Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Intermitant problems

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Continuous problems

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

motorbikez

Reaction score
Lets have a poll on the subject of problems with tractor noises and related dpf problem.I personally have suffered no problems but it is concerning that a lot of other people have had and are still having problems.If everyone who has a 170 engine completes poll it could be sent to audi uk as fairly representative of the 170 engine.

NO problems

Intermitant problems

Continuous problems

I was trying to compile such a list but via email and PMs as registrations would be needed for any list to be forwarded to Audi UK and I think many people would not want to post such details on an open forum.

That said, Audi UK have shown little interest in the list so far. It could well prove useful should we get the press involved but permission will be sought from each person before that is done. My list currently stands at 13 people, not including myself, across Audi, VW and Skoda brands.

As the poll stands at present Audi UK should be interested if 10% of their customers have a persistant problem and 20% have an intermitant problem as a satisfied customer buys again and a dissatisfied customer doesn't.

I agree that Audi should be interested but how many of the total of 170 owners actually look at this forum. We may not be a very representative sample. I wonder what the total of 170s sold in the UK is?

h5djr said:
I agree that Audi should be interested but how many of the total of 170 owners actually look at this forum. We may not be a very representative sample. I wonder what the total of 170s sold in the UK is?

It's perfectly fair to treat this and other forums as microcosms of 170 ownership in the UK,so the number of disgruntled owners is worrying.

One cannot assume that the 'silent majority' are happy.
By the same token,one cannot assume they are all unhappy.
One can only take the number of disgrunted owners on here,compare it with the number of 170 owners registered on here,and use that percentage as a UK wide guideline.

How many 170 owners might there be on here and the other forums ?
As much as 100 ?
I doubt it,but let's say 100 for the sake of argument.
So that's 13% that are so hacked off they want an official complaint.
There will be others that aren't willing to put their names forward,they don't want the fuss.
So that's 13% of 170's with a common problem,minimum ?

Whilst I agree that there are obviously a great many people with this problem, you can't treat any forum such as this as representative of the customer base as a whole, the demographic is serious skewed.

Firstly there's the obvious issue that people are far more likely to complain than they are to praise and secondly, anyone frequenting a forum such as this will be a car enthusiast and thus far more likely to pick up on, and take issue with, problems such as this.

The only conclusion you can draw from such polls is that there's a large problem here, you can't equate percentages and assume that, because x% of people on here have an issue, x% of all 170TDI owners do too.

The only conclusion you can draw from such polls is that there's a large problem here, you can't equate percentages and assume that, because x% of people on here have an issue, x% of all 170TDI owners do too.)
I agree you would need a poll of a least a thousand to draw a conclusion on percentages but it does give some indication of problems some people are experiencing with 170 engine.Also people on here are just as likely to praise their car as critisize it, me for one no problems with dpf or tractor noises and still loving it.