Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    1st Gear

Status

Parking Sensors Did not work!

Hi guys, reveresed the A3 out of the garage, nothing new there, parking sensors beeping away while in the garage again as normal... my mums fabia vRS was at the end of the drive, once i got the back end of the A3 out of the garage the sensors stop.. keep going think to myself... mmm sensors should of started beeping again... got out and I was touching the Fabia! Not impressed So cars going into garage.. earliest appointment with a car is the 10th of august... moral of the story dont 100% trust the sensors!!
    Gone - A3 2.0 TDI (140) Sportback Sport

Now - BMW f10 520d

2. # ADS
    ADS

is a retronaut

Status
    Whilst at the VW garage a few weeks ago a friend and I had to move out of the way whilst a woman in a VW Eos reversed into a parking bay. Once in she put the roof up but the boot scraped against the fence post behind. I told her this and she said it hadn't, I said it had as I just watched it happen! She replied it shouldn't because the parking sensors allow room for the boot to come out. Obviously not!

She was only taking it for a test drive!
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

1st Gear

Status
    Thats not good!

Having said that a mate in a MKV golf with Parking sensors fail on him too... mayb its a vag problem!

Thankfully no damage to either the audi or fabia for us!
    Gone - A3 2.0 TDI (140) Sportback Sport

Now - BMW f10 520d

5th Gear

Status
    It happened to me once and bumped into a car behind me in a car park, nothing happened though. What I found was, just take it out of reverese and put it back in again, the sensors will work then.
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

3rd Gear

Status
    I did something sort of similar once, was reversing a customers car thinking "The valeting bay is getting close, the sensors will start beeping in a moment... I'm sure... must not be as close as I think..." BUMP!! Fortunately the valeting bay was only a big (room for three cars) shed and the outer walls were wood, unfortunately all the nails holding the outer walls on were beneath the level of the wood except where I reversed into it!! It gouged a nice little hole in, thankfully, just the bumper trim insert which the touch-up guy we used, who just happened to be onsite, managed to sort out in record time as the customer was waiting to pick up his car! All credit to the touch up guy who did an absolute perfect job!

Turns out that the car didn't even have reverse sensors! I'd got that used to cars having sensors (especially highly specced models like that one) that I took it for granted that it had them! Oops!

6th Gear

Status
    What's the legal position for incidental damage caused by faulty sensors ?
    Surely if you can prove the sensors are faulty you can go after compensation for any damage that ensues ????
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    What's the legal position for incidental damage caused by faulty sensors ?
    Surely if you can prove the sensors are faulty you can go after compensation for any damage that ensues ????
    Think you'll find there's a disclaimer in the owner's handbook stating that the sensors are not foolproof, which is just as well for Audi given the number of owners who are fully paid-up fools.....
    I wouldn't be so paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me......

Spook's Silv3r Ghost - with Recaro bucket seats - is here!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook
    Think you'll find there's a disclaimer in the owner's handbook stating that the sensors are not foolproof, which is just as well for Audi given the number of owners who are fully paid-up fools.....
    Common sense should dictate that a warning light comes up on the dash to tell you if they fail.
    They'll tell you if a bulb fails,but the first you know of a parking sensor failure is when you bump into something ?
    That sucks,big time !
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 25th July 2007 at 16:24.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

Third Gear

Status
    So, the moral of the story is dont waste money on speccing parking sensors because they are crap and can't be trusted. IMO.

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

Learning to fly 3D

Status
    Common sense should dictate that you trust your eyes more that your ears when in reverse gear. Parking sensors are a parking aid, from the manual "The Parking aid cannot replace the full concentration of the driver. The driver is always responsible for the safety during parking and other manoeures. Always check the area behind the vehicle."

If you know there is a somthing behind you, you think the sensors should have picked it up, but you they haven't, and you still reverse into it then you only have yourself to blame.

I hate moving from a car with it to a car without it, and I tend to rely on it to much, which I should not.

Chris.

PS This post means I will back into something next week ;-)

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    Common sense should dictate that a warning light comes up on the dash to tell you if they fail.
    They'll tell you if a bulb fails,but the first you know of a parking sensor failure is when you bump into something ?
    That sucks,big time !
    According to the handbook, no warning light but a warning tone if there is a parking sensor fault when reverse gear is engaged.

Sounds to me like Bowfer is setting-up a multi-million dollar lawsuit in the USA....
    I wouldn't be so paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me......

Spook's Silv3r Ghost - with Recaro bucket seats - is here!

Neutral

Status
    I got the sensors retrofitted to my Sportback, kinda wish I hadn't bothered (but as the dealer offered them for free as a sweetener on the deal, I wasn't going to pass them up).

They are already at the 'intermittent' stage, whereby sometimes you put it into reverse and get a continuous tone no matter how far away from an object you are.

Really annoyed that I have to book the car in so soon after receiving it, but I guess either they are blocked (unlikely) or just faulty.

To be honest, I hardly use them anyway and rely purely on sight. They seem pretty poor as the 'tone' is not graduated enough to give you a good idea how close you are, perhaps though, this is part of the fault with them.

G-man

6th Gear

Status
    Mine have never failed on 2 cars, they must be kept very clean mind!

Only rely on them for a 2nd opinion on reversing into spaces where there is a wall behind etc but like people have said I still look and judge my driving according to me and use the sensor as a extra guide.

Anyone that does not bother concentrating or looking where they are going is a fool!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by g-man
    They are already at the 'intermittent' stage, whereby sometimes you put it into reverse and get a continuous tone no matter how far away from an object you are.

Really annoyed that I have to book the car in so soon after receiving it, but I guess either they are blocked (unlikely) or just faulty.
    A continuous tone from the rear sensors can be caused by rain on them. If you have one going down (intermittently) switch the ignition on (without the engine running of course!), put the car into reverse and ever-so-gently touch each sensor in turn. If they are working correctly you should feel a very slight, but steady pulse. If you feel nothing then you have a duff one or alternatively, if you feel nothing on all of them you have sausage fingers!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by markwiggy
    So, the moral of the story is dont waste money on speccing parking sensors because they are crap and can't be trusted. IMO.

Mark
    Never had any problems, nor any bumps. Must just be me, but I think the visibility in the A3 is awful, the worse car I have ever driven. Possibly on par with a Toyota Hi-Ace
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by d3fy
    Must just be me, but I think the visibility in the A3 is awful, the worse car I have ever driven. Possibly on par with a Toyota Hi-Ace
    Civic type-r (previous model) is far worse than the A3
    8P2 S3

5th Gear

Status
    But do you think the A3 is bad or is it just me?
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

is a retronaut

Status
    Nothing to write home about really. It's a hatchback so you know where the boot ends lol
    8P2 S3

VAGOwners.co.uk

Status
    It's not great to be honest. Certainly not the worst I've driven as far as rear visibility goes, but definately not great.
    Audi A3 S-Line 2.0TDi DSG in Dolphin Grey - Click here for pics
    Leather Seats - Symphony III - Full Leather - Light/Rain Sensors - Cruise Control - Storage/Luggage Packs - Electric folding/auto diming mirrors - Parking Sensors - Armrest