12v Power socket cover?

s3mike

Reaction score
I ordered my car without the non-smoking pack as I think the ashtray looks nicer and is more useful than just having a gap but this means I get a cigarette lighter in the centre console. I noticed that with the non-smoking pack you get a 12v socket with neat little flip-up cover, does anyone know if this could be retro-fitted?

The cover is only a small part which I guess could be purchased from audi. The real question is whether the centre console is the same and the socket cover could be fitted or whether it would be more involved.

Just wondering if anyone had done this?

Cant see that there will be much to it but not sure I'd bother, although I did exactly the same thing with a MK5 GTi, fitting the bits was simple - the hard part was trying to get anyone in parts to understand what I actually wanted !

The flap that covers the socket isn't the most sturdy I've come across but I guess it saves you storing your cigar lighter in the ashtray which always seems inevitable :)

Just had a quick look at the ETKA parts catalogue....

The lighter trim and the 12v socket trim are different parts and the lid is an integral part of the socket trim. Both are quite simply to remove as they are only clipped into place. I removed the 12v socket trim on my previous A3 to be able to connect a 12v feed from the back of the 12v socket wiring to power my GPS receiver.

The part I think you will need is part no 8P0 863 387 A which comes in various colours. I am assuming your trim is black which has the code 6PS. If it's grey trim it's EC3.

Looks like you would then need to remove the existing trim, remove the lighter from the trim and put it into the new 12v socket trim and replace it back into the console.

I did a similar thing. I ordered my car WITH the smoking pack, because I wanted the 12v socket. What the dealer never explained was, when you order non-smoking pack, yep the ash-tray is gone, but you get the flip-over 12v socket!

Can anyone post up pics of the ETKA diagram? I don't have the latest version of ETKA, need to buy it (and Elsawin) of Ebay at some stage.

Cheers

AL

no-smoking pack is gonna make a car easier to sell tho - since its guaranteed its never been smoked in, whereas with ashtray even if its never been used, a potential buy would not 'know for sure' its never been used

steve184 said:
no-smoking pack is gonna make a car easier to sell tho - since its guaranteed its never been smoked in, whereas with ashtray even if its never been used, a potential buy would not 'know for sure' its never been used

Cant agree with this - what if the smokers flicks his ash out of the window , lost count of the amount of times I've followed drivers who throw their tip out the window, really bugs me- who do they think picks it up ?!?

Speed cameras don't pick this up do they ?!?

Its a novel view point Steve184.

But in general, you can tell when a car has been smoked in, and you don't need to look for an ash-tray! :) They simply stink!

How people can smoke in cars at all is beyond me, especially nice, quality motors, and brand new ones.

AL_B said:
Dave R,

Can't download the Centre Console PDF, is the link ok?

Cheers

AL

Not just you. I can't view that one either. I think it got corrupted somewhere along the line.

I've re-posted the Centre Console link and it seems to be working ok now.

Sorry about that.

Centre console

Thanks Dave,

And no need to apologise, after all, you're providing us with a service.

I'm sure I speak for many on here when I say thank you for all your help posting diagrams etc. Always very useful.