Advice regarding powerflow exhaust

john_cook

I was the STIG.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

tomorrow i'm getting some powerflow twin tailpipes fitted to my car (A3 2005 2.0 TDI sport). I dropped Eeef a message and he said he had the same done to his, but they retained the backbox and he basically just had the twin pipes welded onto his existing backbox.

Here is my problem. The guy at top gear burnley said I dont need my backbox as its a diesel car and doesnt really do anything. He said it would be too difficult to retain the backbox and he wants to remove it and then weld a new bit of pipe from further forward in the exhaust system (just proximal to the backbox) and fit the new twin pipes to that (hence I have no backbox).

This sounds dodgy to me, do I need a backbox? Should I go elsewhere or get him to fit a new backbox with this tailpipe?

Really need some advice as I have no clue about this sort of stuff. I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!!

Cooky

come on guys, am getting this thing fitted tomorrow morning. Need some advice!

cooky

Sounds a bit dodgy to me but then I wouldnt get anyone to weld different tail pipes onto my car anyway. IMO either buy a new exhaust or dont bother.

Call other performance exhausts companies such as MTM etc and ask them, they might know...

am going to see if they can retain the backbox and just weld the tips over the current ones. This way its pretty much a cosmetic only change as its just like sticking on an outer rim over the current exhaust. Am not happy with them taking the backbox off so that won't be happening.

cooky