EM TuningSky Insurance
    2nd Gear

Status

Tyres - Again....

Right - The MOT station tell me they're going to fail my first MOT because there's a chunk out of the tread of my tyre that shows the fibre carcase, even though the missing chunk it isn't as deep as the grooves next to it....

So I need to choose 4 new 225 40 18 tyres.

I'm on P Zero Rossos which seem OK, but Conti Sportcontact get rave reviews in the Auto Express tyre tests, so I'm tempted by those.
    Vredestein get rave reviews in their test too, but they're difficult to find.

I think I'm down to choosing between Toyo Proxes -R at 112 or Conti 2s at 120 per corner all in.
    I could get Michelin's for about 130 or so but they don't get the same reports as the Contis and they're more money...

I don't just want a semi-slick tarmac racer - I want a good all rounder that's good on cold tarmac in the wet & dry, wears OK and is quiet on the motorway - which is where the Contis get their brownie points as equally good in the rain or dry....

Has anyone any recommendations, experience or better ideas?
    2012 White A5 Coupe TFSi Black Edition
    (Was 2004 A3 2.0 TDi S-Line DSG, owned from 2005 to 2012....)

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Do a search for tyres in here there are loads of threads with links to reviews etc. My personal favorite is the Eagle F1 GSD3 but they have been replaced as the premium Goodyear tyre by the F1 assymetric. Thei is a pretty fair review although its getting on a bit now most tyres are still current.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

5th Gear

Status
    Toyos are soft and will not last
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

6th Gear

Status
    Get the contis excellent tyres and they last
    2007 Sportback S Line Tdi 170 Avus,Bose,Multi function steering wheel, Electric Lumbar support,Front centre armrest,
    Storage pack,Through load system,Folding mirrors,Non smoking pack

2009 BMW K1300S, ABS, ASC,OBC, heated grips

Top Gear

Status
    I have no complaints about the contis since having them installed on Friday!
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport in Akoya Silver - with... Black Alcantara, Black Headlining, Aluminium Inlay's, Interior Light Pack, Storage & Luggage Pack, Front Armrest, Electronic Climate Control, Non-smoking Pack, First Aid Kit & Warning Triangle, Electric Sunroof, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Sony CDX-GT930UI with USB iPod Connector & BOSE, 17" '5 Spoke Star' Alloys, Light & Rain Sensors, Xenons, Vortex Rear Spoiler, GTI Aluminium Pedals & Black Brake Callipers!

6th Gear

Status
    Contis are ok but for my style of driving I can't knock the Eagle F1's for grip in both wet and dry. I'll be getting them as soon as the factory fit Contis wear down!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

1st Gear

Status
    http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...=m4b0s134p6214

cheap and grip like *hit to a blanket.
    A3-SLINE 2.0 TDI DSG , phantom black,full leather, cruise control, heated seats, RNS-E audi navigation, bose, auto dipping wing mirrors, interior light pack, auto rain sensors and dipping mirror.

1st Gear

Status
    The Conti Sportscontacts that were fitted to my car from new only last 12k miles most of which were motorway miles. Their performance in the wet really d8idn't inspire confidence at all.

I replaced them with Michelin PS2's which I've found to be far quieter and so much better in the wet. Wear wise at 4.5k on they still look new and look like they will cover alot more than 12k.

6th Gear

Status
    For those on a budget or,like me,planning on replacing their car in the forseeable future,Dunlop Sportmaxxes are on a par with F1's,dry or wet.
    They're about £100 a pop(ish).
    The one thing they offer over the F1's and the Conti SC2's is a comfier ride.
    (flexier sidewall,I assume).
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

2nd Gear

Status
    Have just gone for four new Conti SC3s (the newer model replacing teh SC2) at £116 per corner from tyreshopper.co.uk.

I'll see how they go.....
    2012 White A5 Coupe TFSi Black Edition
    (Was 2004 A3 2.0 TDi S-Line DSG, owned from 2005 to 2012....)