what turbo on the new s3?

20vtdaz

Reaction score
hi guys just a quick question, what turbo does the new s3 use, thanks, daz

Didn't they use the K04 in the 8L S3 after 2000-2001 (when the revision kicked in)...

Yes, they used K04 on the 8L S3 too.
But on the 8P S3 it's a twin scroll K04 and I don't know if it's exactly the same as the K04 on the 8L.

aiculedtzu said:
Yes, they used K04 on the 8L S3 too.
But on the 8P S3 it's a twin scroll K04 and I don't know if it's exactly the same as the K04 on the 8L.

All the press releases and reviews state it is a completely different turbo on the new S3 compared to the old.

This is off a review:

"The new turbocharger has a larger turbine and compression rotor than the basic unit. Its cast steel casing – produced as a single piece including the manifold – withstands exhaust gas temperatures of up to 1,050 degrees. The turbocharger generates a boost pressure of 1.2 bar instead of 0.9 bar on the starting version".

So its even very different over a 2.0TFSI

basicallythe k03 was used in 150bhp A3/A4, 163bhp 190bhp, TT180bhp, the K04 was used in the old S3, cupa R , and TT225, the KO4 on the new S3 is the same as the old S3 but better and internals basically to move more air and quicker.

The 8L does have a KO4 turbo, as I had 2 of them!

I understood from my post above the 2.0TFSI also has a KO4 turbo but the S3 turbo is a revised version of this?

i have said the the old S3 has the KO4, the 2.0tfsi gti engine has the KO3, the edition 30, edition pirelli has the KO4.

I know you did but look at the times on the top left of the posts, I was typing my reply to aiculedtzu as you did yours and we posted at the same time!

Im pretty sure that the 2.0TFSI has a new version of the K03, not sure which one though. The S3 is running a new version of the K04. I had a old pdf somewhere for the 2.0TFSI engine which showed the turbo(can't find it now though).