Angel Eyes - Would It Suit The A3?

emzino

Reaction score
I came across this video made in hometown Turkey with a guy who has a 3.2 A3. It's just a short video but it shows step by step progress very breifly on how they fitted Angel Eyes.

Now I know it's very BMW esque but it looked quite nice! http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/emzino/?action=view&current=9c97459c.flv

Now I got Xenons so i'll probably have the inner lights angeled and leave it at that but I want the white light going around instead of yellow.

How's that sound?

Good find Emzino,

I personally like the look of it. They're always advertised on ebay and always wondered what they'd actually look like, whether or not they would suit the A3. And seeing it I may actually look at getting them myself. And I agree I would get the higher kelvin version to suit xenon

The HIDs or the angel eyes?
Given the angel eyes are a straight swap I should think not.
As for the HIDs, they work as replacement H7(?) bulbs don't they and I'm guessing the leveling system works independantly?

If you fit any kind of Xenon headlights, either factory fitted or aftermarket, the law requires automatic levelling and headlamp washers to be fitted as well.

As a replacement for normal halogen headlights the Angle Eyes units look good and straight forward to replace.

h5djr said:
If you fit any kind of Xenon headlights, either factory fitted or aftermarket, the law requires automatic levelling and headlamp washers to be fitted as well.

So hows that work when you fit Xenon bulbs from somewhere like http://www.hids4u.co.uk/

Von Maximo said:
Good find Emzino,

I personally like the look of it. They're always advertised on ebay and always wondered what they'd actually look like, whether or not they would suit the A3. And seeing it I may actually look at getting them myself. And I agree I would get the higher kelvin version to suit xenon

Thanks guys, knew you'd like it :friends: Btw the music is called: Axwell (feat. Steve Edwards) - Watch The Sunrise. It's like a summer dance track, quite good when the suns out heh.

Anyway, so the white angel light instead of yellow is actually called Kelvin, definitely gonna have to get those! I was actually thinking, why not get LED's to go all the way around instead of the Kelvin light but I guess that'd trip the DIS.
I'm gonna get Tuning Werkes to quote me on how much it'd roughly cost to get it done.

So hows that work when you fit Xenon bulbs from somewhere like http://www.hids4u.co.uk/

If you fit these units and do not also fit automatic levelling and headlamps washers then you car would be illegal to drive on the road in the UK and would certainly fail an MOT test.

This particular item has been discussed at length on this forum in the past and there are various posts with statements from the Department of Transport and others about the issue.

For example

"It is not acceptable to convert a headlight approved for use with a halogen filament bulb to use a Xenon (HID) gas discharge bulb. The only acceptable way of converting is to replace the headlight for one approved for gas discharge bulbs. Such headlamps will be approved to UNECE Regulation 98 and 'E' marked. If headlamps approved to UNECE Regulation 98 are retro-fitted, they must be self-levelling (as part of the headlamp system) or via self-levelling suspension and headlamp washers must be installed. Under the Road Traffic Act 1988, it is an offence to fit or use parts which are not legal"

If you wish to read more try this as a starting point:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=30478&highlight=xenon+headlights

emzino said:
Anyway, so the white angel light instead of yellow is actually called Kelvin, definitely gonna have to get those! I was actually thinking, why not get LED's to go all the way around instead of the Kelvin light but I guess that'd trip the DIS.
I'm gonna get Tuning Werkes to quote me on how much it'd roughly cost to get it done.

Kelvin is a basic unit of thermodynamic temperature (colour temperature) used to measure the whiteness of the light output. The higher the number is, the whiter the light is. When over 5000K the light begins to turn to blue as daylight.

kelvinchart.gif

In general the brightest HID's are around 6500k.

h5djr said:
If you fit these units and do not also fit automatic levelling and headlamps washers then you car would be illegal to drive on the road in the UK and would certainly fail an MOT test.

I've retrofitted HID's to my A3 without headlight washer system. Took it to audi not so long back for an MOT and it passed no problem. Guess they must of thought 1 out of two aint bad! :) But then again if it didn't pass I'd probably revert back to the original lighting to make it pass then re install the HID.

So hang on, how can these companies do business if what you're saying is correct i.e. fitting their HID kits is basically illegal?

So hang on, how can these companies do business if what you're saying is correct i.e. fitting their HID kits is basically illegal?

Simply, they trade on peoples ignorance of the law. It is not illegal to sell them, but it is illegal to fit them to a car and use it on the public road. They could always use the defence - Well we thought they would be fitting the auto-levelling and headlamp washers as well. They are not driving the car on the road so they don't really care.

There is no problem with so called 'xenon bulbs' it's the full HID Xenon gas discharge units that are illegal without the auto-levelling and headlamp washers.

maars said:

In the same way that some w@nkers fit illeagal number plates, coloured washer jets, neons etc. It's not illeagal to sell them, it is illeagal to use them.

from the thread title I would have said no way, but watching the whole thing it actually looks good! Probably not cheap tho.

Cooky

I'm in on this. These Angels look great, my cousin recently had a wicked set for his TT. I agree though, want them white/blue rather than yellow!!

According to the web-site selling the normal halogen 'angle-eyes' kits using H7 bulbs the cost seems to be around £160.00 a pair, plus another £17.00 for 'xenon white' H7 bulbs plus £15.00 carriage.

These kits would be perfectly legal as they are only using normal H7 halogen bulbs so there would be no requirement for auto-levelling or headlamp washers. These are only required when you change to Xenon HID units.

Are you referring to the ebay link for the angel eyes, or another website?

Re. HIDs, I asked hids4u.co.uk outright about legalities & levelling/washers and they politely avoided the questions!

I'm now feeling guilty about my retrofitted HID system and looking to get the proper headlight/projector assembly of ebay as it's cheaper than new from Audi. There seems to be a few on there that are from the EU. Obviously If I source from outside the UK they'll be set up for driving on the silly side of the road. Does anyone know how to get around this?

I'm now feeling guilty about my retrofitted HID system and looking to get the proper headlight/projector assembly of ebay as it's cheaper than new from Audi. There seems to be a few on there that are from the EU. Obviously If I source from outside the UK they'll be set up for driving on the silly side of the road. Does anyone know how to get around this?

I have just had the same problem but in reverse. Having my Bi-Xenon headlights changed for driving on holiday in France, Germany and Austria where as you say they drive on the 'wrong' side of the road. Or is it us?

Anyway, I had to visit my dealer and they connected my car to their diagnostic computer system and amended the lights. Basically what happens is a shield drops within the headlight itself to block out the part of the beam that shines along the kerb when on dip.

The problem would be if you bought a set of Left-hand drive headlights you would have to have this done and you would permanently loose this very useful part of the beam. You would also get a warning symbol and a beep from the DIS every time you turned on the ignition to say the light were set in this way. Not too bad and a useful reminder to get them changed back for a holiday, but a bit annoying for all the time.

And even then you still have to fit auto-levelling and headlamp washers to be legal.

Perhaps it would be better to just use uprated H7 bulbs. My current A3 is the first I've had with Xenons. Some of the 50% plus bulbs I've used in my previous A3 have been very good and much better than the normal bulbs.

been reading this post with interest .
would the projector lights with the standard h7 bulb offer a better light output and beam pattern than the standard dire halogen headlights even with phillips 50% bulbs fitted ?

Well, I got a quote from a localish tuning company and this is there price:

£199 ex VAT = £235 inc VAT. 3/3.5hours labour @ £45 ex VAT per hour.

Sounds expensive but these are the Kelvin white angels.