Tyres - Again....

alfiejts

Reaction score
Right - The MOT station tell me they're going to fail my first MOT because there's a chunk out of the tread of my tyre that shows the fibre carcase, even though the missing chunk it isn't as deep as the grooves next to it....

So I need to choose 4 new 225 40 18 tyres.

I'm on P Zero Rossos which seem OK, but Conti Sportcontact get rave reviews in the Auto Express tyre tests, so I'm tempted by those.
Vredestein get rave reviews in their test too, but they're difficult to find.

I think I'm down to choosing between Toyo Proxes -R at £112 or Conti 2s at £120 per corner all in.
I could get Michelin's for about £130 or so but they don't get the same reports as the Contis and they're more money...

I don't just want a semi-slick tarmac racer - I want a good all rounder that's good on cold tarmac in the wet & dry, wears OK and is quiet on the motorway - which is where the Contis get their brownie points as equally good in the rain or dry....

Has anyone any recommendations, experience or better ideas?

Do a search for tyres in here there are loads of threads with links to reviews etc. My personal favorite is the Eagle F1 GSD3 but they have been replaced as the premium Goodyear tyre by the F1 assymetric. Thei is a pretty fair review although its getting on a bit now most tyres are still current.

I have no complaints about the contis since having them installed on Friday! :icon_thumright:

Contis are ok but for my style of driving I can't knock the Eagle F1's for grip in both wet and dry. I'll be getting them as soon as the factory fit Contis wear down!

The Conti Sportscontacts that were fitted to my car from new only last 12k miles most of which were motorway miles. Their performance in the wet really d8idn't inspire confidence at all.

I replaced them with Michelin PS2's which I've found to be far quieter and so much better in the wet. Wear wise at 4.5k on they still look new and look like they will cover alot more than 12k.

For those on a budget or,like me,planning on replacing their car in the forseeable future,Dunlop Sportmaxxes are on a par with F1's,dry or wet.
They're about £100 a pop(ish).
The one thing they offer over the F1's and the Conti SC2's is a comfier ride.
(flexier sidewall,I assume).

Have just gone for four new Conti SC3s (the newer model replacing teh SC2) at £116 per corner from tyreshopper.co.uk.

I'll see how they go.....