Remap of 170TDi DPF Engine

JED

Reaction score
Hi All

I have had two quotes back from companies claiming that they can successfully remap the 170 DPF engine. Has anybody actually had this done yet? I was just wondering if this could stop the tractor noise and also improve on economy?

Cheers.

jed its been done many times on here, my brother inlaw has had the superchips ecu upgrade its a different car the torque makes you smile, really has turned it in to a quick car.

That's good to know - thanks for that - has economy improved at all?

Plenty of people have had their 140TDi's remapped, but Iv'e not read of any forum member with a 170TDi having a remap!

A good few of us have been asking about them and have read about several companies having troubles with the DPF in regards to remapping.

I seem to remember reading that one company has released a remap but the gains were quite modest and not as high as might be expected.

Initially you are unlikely to see your mpg increase as you enjoy the extra power but over the longterm with restraint some have reported a modest gain of 1-2mpg due to more power & torque at lower revs, in my own experience of remapped 2.0tdi's I tended to average 1-2 mpg less than standard as i couldn't resist the extra power but well worth it for the power gains and smile factor :)

Ref the Tractor noise a remap wont help you there I'm afraid :(

The more I read about the DPF problem,with Audis and other cars,the more it points to it being a fault in the software that controls the DPF.
That's what Mazda determined with their similar problem.
I'd be wary about remapping a 170 if the standard software is inherently flawed already.
What if Audi issue a recall to rejig your software to cure the DPF problem ?
Would that automatically wipe your remap ?
You might not even know they're going to do it.
It might just get done at a service.
Mazda issued whole new ECU's !

Superchips did a map for the 170 which, on their test Leon, was producing 213bhp! Although they had no problems with their own car, some customers experienced some issues (wonder if they were people who had the tractor problem too!) and thus they withdrew the remap for quite a while.

I notice it's now back on their site but the power gains claimed are a bit more modest now, under 200bhp.

Superchips aren't offering Bluefin for the 170 though (yet).
It always confuses me that.
If they offer the Superchips version (i.e.,drive to a superchips dealer),then shouldn't it be automatic to offer it on Bluefin at the same time ?
Maybe some cars need the added attention of a dealer,whereas some cars will be ok with the 'generic' remap of bluefin,I dunno.

Vertigo1 said:
Superchips did a map for the 170 which, on their test Leon, was producing 213bhp! Although they had no problems with their own car, some customers experienced some issues (wonder if they were people who had the tractor problem too!) and thus they withdrew the remap for quite a while.

I notice it's now back on their site but the power gains claimed are a bit more modest now, under 200bhp.

Superchips ran their own car with a higher output than was offered for general use as a test mule with as you say no problems whatsoever, I chatted with their Tech director the last time I was in and he confirmed the issue affects sporadic cars and is linked to temp and the DPF, I think if in any doubt the best thing to do would be to talk to them at HQ beforehand, if the map is replaced by your dealer with a reflash at least you have the bluefin handset so its easy to reset via S/chips FOC. I myself would have no reservation mapping the 140 but would need to be reassured before commencing with the 170, even though you will be fully warranted against any eventuality it would still be a royal pain in the ***.

maars said:
Superchips have relaunched their 170DPF chip for £599, and quote the following improvements:-

Original bhp : 170
Original nm : 350
BHP increase : 27
NM gain : 77
Lb/Ft gain : 57
http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/vag20tdi170.pdf

Seems a lot of money to me!

When you ring them, tell them you are a member of Audi Sport and the GTIMk (something ) forums and you will get a discount

Spin140 said:
Superchips ran their own car with a higher output than was offered for general use as a test mule
Possibly, but the figures were on their website at 213bhp for a while and are now a good 15bhp lower than that, which suggests to me that they've "toned it down" a bit.

speaking to JBS yesterday, custom code are now offering a remap for the 170tdi which they are confident will be problem free :)

d3fy said:
When you ring them, tell them you are a member of Audi Sport and the GTIMk (something ) forums and you will get a discount

Nice one!

Had a very helpful email from Angel Tuning who say to remap the 170 is no problem at all. Gains should be up to 204bhp and 424NM torque :)

Who are Angel Tuning? I always wonder about how much knowledge and research these companies put into their conversions. At least with Superchips you know they'll have done a 'proper job' on it.

Like i've said before, Oettinger have done this along time ago and they haven't encountered any problems (as far as I know). Drop them an e-mail

or theres the tuning box route - original tuning box quot 204PS and 400+ NM for 500 euros - approx £350 - that sounds like a bargain to me and thats removable - plus there is a comment on their site which says their products are 100% DPF/FAP compatible