Creaking when handbrake applied?

sat1983

Reaction score
..ever since I've had the A3 it never fails to creak when the handbrake is applied on a hill. I thought this only happened on older, tired cars.
It's a 56 plate and it's been doing it for months. Should I worry? Should it go back to audi?
Also the car kinda shakes slightly when its in neutral say at a traffic light, doesn't bother me too much but was wondering if it was a known issue?
Ta peeps.

I have the EXACT same problem with the creaking and it also only creaks when the handbrake is applied. It almost sounds like a metal crunching noise and is very worrying. Mine comes from the rear of the car.

I haven't gotten it checked out yet but am going to as soon as someone here might know what it could be.

Me as well. I think it's down to how tightly the handbrake is on.
The tighter it's on the less the creaking. Well that's what it seems like anyway.

What you describe is actually normal behaviour. It is not something that is unique to Audi.

The hand brake operates separately to the car's man braking system.

The hand brake cable usually actuates these rear disc clippers mechanically with much less force than is available through the hydraulic boosted system.

The creaking noise that you hear in the back is the slippage between the callipers and the brake discs. The obvious thing to do is to apply the hand brake more.

After heavy braking, the brake discs are hot. When the car is stationary, they start to cool down and as a result, they contract (slightly). If you apply the hand brake lightly, the braking effect of is basically reduced and you may find your parked car rolling down hill.

That is why even with modern braking systems, it is always a good idea to leave a car parked in 1st or reverse gear.

I do apply it as high as I can, always do. And always leave it in gear??

sat1983 said:
I do apply it as high as I can, always do. And always leave it in gear??

Yes if on a hill. When we went to the 'ring my mate parked his 8L S3 in the car park after a lap and went to the cafe. When he came back he was nose to nose with an brand new bmw. Obviously his discs were hugely warm from racing on the track so this is the extreme, but it wasn't even a big gradient!

I'd be suprised if this happened to someone after a normal bout of driving but maybe with a bigger hill it would. Ultimately it's just not worth the risk!

Sorry re-read what I put and the question mark didn't make it clear. I meant that I always put the car in gear, always have done. Living in Sheffield and in a hilly area you soon learn that it is vital the put the car in gear!

Sat1983, the shaking you mentioned, is that a fore & aft shaking, feels like it's a petrol engine on choke ?

sat1983 said:
Sorry re-read what I put and the question mark didn't make it clear. I meant that I always put the car in gear, always have done. Living in Sheffield and in a hilly area you soon learn that it is vital the put the car in gear!

I bet! lol

Mine creaks when I apply the handbrake on a hill too.
Really loud.
Like,"shut up you're embarrassing me" loud.

Detector said:
Sat1983, the shaking you mentioned, is that a fore & aft shaking, feels like it's a petrol engine on choke ?

The seats shakes basically. Passenger feels it too.

i think its normal - it is simply a ase of 'pull the handbrake up a nother notch' - can't say it bothers me, its like when your creeping in traffic you can hear the same creaking noise from the front brakes with light braking when the car is rolling

steve184 said:
i think its normal - it is simply a ase of 'pull the handbrake up a nother notch' - can't say it bothers me, its like when your creeping in traffic you can hear the same creaking noise from the front brakes with light braking when the car is rolling

I don't suppose it's a problem as such,it's just the sort of thing that raises eyebrows from passengers and passers-by.
I don't like my car drawing attention to itself and me.

Is there any chance of any adverse effects on the gears from always leaving your car in gear when parked?

BennyB0Y said:
Is there any chance of any adverse effects on the gears from always leaving your car in gear when parked?
Nope. Probably not advisable to let the gearbox take all the weight of the car every time you park up, but as a 'safety net', leaving it in gear won't do any harm. I guess it's just like leaving an auto box in 'Park'.

BennyB0Y said:

If you ensure you put the handbrake on fully first before leaving in gear then there's no strain whatsoever on the 'box unless the handbrake fails.

On my old VW Golf TDi it felt like the handbrake would become a little less loose as time went on.