealth.