Volks AutosSky Insurance
    5th Gear

Status

Angel Eyes - Would It Suit The A3?

I came across this video made in hometown Turkey with a guy who has a 3.2 A3. It's just a short video but it shows step by step progress very breifly on how they fitted Angel Eyes.

Now I know it's very BMW esque but it looked quite nice! http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...t=9c97459c.flv

Now I got Xenons so i'll probably have the inner lights angeled and leave it at that but I want the white light going around instead of yellow.

How's that sound?
    Last edited by emzino; 26th July 2007 at 14:22.
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

2. # ADS
    ADS

The Damned

Status
    Good find Emzino,

I personally like the look of it. They're always advertised on ebay and always wondered what they'd actually look like, whether or not they would suit the A3. And seeing it I may actually look at getting them myself. And I agree I would get the higher kelvin version to suit xenon

Full speed ahead

Status
    They look very good! This kit looks quite smart...
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Angel-Eyes-Hea...QQcmdZViewItem

For those of us without OEM xenons would it be feasible to fit the angel eyes and a HID kit?

The Damned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by maars
    They look very good! This kit looks quite smart...
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Angel-Eyes-Hea...QQcmdZViewItem

For those of us without OEM xenons would it be feasible to fit the angel eyes and a HID kit?
    Would this affect the automatic light leveling system? (Or whatever it's technical name is)

Full speed ahead

Status
    The HIDs or the angel eyes?
    Given the angel eyes are a straight swap I should think not.
    As for the HIDs, they work as replacement H7(?) bulbs don't they and I'm guessing the leveling system works independantly?

If you fit any kind of Xenon headlights, either factory fitted or aftermarket, the law requires automatic levelling and headlamp washers to be fitted as well.

As a replacement for normal halogen headlights the Angle Eyes units look good and straight forward to replace.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Full speed ahead

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    If you fit any kind of Xenon headlights, either factory fitted or aftermarket, the law requires automatic levelling and headlamp washers to be fitted as well.
    So hows that work when you fit Xenon bulbs from somewhere like http://www.hids4u.co.uk/

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Maximo
    Good find Emzino,

I personally like the look of it. They're always advertised on ebay and always wondered what they'd actually look like, whether or not they would suit the A3. And seeing it I may actually look at getting them myself. And I agree I would get the higher kelvin version to suit xenon
    Thanks guys, knew you'd like it Btw the music is called: Axwell (feat. Steve Edwards) - Watch The Sunrise. It's like a summer dance track, quite good when the suns out heh.

Anyway, so the white angel light instead of yellow is actually called Kelvin, definitely gonna have to get those! I was actually thinking, why not get LED's to go all the way around instead of the Kelvin light but I guess that'd trip the DIS.
    I'm gonna get Tuning Werkes to quote me on how much it'd roughly cost to get it done.
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

6th Gear

Status
    So hows that work when you fit Xenon bulbs from somewhere like http://www.hids4u.co.uk/
    Because they are just bulbs and not a proper Xenon system that uses very high voltage to ignite the gas in the lamp enclosure.
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

If you fit these units and do not also fit automatic levelling and headlamps washers then you car would be illegal to drive on the road in the UK and would certainly fail an MOT test.

This particular item has been discussed at length on this forum in the past and there are various posts with statements from the Department of Transport and others about the issue.

For example

"It is not acceptable to convert a headlight approved for use with a halogen filament bulb to use a Xenon (HID) gas discharge bulb. The only acceptable way of converting is to replace the headlight for one approved for gas discharge bulbs. Such headlamps will be approved to UNECE Regulation 98 and 'E' marked. If headlamps approved to UNECE Regulation 98 are retro-fitted, they must be self-levelling (as part of the headlamp system) or via self-levelling suspension and headlamp washers must be installed. Under the Road Traffic Act 1988, it is an offence to fit or use parts which are not legal"

If you wish to read more try this as a starting point:

Retrofitted OEM Xenons
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Big Ron

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by emzino
    How's that sound?
    sounds ****e

Smart Roadster 03
    Ford Sportka 05

The Damned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by emzino
    Anyway, so the white angel light instead of yellow is actually called Kelvin, definitely gonna have to get those! I was actually thinking, why not get LED's to go all the way around instead of the Kelvin light but I guess that'd trip the DIS.
    I'm gonna get Tuning Werkes to quote me on how much it'd roughly cost to get it done.
    Kelvin is a basic unit of thermodynamic temperature (colour temperature) used to measure the whiteness of the light output. The higher the number is, the whiter the light is. When over 5000K the light begins to turn to blue as daylight.

In general the brightest HID's are around 6500k.

The Damned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    If you fit these units and do not also fit automatic levelling and headlamps washers then you car would be illegal to drive on the road in the UK and would certainly fail an MOT test.
    I've retrofitted HID's to my A3 without headlight washer system. Took it to audi not so long back for an MOT and it passed no problem. Guess they must of thought 1 out of two aint bad! But then again if it didn't pass I'd probably revert back to the original lighting to make it pass then re install the HID.

Full speed ahead

Status
    So hang on, how can these companies do business if what you're saying is correct i.e. fitting their HID kits is basically illegal?

The Damned

Status
    Interesting article from Autoexpress on these convertion kits

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/videos/...enon_test.html

So hang on, how can these companies do business if what you're saying is correct i.e. fitting their HID kits is basically illegal?
    Simply, they trade on peoples ignorance of the law. It is not illegal to sell them, but it is illegal to fit them to a car and use it on the public road. They could always use the defence - Well we thought they would be fitting the auto-levelling and headlamp washers as well. They are not driving the car on the road so they don't really care.

There is no problem with so called 'xenon bulbs' it's the full HID Xenon gas discharge units that are illegal without the auto-levelling and headlamp washers.
    Dave R (h5djr)

Lord of War

Status
    In the same way that some w@nkers fit illeagal number plates, coloured washer jets, neons etc. It's not illeagal to sell them, it is illeagal to use them.

I was the STIG.

Status
    from the thread title I would have said no way, but watching the whole thing it actually looks good! Probably not cheap tho.

Cooky

A3 2.0 tdi sport (2005), Xenons, Bose, Leather/Alcantara, 19" replica RS6 alloys, Rieger front bumper/side skirts, Eibach 30mm springs, Caratere Rear Spoiler, Silver wing mirrors, powerflow twin exhaust tips, Alpine iDA-X001 iPod Ready headunit, amp and 1000 watt sub....

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    I'm in on this. These Angels look great, my cousin recently had a wicked set for his TT. I agree though, want them white/blue rather than yellow!!

According to the web-site selling the normal halogen 'angle-eyes' kits using H7 bulbs the cost seems to be around 160.00 a pair, plus another 17.00 for 'xenon white' H7 bulbs plus 15.00 carriage.

These kits would be perfectly legal as they are only using normal H7 halogen bulbs so there would be no requirement for auto-levelling or headlamp washers. These are only required when you change to Xenon HID units.
    Dave R (h5djr)

Full speed ahead

Status
    Are you referring to the ebay link for the angel eyes, or another website?

Re. HIDs, I asked hids4u.co.uk outright about legalities & levelling/washers and they politely avoided the questions!

The Damned

Status
    I'm now feeling guilty about my retrofitted HID system and looking to get the proper headlight/projector assembly of ebay as it's cheaper than new from Audi. There seems to be a few on there that are from the EU. Obviously If I source from outside the UK they'll be set up for driving on the silly side of the road. Does anyone know how to get around this?

I'm now feeling guilty about my retrofitted HID system and looking to get the proper headlight/projector assembly of ebay as it's cheaper than new from Audi. There seems to be a few on there that are from the EU. Obviously If I source from outside the UK they'll be set up for driving on the silly side of the road. Does anyone know how to get around this?
    I have just had the same problem but in reverse. Having my Bi-Xenon headlights changed for driving on holiday in France, Germany and Austria where as you say they drive on the 'wrong' side of the road. Or is it us?

Anyway, I had to visit my dealer and they connected my car to their diagnostic computer system and amended the lights. Basically what happens is a shield drops within the headlight itself to block out the part of the beam that shines along the kerb when on dip.

The problem would be if you bought a set of Left-hand drive headlights you would have to have this done and you would permanently loose this very useful part of the beam. You would also get a warning symbol and a beep from the DIS every time you turned on the ignition to say the light were set in this way. Not too bad and a useful reminder to get them changed back for a holiday, but a bit annoying for all the time.

And even then you still have to fit auto-levelling and headlamp washers to be legal.

Perhaps it would be better to just use uprated H7 bulbs. My current A3 is the first I've had with Xenons. Some of the 50% plus bulbs I've used in my previous A3 have been very good and much better than the normal bulbs.
    Dave R (h5djr)

1st Gear

Status
    been reading this post with interest .
    would the projector lights with the standard h7 bulb offer a better light output and beam pattern than the standard dire halogen headlights even with phillips 50% bulbs fitted ?

5th Gear

Status
    Well, I got a quote from a localish tuning company and this is there price:

199 ex VAT = 235 inc VAT. 3/3.5hours labour @ 45 ex VAT per hour.

Sounds expensive but these are the Kelvin white angels.

Gone but not forgotten

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Have you got any pictures emzino???? Of the white 1s?